Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best use of Chase UR points for USA Mainland>Hawaii trip [Consolidated]

Best use of Chase UR points for USA Mainland>Hawaii trip [Consolidated]

Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:01 pm

First trip on miles to hawaii

Hello, forgive the total newbie. I would really love some help/guidance. I'm going to make my first trip on rewards points this summer to hawaii. I'm semi flexible on the dates. I want to leave for maui from any of the following cities Jacksonville, Atlanta, Detroit, San Diego, or Seattle. I Need to leave July 10-July 18 and return July 30-Aug 1. I wish I was more flexible. I have 66k Ultimate rewards, my wife has just over 60k, and I'm about a month away from a SW Companion pass (any updates on SW flights to hawaii??). Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by robreyes22
Hello, forgive the total newbie. I would really love some help/guidance. I'm going to make my first trip on rewards points this summer to hawaii. I'm semi flexible on the dates. I want to leave for maui from any of the following cities Jacksonville, Atlanta, Detroit, San Diego, or Seattle. I Need to leave July 10-July 18 and return July 30-Aug 1. I wish I was more flexible. I have 66k Ultimate rewards, my wife has just over 60k, and I'm about a month away from a SW Companion pass (any updates on SW flights to hawaii??). Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Go to United.com and do a search using your cities and dates. I did a quick search and San Diego to Honolulu RT is 45,000. Transfer your UR points to United and you are good to go.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
Go to United.com and do a search using your cities and dates. I did a quick search and San Diego to Honolulu RT is 45,000. Transfer your UR points to United and you are good to go.
thanks! I will check that out now
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

UR in Maui?

I'm trying to use UR points for a trip for 3 people to Maui in April. For hotel - I have almost 200k points and couldn't figure out how to make best use of them. I found a 3 star place that would be 105k UR points for 4 nights (valued at 1.5cpp, almost $1,600). The 3 star place has a bedroom separate from the pull out sofa for the third person. I was looking at some of the Sheraton properties and they wanted something like an extra $100 per night for the third person - and it's within a studio.

Is there a better deal to be had, for example converting to Hyatt points or some other chain? I feel like using almost $1,600 in points for 4 nights hotel is a bit much for a 3 star hotel.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:37 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

As you see, I moved your question into an established thread on this topic. Scroll back to read previous ideas until someone with relevant experience is able to respond directly.

Last edited by mia; Feb 18, 2018 at 4:28 am
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by seeker2018
I'm trying to use UR points for a trip for 3 people to Maui in April. For hotel - I have almost 200k points and couldn't figure out how to make best use of them. I found a 3 star place that would be 105k UR points for 4 nights (valued at 1.5cpp, almost $1,600). The 3 star place has a bedroom separate from the pull out sofa for the third person. I was looking at some of the Sheraton properties and they wanted something like an extra $100 per night for the third person - and it's within a studio.

Is there a better deal to be had, for example converting to Hyatt points or some other chain? I feel like using almost $1,600 in points for 4 nights hotel is a bit much for a 3 star hotel.
Are your 3 people all adults? Is sleeping on a pull out sofa OK for the 3rd person?

Before transferring pts ck. the Hyatt site and see how many Hyatt pts you need to transfer & then compare to using UR pts and/or cash.

Also, what are your requirements? On the beach? Block or two away? How about a 2 * hotel? What's the name of the property that costs 105K UR?

Kihei, Lahaina, Kaanapali or further north?

My wife and I just returned from Maui and we used 100K UR for 5 nights in a 1BR condo that slept 3 that was OF. Older condo but fine. Look at condos.

You are starting too late to get the best deals. We usually start looking 10 to 11 months in advance.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 17, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by seeker2018
Hawaii is a tourist state. So hotels are expensive in nature.

The pricing may have to do with your travel date as well.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:52 pm

Thanks Philemer and Gary. Looks like Hyatt has no availability for my dates, and those rooms were studios as well anyway. Marriott options were even pricier in points pricing.

I booked the room a while ago and it looks like the options are getting pricier and fewer. I'm just going to stick with the one I got (it's a condo).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:43 am

Flights to Hawaii with Chase UR points???

Hi all, planning a family trip to Hawaii in Summer 2019 with Chase UR points. We have about 400k UR points available to redeem. We're flying out of the Hartford, CT.

What's our best options for booking flights to Hawaii (OGG) with our UR points?

* Book from Chase portal, about 55k points for economy
* Transfer points to United and book reward seats. This option seems expensive, about 90k United points for economy
* Trasnfer point to other airline partners?

Thanks much for your inputs
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:37 am

I think it is a better use of you UR points to buy the tix through their portal vs transfer to United. United appears to be stingy with normal Saver seats during next summer. That IS high time in OGG (July and August especially). Set a Google flights alert and watch for an airfare sale on the specific flights that would work for you, then buy through Chase portal
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Softwizard
I think it is a better use of you UR points to buy the tix through their portal vs transfer to United. United appears to be stingy with normal Saver seats during next summer. That IS high time in OGG (July and August especially). Set a Google flights alert and watch for an airfare sale on the specific flights that would work for you, then buy through Chase portal

Thanks. Wanted to make sure we don't overlook any other options.

It seems all these stories where people booked first class flights, etc. with their UR points might be exaggerated?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:07 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by HaViet
.... stories where people booked first class flights, etc. with their UR points might be exaggerated?
Not necessarily. Your first post mentions economy class. The answer may be different if you are looking for a premium cabin, because the relationship between ticket prices and award ticket mileage requirements is different.

Last edited by mia; Aug 23, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
Not necessarily. Your first post mention economy class. The answer may be different if you are looking for a premium cabin, because the relationship between ticket prices and award ticket mileage requirements is different.
+1

The chance of scoring a premium class seat (or I should say any seats at all) with UR depends highly on the traveler's flexibility and the number of people travelers.

For example, in OP's case, even the award inventory may not be available yet, OP's foreseeable problem is not about getting to OGG, but leaving from BDL. OP's best bet will be leaving from EWR or BOS, a less than preferred alternative.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:39 pm

If u want a Premium class experience, Hawaiian Air would be best.
It is only 60k miles r/t in Hawaiian First between Hawaii and USA using Korean Air miles.
30k miles r/t in Economy.

But I dont know about flight award availability as they are not shown online.
Have to call Korean air reps to find out and book.
U can call them first and find out.

Also, Chase UR closes transfers to Korean Air very soon, Aug 25th.
So if u want to do that, u have to transfer the miles soon.

Originally Posted by HaViet
Hi all, planning a family trip to Hawaii in Summer 2019 with Chase UR points. We have about 400k UR points available to redeem. We're flying out of the Hartford, CT.

What's our best options for booking flights to Hawaii (OGG) with our UR points?

* Book from Chase portal, about 55k points for economy
* Transfer points to United and book reward seats. This option seems expensive, about 90k United points for economy
* Trasnfer point to other airline partners?

Thanks much for your inputs
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:06 pm
mia

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
... Premium class experience, Hawaiian Air would be best. It is only 60k miles r/t in Hawaiian First between Hawaii and USA using Korean Air miles.....
Note that Virgin Atlantic is also a Hawaiian Airlines partner, but the mileage requirements are ~double (except to West Coast airports). Redemption chart is here:

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...-airlines.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.