Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

All Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card offers [Consolidated]

Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Moderator Note: This thread is now archived.

Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1745852-ritz-carlton-rewards-card-2016-onward.html

===============================================Bes t public available offer:
Two free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $3k spent. Annual fee of $395 NOT waived. https://www.theritzcarltonrewardscard.com/2CN

$300 Annual Travel Credit
"Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight."

Actual T&C language, as of 08.22.15:"Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees."

As of 1/2/2015, Credit for these charges are based on TRANSACTION (purchase) date, not posting date. If you made an eligible purchase before the end of the year, even if it doesn't post until the following year, you can still receive credit for the previous year. See post #1268

DO NOT attempt to get all $300 in one transaction. Most CSRs will question what incedential charge would be so high. Instead, get multiple smaller gift cards which line up with fees that airline charges. Make sure that whatever amounts you choose, you have an explanation ready for each. For example, AA overweight baggage fee is $150. $50 is first checked bag for 2 ppl. $75 is in the range of upgrade fees, etc.

Reimbursed:

AA e-Giftcards
Southwest eGiftcards - As of 12/30/14 Chase can distinguish between "incidental" and gift card purchase. YMMV depending on CSR.
Delta Giftcards (YMMV)
$78 AA Award flight taxes reimbursed
$22 BA Award flight taxes reimbursed
~$150 AA award fees, taxes, fuel surcharge reimbursed
$246 AA award fees, booking fee, all reported as upgrading to busn award
United Flight Taxes
Spirit Big Front Seats
Spirit Onboard Food and Drinks
DL Ticket Change fee $300
$210 DL first class up-fare
$300 of a $525 AA Admirals Club annual membership
$50 DL Transfer miles fee (2k miles plus $30 fee)
~$160 SQ award fees (circa 2014)
$70 upgraded seats on AA
$34 US award fees
$34 BA Award fees
$90 oneway ticket on AA (paid additional $90 with AA e-gc from last year)
$84.50 x 2 AA award fees
$150 B6 change fees er...umm..."seat upgrades"
$75 UA gift registry (no longer works as of Summer 2015)
$49.95 Bags VIP charge. It surprised me that it went since it comes up as BagsVIP and not an airline. I told the CSR it was AA's partner for baggage delivery and that I was (honestly) unsure if it would work.
UA Gift Registry $150 (one worked, one didn't) -- no longer works as of Summer 2015
$274 BA seat selection for 2 J class seats, LAX-LHR (Jan 2016)

Not Reimbursed:
$315 Avianca ticket charge
United giftcards
$150 AA award redeposit fee (YMMV)
UA Gift Registry $150 (one worked, one didn't)

The deal for 140K points is dead. Chase has replaced it with a complimentary night stay at any Tier 1-4 Ritz-Carlton hotel after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months, available here. As of February 12, 2015, there IS A BETTER known public offer (see below).

The 70K offer is long gone.

[EXPIRED] Active link found on blog 12/16 for 140K offer: https://www.theritzcarltonrewardscard.com/offer140k
Many have applied through this link only to find the application was assigned to a different promo for 2 free nights instead of points. Calling JP Morgan Chase CS has indicated they are aware of this issue and CSRs are expecting the 140k points to be honored but no one in this situation has actually received the 140k points as of Dec 28, 2014.

[EXPIRED] As reported by ghitt87: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22807838-post16.html
Call 1-888-846-7004 to apply.
Mention these RSVP:
F5BP - 140k points after 2k spend in 3 months. Annual fee of $395 not waived first year. - DEAD 9/25
F53K - 70k points, $395 waived first year.

I wasn't targeted, but called and used the RSVP code (5/2). Just act like you got it in the mail.
See also post #483 and following: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23230523-post483.html
Print Wikipost

All Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card offers [Consolidated]

Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:57 am

Its interesting that Amex Platinum is so much more laissez-faire about this with similar TOS but no difficulty with GC reimbursement. Since Chase aims this as a competitor I think they should relax the rules. I will fly enough to get early boarding on WN and upgrades on AA and perhaps GE for my children to spend the $300 so the cost to them will be the same.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:07 pm

Chase doesn't really care what you think.

They put the $300 credit in knowing that most people won't use it, and those that don't subsidize those people that do. If too many people start abusing it, then they'll make it harder and harder to get until it balances out. Pretty simple economics at play here.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
Apologize for my ignorance, but when you say you sent reimbursement request in by "SM," does that mean "snail mail?" If so, what is that address (I read the wiki, but doesn't have it). I have been approved for the card, but not yet received it . . . if the SM address is in the materials that come with the card, just let me know that, thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:37 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Paul5795
Apologize for my ignorance, but when you say you sent reimbursement request in by "SM," does that mean "snail mail?" If so, what is that address (I read the wiki, but doesn't have it). I have been approved for the card, but not yet received it . . . if the SM address is in the materials that come with the card, just let me know that, thanks.

SM is secure message.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

Data point: applied for the card yesterday. Confirmed with CS during recon on the bonus - 140k or equivalent, like the landing page says. He advised to contact them if the bonus doesnt post.

Question: I put my MR # like most, but during recon, the CSR still talked about creating a ritz account first, before they can expediate the card. what gives?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by krisk13
Data point: applied for the card yesterday. Confirmed with CS during recon on the bonus - 140k or equivalent, like the landing page says. He advised to contact them if the bonus doesnt post.

Question: I put my MR # like most, but during recon, the CSR still talked about creating a ritz account first, before they can expediate the card. what gives?
I just have one Recon CSR approved me on the phone as a new Reward Member Number for another card, and not the number I entered during application. So people... when you get approval from the recon CSR, make sure you double check the ff reward number of the card you applying.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by jft3

They put the $300 credit in knowing that most people won't use it, and those that don't subsidize those people that do. If too many people start abusing it, then they'll make it harder and harder to get until it balances out. Pretty simple economics at play here.
Yeah.. I can see the bridge are burning ...
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:23 pm

Data Point:

Auto-Approved on 01/17 - the card profile showed up on the Chase Online Portal the next day.

Put in the Marriott Rewards number during application, I had my existing Silver status change to Gold on 01/19.

01/20 - 3 CLUB LEVEL UPGRADE UP TO 7 NIGHTS Certificates have been posted on the Marriott profile.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
There's no benefit to threatening a mass market business. Institutions do not have feelings, they do not value any individual customer. No exceptions.
You missed my point. It's not about feelings or valuing a customer. It's simple economics.

If the AF posted within 60 days, and Chase refuses to credit you the $50 or whatever amount your GC was for, simply threaten to cancel as then the company weighs $50 vs. $395, since the AF will be refunded.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:17 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by TMM1982
You missed my point. It's not about feelings or valuing a customer. It's simple economics.

If the AF posted within 60 days, and Chase refuses to credit you the $50 or whatever amount your GC was for, simply threaten to cancel as then the company weighs $50 vs. $395, since the AF will be refunded.

That is not a proper cost-benefit analysis. There is actually a lot more than would go into the decision.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jft3

At the same time, they need to compete with the other cards that offer a similar benefit with a card at a similar price point ($400 - $500 AF). It is this card vs Citi Prestige vs Amex Plat. Most people are only going to carry one such card. Right now the Citi Presige has by far the best travel benefit, because it is automatic and airfare counts. Anyone who travels and uses the card will just get it. The question is, is their target market aware of this? Citi should probably do a better job of advertising it.

I suggested the Citi card to my friend because he flies a few times a year, plays a lot of golf, and stays at extremely expensive hotels (and pays out of pocket) so the 4th night free is a huge benefit for him. On his last trip to Hawaii he stayed at 2 different hotels, and, in one of them, he was paying $2200 a night for his suite and stayed for more than 4 days. That would have payed for several years of AFs in one trip. On the other hand, I would never suggest the RC card to him because it's not really worth anything. There is no way he is going to take the time to call in every time he has a $25 baggage fee.

Remember that their target market for this card is charging 6 figures a year to it. So while it is true that they don't want people to abuse the $300 travel credit, they also do not want to lose high-end customers to other cards. There is a balancing act there. Chase seems to be choosing the nickel-and-dime route over the make-it-easy-for-the-customer route. IMO, with this strategy, they will alienate the customers that they want (and the customers that they don't want will find ways to abuse the system anyway)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NDN
That is not a proper cost-benefit analysis. There is actually a lot more than would go into the decision.
The people handling phone calls are just goobers, not financial analysts.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Remember that their target market for this card is charging 6 figures a year to it. So while it is true that they don't want people to abuse the $300 travel credit, they also do not want to lose high-end customers to other cards. There is a balancing act there. Chase seems to be choosing the nickel-and-dime route over the make-it-easy-for-the-customer route. IMO, with this strategy, they will alienate the customers that they want (and the customers that they don't want will find ways to abuse the system anyway)
They will realize this soon enough. Can you imagine the reaction of a busy professional charging 500k a year and is told to send in documentation over a $50 baggage fee? LOL
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The people handling phone calls are just goobers, not financial analysts.
Which is why their job is to enforce the policies, not change them.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
They will realize this soon enough. Can you imagine the reaction of a busy professional charging 500k a year and is told to send in documentation over a $50 baggage fee? LOL
The odds of the people at Chase making $500k a year being the ones collecting documentation from us and submitting reimbursements is 0.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.