Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase application pending review [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The thread (and wiki) you should be reading instead of this one is Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present. Do yourself a favor and go there now.
Print Wikipost

Chase application pending review [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:47 pm

Yeah, it definitely seems like they have different standards for the co-branded cards vs. the Freedom/CSP types.

Just to add my own data points, was shot down for the Freedom due to too many apps (7 in 2 years, one in the last 6 months, and it wasn't a Chase). Currently have over 30k of credit on two Chase cards, but reconsiderration was completely unwilling to let me horsetrade any of that credit in order to get approved for the new Freedom.

Both of my current cards have annual fees coming up soon and I was already leaning towards closing them. Given how big a player Chase is in this game, it seems crazy to not have any open accounts with them, but, at the same time, I'm reluctant to keep giving business to a company that apparently doesn't want me as a customer...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by NRTBound2015

I'm reluctant to keep giving business to a company that apparently doesn't want me as a customer...
Well to be fair, you have to see it from their perspective, they're trying to protect their interests and lessen the churners who just grab the points and cancel before the AF hit. You know, like most of the FTers do..
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:52 am

Just another data point that I was denied for the Freedom for too many cards in the last 2 years. I was either at 5 or 6 (one opened in May 2013 that I assume would have fallen off). Did not do my homework and read this thread before applying!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:59 am

I have a Slate opened 12/14 and a Freedom opened 4/15. I applied for the UA right after instant approval for the Freedom and got denied for "too many applications." (Applied/approved for a Citi card same month as well.)

I plan to do the dual Southwest card game starting at the end of this year to score a companion pass, so I'm hoping to get approved for those around December in the interest of earning the pass as early as possible in 2016.

Should I cancel the Slate card? It's useless to me, since it earns no cash/points/miles, but it doesn't have an annual fee either, so I don't particularly care about keeping it open. I transferred a balance to it upon opening, paid it off a month later, and haven't used it since. My Freedom CL is 1k and Slate CL is 3k. I'm not sure whether its presence will help or hinder my anticipated SW apps.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by RelaxPreppy
wife applied for chase freedom, and she has never had it before but did not get instant approval... not looking too good based off of recent posts

the s**tty thing is, we wouldnt even try to churn the freedom card since its no fee and we put all of our spend on CSP, freedom, and arrival+

780 FICO
plenty of income
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 2/1/2014 (closed)
United MileagePlus Explorer - 2/3/2014 (closed)
US Airways Premier World MasterCard - 10/7/2014 (closed)
Citi AAdvantage - 10/7/2014 (closed)
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus - 12/2/2014
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - 12/8/2014
US Airways Premier World MasterCard - 2/11/2015
called recon today and it was declined for too many cards in 2 years.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by benny08
Ritz-Carlton is a co-brand card. We are talking about Chase own line of CC like Freedom, Sapphire, and Slate.
So it seems we have figured out that:

1. If you got more than 4 cards in the last 2 years and you apply for Freedom, Sapphire or Slate, you're sunk.

2. If you got more than 4 cards in the last 2 years and you apply for a co-branded card like UAL, Marriott, RC, Hyatt, Amtrak, you can keep churning as before.

Have a I got it right?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I also received the decision-pending notice online. Searched the thread and found this for the recon number: 888-270-2127.

However, do I have to wait for the letter and reference number? Could I call tomorrow and ask about status just by providing personal details?

I'm getting ready for a trip to Europe and may have made a newbie mistake by applying for three cards today (two chip & pin and the Chase Freedom). Approved by Barclay's and Citi.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mustache
I have a Slate opened 12/14 and a Freedom opened 4/15. I applied for the UA right after instant approval for the Freedom and got denied for "too many applications." (Applied/approved for a Citi card same month as well.)

I plan to do the dual Southwest card game starting at the end of this year to score a companion pass, so I'm hoping to get approved for those around December in the interest of earning the pass as early as possible in 2016.

Should I cancel the Slate card? It's useless to me, since it earns no cash/points/miles, but it doesn't have an annual fee either, so I don't particularly care about keeping it open. I transferred a balance to it upon opening, paid it off a month later, and haven't used it since. My Freedom CL is 1k and Slate CL is 3k. I'm not sure whether its presence will help or hinder my anticipated SW apps.

Thanks for any advice!
Just curious if you called in to get the UA application reconsidered? It seems to be a problem with CSP and Freedom but the co-branded UA card should not be affected and reconsideration may help approve it.

Give it a try and let us know your data point. Thanks and good luck.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by 12Mermaids
I also received the decision-pending notice online. Searched the thread and found this for the recon number: 888-270-2127.

However, do I have to wait for the letter and reference number? Could I call tomorrow and ask about status just by providing personal details?

I'm getting ready for a trip to Europe and may have made a newbie mistake by applying for three cards today (two chip & pin and the Chase Freedom). Approved by Barclay's and Citi.
you can call right away, they will just verify name, ssn, address
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mustache

Thanks for any advice!
Never close a free card. Keeping it open helps increase the average age of the cards that you have open. The higher the age, the better your credit score.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Just curious if you called in to get the UA application reconsidered? It seems to be a problem with CSP and Freedom but the co-branded UA card should not be affected and reconsideration may help approve it.

Give it a try and let us know your data point. Thanks and good luck.
I didn't call; that was my first attempt at applying for cards to churn (new to this game) and I just took it as a sign that I didn't need a third min-spend to meet in my first three months. I think it's too late to call now, as that was two months ago.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Called and am approved for Chase Freedom. I think the pending review message is the Chase standard now?

Data points: FICO 790 as of last month, only one other Chase card (slate) from 2008, applied for three new cards within last year (all yesterday).

In case they are relevant, also have a Capital One card (no rewards), Discover It, and a Fidelity Visa.

Last edited by 12Mermaids; Jun 5, 2015 at 11:38 am Reason: Not sure if other cards matter as datapoints.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Do we know how chase business cards like the ink plus apps are being treated if you have more than four new accounts in the past two years? Is it a denial like the chase non-cobranded personal cards?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Called and am approved for Chase Freedom. I think the pending review message is the Chase standard now?
I don't think the pending review message is "standard." I was instantly approved for the Ritz Carlton card 2 weeks ago. I already had 4 other active Chase cards (RC card marks my fifth Chase card).
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:19 am
RNE

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
I don't think the pending review message is "standard." I was instantly approved for the Ritz Carlton card 2 weeks ago. I already had 4 other active Chase cards (RC card marks my fifth Chase card).
I think he means standard for Chase cards, not co-branded ones, like your Ritz card. However, I don't think we can draw that conclusion yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.