Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Old Jun 16, 12, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gotofly View Post
I cancelled my chase united card which I had from last 10 years and applied for the new one the denied so I called the number on the denial letter and explained to them that I was getting a different product and will like to switch the credit from my previous card onto the new one after involving a supervisor the approved me and will give me the card and bonus you can try the same
Chase is good at giving bonus on different products from the same partner - the operative key words are different products.

United cards are different - the current Explorer card or the Club card definitely have better benefits than the previous versions of UA cards.

The BA card has no difference - it has the same benefits for the previous offers and this offer - the only difference is the lower annual fee. Everything else it is identical and literally the same
product.

OTOH, if OP feels his wife's credit report can take a hit - he can certainly try and hope they get lucky and his wife would get a second card as well as the bonus - that brings up another caveat - Chase can give you the card but not necessarily the bonus.
Old Jun 17, 12, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Why would you apply the 100k/$20K spend versus this 50K+50K and only $150 in total version?

It would be interesting to see if Chase gives you a bonus or a nasty letter after your 1st statement.

Time line makes little difference in Chase cards unlike that with Citi. Different product is the key. Unfortunately the 100K with $20K spend offer seems to be the SAME product as the one you canceled before. The card in this thread seems to be treated as a different product from previous product, as evidenced by the difference in annual fee. There are already reports about folks who have had the 100K version cards before, have gotten bonus on this version. Why re-invented the wheel when there are already trail-blazers to provide proven results?

Good Luck and please report back the outcome for the community.

PS
As with airline programs, DONT ever generalize rules among card issuers - they all work differently and have different nuances to be aware of.
Update:

First, I applied for the 100k/$20k spend because that's an easy spend for me and I don't have to wait for a year to get the 100k miles, and I don't have to pay $150.

Second, the approval came through after a long (13-day) delay, with no need to talk to the reconsideration dept. or change any credit lines. Existing Marriott Visa and BA Visa have the same credit line. So, while they didn't tell me the reason for the further review, I still think it's because I applied for the BA within a few months of applying for the Marriott Visa. When I call to activate the card (which I just called to get expedited), I'll ask the CSR to verify the mileage bonus.
Old Jun 17, 12, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Islander View Post
Update:

First, I applied for the 100k/$20k spend because that's an easy spend for me and I don't have to wait for a year to get the 100k miles, and I don't have to pay $150.

Second, the approval came through after a long (13-day) delay, with no need to talk to the reconsideration dept. or change any credit lines. Existing Marriott Visa and BA Visa have the same credit line. So, while they didn't tell me the reason for the further review, I still think it's because I applied for the BA within a few months of applying for the Marriott Visa. When I call to activate the card (which I just called to get expedited), I'll ask the CSR to verify the mileage bonus.
The CSR will verify the bonus attached to the offer, but it does not mean the bonus would actually be issued if you have the 100K BA card before.

I believe it has already been reported in other Chase affinity cards threads that the CSRs verified the bonuses but the posters still got a letter at 1st statement to tell them no bonuses and the reason why. This does not surprised me a bit because this is how Chase operates.

Unlike Citi, with Chase if you apply the same card you have had it before, it really is a crapshoot - not until you finally get the bonus you do not know whether you would actually get it or not - because Chase does not guard the gate like Citi does. Chase would happily let you have the card as long as you are deemed a credit-worthy customer, Chase CSR would only know what the card application is for, but no prior knowledge right in front of you regarding your history on that particular card... I have someone told me last year he did not get bonus on the UA card (before the current version of Explorer) despite the CSR verified it for him... he sent a SM to inquire. Guess what? The agent wrote back to point out how he has gotten UA card bonuses in the past, one by one, dated back to 2006! And that was the reason why he wouldn't get any.

My view is, if one gets a 2nd bonus on the same version of the card, considers oneself very lucky. For myself, with Chase I would not waste my effort to apply for the same version of a card of which I already got bonus on. You can consider this is a lesson learned from someone who has gotten burned before, albeit a couple years ago.
Old Jun 17, 12, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
No, AS cannot be booked online because, guess what? It does not show up on BA site. It has always been this way and BA has no plan to change it.

As for AA flights, only the Saaver availability would show up as this the only seats you can book using partner's "currency".
ExpertFlyer does show AS and AA award availability (true AA MileSAAver award). EF doesn't show BA, unfortunately. EF is a subscription service, but there is a free trial available.

On top of that, if the AA award involves connections, sometimes they do not show up on BA site. You would not want to book those with Avios anyway, as each additional segment would cost additional miles - therefore, an award JFK-LAX nonstop would cost LESS than JFK-DFW-LAX, even though both get you to LAX.
EF shows the availability segment by segment, which is nice (or you can search segment by segment, which is often better).

Finally, there is no substitutes for easier search on BA site. In fact, we AAdvantage users are GRATEFUL for the BA site which allows us to search for partner availability using AA miles as AA does not have such ability!
Does Award Nexus search BA?

Originally Posted by factory81 View Post
I have come to learn that there are a few ways to use your BA miles, especially the 100k. But the most appropriate really is to just redeem a business class ticket for 80k to LHR.
You can book first class on AA, which I personally prefer to first on BA (although most here would disagree).

Originally Posted by factory81 View Post
What I am looking for is someone to point me to what other kinds of trips I can take with 100k avios (from ORD).
I've yet to use my Avios, so I'm still a n00b with much to learn. You might think about a business class award on AA to the Caribbean, or a business or first class award on CX.

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
The KVS Availability Tool is a text-based specialized web browser that could make the process faster, tho not necessarily easier.
I've read much about the wonders of KVS, but have yet to try it since I use an underpowered Mac and don't want the memory and performance hit of running VMWare Fusion, plus the learning curve of how to use it (although I'm sure once I did learn it would be very handy). I do use the Qantas, Cathay, and Japan Airlines web sites to do OneWorld award searches, and have played with Award Nexus which seems very handy.

Originally Posted by IMH View Post
It can be handy to have a chipped card in Europe, but most of the time it isn't as big a deal as many people seem to think. This year I've used my chipless Sapphire and BA Visa at multiple locations in Belgium, England, France and Germany. Having a card with a chip will save time in some locations by allowing you to use ticket vending machines.
This has been my experience as well, but obviously YMMV depending on what one buys when and where.

Originally Posted by birdyy View Post
Thanks everyone. I went through the process exactly as described and on the payment page no offer popped up. I'll have to try it again.
Be sure you're logged out of BA as well.

Originally Posted by bdelariva View Post
So I got approved and I called Chase @ 888-609-7805 (Reconsideration Line)
I thought it was 888-270-2127?

Originally Posted by DziVang View Post
It's just simple - if you haven't received Avios bonus prior (previous British Airways points do not count), then you are eligible. I believe they switched to Avios since last November.
I have a Chase United BA card from last Summer (got the 100k offer then). Does this mean I could get this new one? I suppose I'd have to cancel the current one and wait a while, and even then might or might not get the bonus?

Originally Posted by 8tracks View Post
Does this card earn any extra Avios (beyond 1.25/Dollar) when used for BA hotel or rental car partner services (as the Chase Southwest Visa earns with SW partners)?
My current Chase BA card says it earns 1.5 Avios/dollar in general, and 3 Avos/dollar for BA purchases.
Old Jun 18, 12, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
>>I thought it was 888-270-2127?

I just called 888-609-7805 this morning for reconsideration. Worked like a charm.
Old Jun 18, 12, 9:27 pm

I've just canceled Chase BA card after 11 months and I just thought of my upcoming reservations with Avios miles. They're safe right, even after I canceled the card? Silly question, I know.
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy View Post
I've just canceled Chase BA card after 11 months and I just thought of my upcoming reservations with Avios miles. They're safe right, even after I canceled the card? Silly question, I know.
I wouldn't worry about it
Old Jun 20, 12, 1:54 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
The KVS Availability Tool is a text-based specialized web browser that could make the process faster, tho not necessarily easier.
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
I've read much about the wonders of KVS, but have yet to try it since I use an underpowered Mac and don't want the memory and performance hit of running VMWare Fusion, plus the learning curve of how to use it (although I'm sure once I did learn it would be very handy).
There are a number of other solutions available for Mac KVS Tool users -- please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Mac for details.
Old Jun 20, 12, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
Does Award Nexus search BA?

I've read much about the wonders of KVS, but have yet to try it since I use an underpowered Mac and don't want the memory and performance hit of running VMWare Fusion, plus the learning curve of how to use it (although I'm sure once I did learn it would be very handy). I do use the Qantas, Cathay, and Japan Airlines web sites to do OneWorld award searches, and have played with Award Nexus which seems very handy.
Yes AwardNexus searches BA.com, JL and QF websites as well, which is the same source KVS screen scrapes from to get BA award searches, no VMWare required. You can also look at www.awardtravelr.com
Old Jun 20, 12, 11:31 am

OK, so I'm still confused on when to make the due date in order to receive the bonus miles the soonest. I just got the card a couple of days ago and made my first purchase. Online, it shows my due date as July 23rd. What do I need to change it to? Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:37 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mbmiles88 View Post
OK, so I'm still confused on when to make the due date in order to receive the bonus miles the soonest. I just got the card a couple of days ago and made my first purchase. Online, it shows my due date as July 23rd. What do I need to change it to? Thanks.
fwiw, me and my wife had closing dates of 6/9 and 6/6, and she got her miles and i didnt. and my miles posted 6/10 so i figure its either 6/7 6/8 6/9
Old Jun 20, 12, 2:26 pm

I was looking at the 50k Avios after the first purchase and another 50K on the one year anniversary. Do you need to buy a ticket through BA in order to get this bonus? It seemed like it was back and forth on some of the previous posts I read (although I didn't go through all 47 pages).
Old Jun 20, 12, 3:26 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Merice107 View Post
I was looking at the 50k Avios after the first purchase and another 50K on the one year anniversary. Do you need to buy a ticket through BA in order to get this bonus? It seemed like it was back and forth on some of the previous posts I read (although I didn't go through all 47 pages).
The answer to your question has definitely been answered multiple times in many of the previous 47 pages.
Old Jun 20, 12, 3:27 pm

Programs: Amex MR, UR, AA, UA
Deal worked great

My first mega-offer card after following the FT forum for a while! (finally created an account to contribute). Thanks everyone for sharing their stories and experiences.

Simply tried to book a ticket from JFK-LHR refundable one way and was offered the 50k/50k Avios card at checkout. I was signed into my Avios account. No ticket was purchased. People had been saying that because the other Avios offer (the one that required $20k annual spend) was ending, this one may get pulled as well. I decided to apply for this card despite getting the Sapphire Preferred less than two months ago. I was itching to apply for this card because I live in an AA hub and those miles would be very very valuable.

Was not instantly approved, called reconsideration line and had to shift some credit from my SP but was approved ultimately. Upon activation, deal was confirmed

Applied and Approved: 6/7
Approval E-Mail: 6/7
Annual Fee Posted: TBD
Miles Awarded: TBD
Old Jun 21, 12, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Merice107 View Post
no you do not need to buy a ticket. read post #604 on page 41 for detailed instructions on how to get the offer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: