Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdyy
Thanks everyone. I went through the process exactly as described and on the payment page no offer popped up. I'll have to try it again.
Have you chosen a flight that is BELOW $2000 in value? Anything higher than $2000 would not bring up the CC offer as people have found out many pages ago.

Clear all the cookies / caches and may be using the Incognito window of Chrome to try again and use a fare that is below $2000, see if it would work.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I would not waste my avios for Intra-Europe Club World - the business class intra-Europe really is just a glorified coach seat but between the 2 seats you have a very strange "middle seat" that cannot be seated (very tiny) therefore it is "blocked" to give you some space which is virtually useless as neither one of you sitting on each side could make use of the space to enhance your own seat.

If you really want to experience premium cabin travel TATL on BA, and do not mind to pay the YQ that is more or less equal to a coach ticket on sale (and earns you miles), then yeah, using the Avios for a TATL trip in Club World may be worth it if you view it as paying for a coach ticket but travel in business.

That would NOT be my choice to use Avios though.

Avios is best to be used on Short Haul, SINGLE segment flights - be it in domestic US on AA or AS, or in Asia on CX or in South America on LAN, where intra-South America tickets are insanely expensive for foreigners, or intra-Africa would work well also. You dont pay YQ for domestic US, nor intra-South America. You do pay YQ (but not outrageously) on intra-Asia or intra-Africa. However since flights in those regions are not cheap, despite there are LCCs in Asia, the flights are still expensive when compared to the LCCs in Europe.

To give you some examples:

From MIA where I am, Avios would be great for Caribbeans if one wish to go, or Bermuda, or Eastern Canada.

From West Coast, Hawaii is a no brainer choice if you like Hawaii. Or up and down the West Coast on AS.

Intra-Asia, HKG-TPE R/T is only 9K Avios + $90 taxes and fees. A pay ticket often runs $300 if the ticket validity is longer than 7 days. Flights between Mainland China and Hong Kong are good candidates as well. Even routes between HKG and SE Asia are candidates.
Domestic Japan is also a very good value redemption. HND-CTS R/T is only 9K. I forgot how much is the taxes + fees - definitely cheaper than buying a ticket or taking a bullet train. (only up to the tunnel to Hokkaido, then you need to change to regular train - a very long train ride from Tokyo to Sapporo.)

Intra-South America the flights are insanely expensive for foreigners. Great to have Avios to redeem for LAN's flights on the cheap and no YQ to boot.

An FT friend has redeemed 9K Avios each for a r/t ticket between JNB and Victoria Falls that would cost $450 to buy... and he needs 5 tickets for the whole family...

Finally, if you have needs to travel to non-hub airports domestically and on a last-minute notice, then Avios is truly your money-saver in this scenario.

You also need to think outside the box, such as using other means (be it award or cheap fare) to position you to start an Avios redemption because each segment costs you additional Avios. Or, going from ORD to TPA on 7.5K then rent a car for a drive to MIA, your real destination where you would need a rental car anyway, instead of using 10K...

Lots of ways to skin the cat... ah, make the most out of your Avios.

Too many newbies do not want to spend time to really understand a program to find the optimal usage for their travel needs... It takes knowledge to know how to maximize what you have. Knowledge takes time and effort to acquire...

As a parting note on this off topic discussion, someone already posted this extremely useful calculator on this thread. I think I would repost this again.

http://www.wandr.me/Avios-Calculator.aspx

This would give you an idea on how much Avios would cost you on the SAME origin/destination but different routing.

Great post. I am using DTW/ORD as my departure airports and I went to AA to look at their map for direct flights out of ORD. Tons of great destinations I would enjoy visiting.

I will likely consider 25k r/t redemption in economy to SJU so I can explore Puerto Rico/British Virgin Islands. I bet there will be some great opportunities to collect/redeem hotel points for use in the BVI/Puerto Rico area.

Then find a way to collect another 5k avios to do the ORD-DUB on Aer Lingus for 80k in business class (it is 80k r/t business right?). Or I would suck it up and just pay the YQ to fly in to LHR and try a Club World seat.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Happy
Have you chosen a flight that is BELOW $2000 in value? Anything higher than $2000 would not bring up the CC offer as people have found out many pages ago.

Clear all the cookies / caches and may be using the Incognito window of Chrome to try again and use a fare that is below $2000, see if it would work.
Thank you so much. Yes, it was above 2000. I guess I missed that in the previous posts.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:41 pm

If I cancel the card a few days after the avios are posted to BA account, will I miss the posted avios?
I assume not, but just want to confirm.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou1
If I cancel the card a few days after the avios are posted to BA account, will I miss the posted avios?
I assume not, but just want to confirm.
Why would you cancel right after the avios posted? General advise is to cancel the card right before the annual fees hit.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou1
If I cancel the card a few days after the avios are posted to BA account...
If you cancel so soon after opening the account the miles could then, possibly, be taken back by Chase. Don't risk it; no reason to.

see posts #4 and #8 here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ing-miles.html

Last edited by muji; Jun 11, 2012 at 9:47 pm
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:37 am

Claw back, although rare, is a remote possibility. No real good reason to close a card so soon. Throw it in the desk drawer and and make a mental note to cancel in 10 or 11 months.

Even if you get to keep your miles, chase may not let you get back in the game and you will be riding the pine on the next offer.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:53 am

Since you have to wait a year for the second 50k, why cancel? I expect I will cancel 11 months after my first anniversary.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:14 am

Hey Guys,
How longer does it take for the first 50K to post? I was about to transfer 50K AMEX pts to BA for the trip but I would love to just apply for this new card.

So what is the turnaround time for those points to post?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by bdelariva
How longer does it take for the first 50K to post?
See post #599 of this thread.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:52 am

After 1st Billing Cycle (40days) --- Is there a way to cut the 1st billing cycle down

Last edited by bdelariva; Jun 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by bdelariva
After 1st Billing Cycle (40days) --- Is there a way to cut the 1st billing cycle down?
you should be able to call and have your billing date changed. if you receive the card and make a purchase on the 20th, call and have the date changed to the 21st. companies usually allow this.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esquish
you should be able to call and have your billing date changed. if you receive the card and make a purchase on the 20th, call and have the date changed to the 21st. companies usually allow this.
Be careful in requesting that.

The change usually does not take effect until the next billing cycle. (there are enough posts about how this could backfire - essentially lengthens the 1st billing cycle.)

The change once is put in, cannot be reversed if the outcome is not what you expect!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:03 am

i haven't personally done that but i've heard of others doing it. i'm sure when you called up to ask you could verify when the first billing cycle would fall?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esquish
i haven't personally done that but i've heard of others doing it. i'm sure when you called up to ask you could verify when the first billing cycle would fall?
Yes. You could verify the real statement close date by calling. The automatic system would give you that info anyway if you go thru the option prompts. You also can talk to a rep to find out and ask for the change.

The change is not based on statement close date, but the payment due date - so you need to do some calculation to figure out what payment due date would give you the desired statement due date.

I recently tried to do it on my UA card because I wanted to see my statement closes before a long trip instead of it being mid trip when I would be in Europe.

What happened was, the new date nullified the original date and essentially made my 1st statement a 50 days long cycle... And the rep found out she could not reverse it at all. I was lucky to get a good rep who sent a request to her manager to reverse it. The rep called me back after 3 days when she saw her note that she needed to inform me the change. When she called she told me what had transpired. The manager found out he could not reverse it to original date but could put in a new date - end result, after 2 days the statement date was changed back to a date that was 3 days after the original date - so I would still be aboard...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.