Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100k [50 + 25 + 25] Chase BA Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I just used 36,000 Avios to make reservations at the Nine Zero hotel in Boston. So for $95 in annual fees (I paid for one year after the initial free year), I was able to book 2 nights at a very nice hotel worth $700.

I'm mulling about using the last of my points at the Four Seasons Philadelphia. That would make the return on my investment even better.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Avios are so useful because BA and its partners have such extensive route maps, so you can basically fly any short distances in the world for dirt cheap.
This is the truth. I've used them for short hops in Russia on s7 and it's a great way to avoid the crappy trains.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Only fees on a domestic ticket are $2.50 per segment per passenger. For 2 people to fly roundtrip non-stop LAX to Hawaii would be 50K Avios + $10 ^
BA passes on the International Facility Fees for Hawaii tickets. It's actually $21.80/person RT.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:48 am

Good Deal

I just used 40,000 for a one way LIM-JFK in business that the cruise line wanted an extra $4,200 for to upgrade to business. Also only 9,000 for a flight from LIM-CUZ RT that would have cost $360.

Would be better if there was no annual fee.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:56 am

Application

I just applied and was approved. I received the 100k offer last year, cancelled the card a few months ago, but wanted to let folks know they can apply again, if it works for them.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I just applied and was approved. I received the 100k offer last year, cancelled the card a few months ago, but wanted to let folks know they can apply again, if it works for them.
Chase may deny bonus points even though you were accepted, FYI.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:29 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Can't imagine the spend being that tough considering Chase's bill payment center has so many companies that you can pay, and of course you still get rewards on payments and Chase doesn't add fees for any of them.

You can pay car and house insurance through there, membership fees for costco and AAA, cable bills, phone bills, many utility/energy suppliers, your SpeedPass account (and with what gas costs these days that one will add up quick), etc...

they even link to a company called something like "Pay Rent Online", but I have no idea how that works.

Figure if someone (like me) spends $1500 a year on car insurance, $500 on house insurace, $50 a month on phone ($600/yr), $50 a month on internet ($600/yr), $50 a month on cable ($600/yr), $200 a month on electric/gas ($2400/yr), etc then you're practically all set just paying your bills. They let you pay health club memberships thru there, Marriott vacation club membership fees, all kinds of stuff a lot of people might not realize.

Plus you can pay a ton of auto loans through there too, including to other CC companies like BOA and CapOne... so I don't see the drawback (yet).. except for people who already are paying all that stuff thru another CC in order to meet THAT spend!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:10 am

If I switch all my spending to this card I can easily pickup the initial 50k + 25k, and as I recall...the taste of 75k AA miles is pretty sweet.

Much more sweet then 75k Skypesos. I have such a boner for this credit card.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by factory81
If I switch all my spending to this card I can easily pickup the initial 50k + 25k, and as I recall...the taste of 75k AA miles is pretty sweet.

Much more sweet then 75k Skypesos. I have such a boner for this credit card.
LOL, it does seem pointless for international business with the high fees but I'm very very excited about the 4500 mile options between florida and bahamas / caribbean. Those flights are normally 17.5K AA miles! Great deal.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jsublime
LOL, it does seem pointless for international business with the high fees but I'm very very excited about the 4500 mile options between florida and bahamas / caribbean. Those flights are normally 17.5K AA miles! Great deal.
75K Avios = 75K AA = 2-3 free flights for me. I am not interested in flying BA and paying super high fees for international travel

Last edited by factory81; Apr 6, 2012 at 8:25 am Reason: .
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:51 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
This is a decent offer

Forget about 100K.

This is a 50K offer with $95 annual fee for the 99%. Useful on short hop non stop AA flights based on mileage using Avios chart or other AA domestic flights at 25K.

Three years ago we would have jumped for joy for 50K for $95. This offer is a sign of the times
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the high fuel surcharges involved when using such miles for tickets on BA flights, I would expect that BA and Chase would have to be at least somewhat more "generous" in nominal amount of miles granted for "sign-up".
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
Forget about 100K.

This is a 50K offer with $95 annual fee for the 99%. Useful on short hop non stop AA flights based on mileage using Avios chart or other AA domestic flights at 25K.

Three years ago we would have jumped for joy for 50K for $95. This offer is a sign of the times
In fact I think this is "generous". As FTG notes, it's basically 50k for $95. But you have the possibility of more, unlike on most cards. And 50k for $95 isn't far off from 40k for free, which is generally the standard (UA, US, DL, etc.)

Separate question: how does the companion pass work? Let's say I spend 30k in a year and get the CP. Now I have 130k Avios plus a CP. Does that mean if I redeem J to Europe for 100k, I can get a "free" companion J ticket to Europe, just paying YQ? So in other words, I'd get 2 r/t J to Europe for approximately $2200 + 100k Avios?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
...Let's say I spend 30k in a year and get the CP. Now I have 130k Avios plus a CP. Does that mean if I redeem J to Europe for 100k, I can get a "free" companion J ticket to Europe, just paying YQ? So in other words, I'd get 2 r/t J to Europe for approximately $2200 + 100k Avios?
Yes, but note that 100k will only take you to London, additional points required for connection to travel beyond. Note also that the $30,000 must be spent in a calendar year.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:12 am

For dual citizens, what's the best strategy to get both this offer and the Canadian 50k offer from RBC?

My first thought was to do the apps sequentiallly, getting RBC first since it has a 90day $5000 spend. Then changing the BAEC account address to the U.S. and applying to Chase.

My main concern with that is the Chase app may be gone by then and BAEC may frown upon changing countries. So now I am leaning towards two separate BAEC accounts, any thoughts?

Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Insane Fees

If this is addressed at length my apologies. I know BA is known for having high fees, but this seems ridiculous:

"Reward Flights
At time of publication all reward flights and travel together tickets are subject to fuel surcharges, taxes & fees of approximately $650 per person in economy or $1,100 in business class based on travel from New York to London."

I've flown BA from the US to Londen for close to $650 on a PAID ticket? I mean, is that really what the fee would be? Seems ridiculous and makes the miles almost worthless (if flying coach), unless I'm missing something here? I hope I am! How can they justify such high YQ or whatever that is?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.