Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YMMV: Chase Signups?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:56 am
Original Poster

YMMV: Chase Signups?

I was hoping a few people could chime in on their experiences with Chase.
How many Chase cards do you have currently?
How often do you sign up for Chase cards?
How many have you signed up for in a short period of time?

It seems Chase may be tightening the shoelaces a bit, but I wanted to see what others' experiences were.

I have one Chase card that I've had for years. I signed up for the Sapphire Preferred in July '11, and Marriott Premier in December '11. I want the Priority Club card soon, but I'm not sure when is too soon, as I don't want to trigger any red flags.
(FYI: I have had no issues. I just was thinking this info could be useful.)
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Much of this type of information is in this thread and others in the Credit Card Programs forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...er-thread.html

Last edited by mia; Apr 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by TravelMutt

It seems Chase may be tightening the shoelaces a bit, but I wanted to see what others' experiences were.

I have one Chase card that I've had for years. I signed up for the Sapphire Preferred in July '11, and Marriott Premier in December '11. I want the Priority Club card soon, but I'm not sure when is too soon, as I don't want to trigger any red flags.
I have 4 chase cards, 1 (Freedom) is from about 5 years ago, I don't think I got any signup bonus. The other 3 were from the past 14 months or so, each with a 50k bonus (Continental, United, Sapphire Preferred). I haven't had to call recon yet.

Looking at credit limits, the previous 2 had decent limits, but my latest card (SP) had the minimum $5000 limit. I'm guessing I'm at the maximum amount of credit Chase will give me.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
- I've gotten like 7 in the last year.
- Never apply for one more than 30 days after another.
- Basically, it takes $5,000 of credit limit to open a rewards card (1k for freedom (i think)). So if you have one card with a $6k limit, you can call (even after a denial) and lower your first cards limit to $1k and they'll open the second card. You can't really lower less than $1k but you can cancel (not as recommended).
If you have a $40k limit you can get many more cards and have room to work with. However, if you apply for too many, depending on your score, they might start to deny you for too much new credit. Hasn't happened to me yet.
- they can do what ever they want, so hold rules loosely.
- Also, I applied for biz card and Marriott card on same day. Both got denied. Made two separate calls to lower limits. Two approvals.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Much of this type of information is in this thread and others in the Credit Card Programs forum:

There's a Credit Card Programs forum?

Ooops. Well, unless they move it, this is still good info to have around here. Sorry.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
There's a Credit Card Programs forum?

Ooops. Well, unless they move it, this is still good info to have around here. Sorry.
Stunningly, there are even forums for the various airlines and hotel programs. And maybe even more stunning, forums about travel to various areas in the world, just in case you want recommendations for travel destinations and things to do once you get there.

If you've only bookmarked MilesBuzz, go up one level and bookmark http://www.flyertalk.com/forum. I love the credit card stuff too, but it's amazing how much information is on FT.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

+1 yes there is just a weath of knowledge and help available on many other forums
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mia

A lot of people don't look around before they post. I've spent hours reading threads and forums and found answers to questions I was going to ask. Good luck and hopefully you enjoy sharing knowledge with others. That's what FT is all about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.