Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Do I still get United Club passes annually as a card holder(or was that with explorer cards)? If so where can I find them, I recall reading they come electronically....
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flandery
Does anyone know what happens when you cancel the card?
-Will I get my AF refunded or prorated?
-Will my United Club membership be revoked immediately?
-Will I lose the Hyatt/Hertz status?

Ideally, I'd like to keep the club access as long as possible without paying another annual fee.
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Club membership is terminated immediately upon cancellation of the card.
Is this a for sure thing? My club membership shows expiring 7/31 and I’m planning to downgrade my card but was hoping to use the club a few more times in May/June.

If that is the case, what’s the latest policy on how long after the annual fee posts that you can still cancel and get it refunded?

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
instead of canceling, i downgraded this to a $60/y united card. it still provides access to XN fares as well as overhead bin access on basic econ. altho i have avoided united as much as possible, despite being silver. i'll take cattle Jetblue over E+ upgrade on UA
Any chance you could elaborate on what benefits this $60/year card offers? Years ago, I downgraded an explorer card to the free 1 mile/$2 card but never heard of a $60/year card with (potentially?) other perks.

On another note - can anyone confirm that if I downgrade my club card to the explorer right before the annual fee hits that I would receive the updated annual fee on the original scheduled date of the explorer card? And with that, I’d also be getting the benefits associated with it? Asking since I actually need to renew my GE within a week or so after I’m planning to switch, and have already been planning to get rid of my Club membership.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Is this a for sure thing? My club membership shows expiring 7/31 and I’m planning to downgrade my card but was hoping to use the club a few more times in May/June.

If that is the case, what’s the latest policy on how long after the annual fee posts that you can still cancel and get it refunded?
Yes. Your UC membership will be deactivated and the card will disappear from your UA account within a couple days of downgrading. As for the AF refund, it's the same as any Chase card. Full refund if cancelled/downgraded within 30 days, prorated thereafter.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
With the massive devaluation of MileagePlus, current state of UC amenities, loss of Hyatt status (even though Discoverist is pretty useless, extra points are nice) and recently refreshed MP Explorer card, can't imagine Chase is working OT to process applications here on this one here. Definitely hoping for some sort of 'refresh' or something

Last edited by DG206; Apr 9, 2019 at 9:19 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:42 pm

Club Fee Reimbursement

I've got Airline Club Fee reimbursement as a feature on another card. I was able to use this to obtain the Club Card for the first year and have the fees credited back to me. I'm wondering what will happen when my AF comes due. Will I be able to downgrade the card, pay the Club fee directly to United with my other card, then upgrade the card again and get the fee back? Do they stick you with the $50 initiation fee again? Has anybody done this or something similar? I'm wondering how willing Chase and United will be to work with me.
milesforhire and flandery like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
My club membership dropped off of my subscription list a little under a week after I initiated the credit card downgrade. When I'm looking at the membership on united.com, they include the $50 initiation fee as a part of the cost. I'm hoping that I can get an agent to waive it when I sign up in a couple of weeks since it would still be less than 30 days since it expired.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by time_stamp
I've got Airline Club Fee reimbursement as a feature on another card. I was able to use this to obtain the Club Card for the first year and have the fees credited back to me. I'm wondering what will happen when my AF comes due. Will I be able to downgrade the card, pay the Club fee directly to United with my other card, then upgrade the card again and get the fee back? Do they stick you with the $50 initiation fee again? Has anybody done this or something similar? I'm wondering how willing Chase and United will be to work with me.
That's interesting. Which card is this? I assume that most of them operate by reimbursing a charge made to the card, which you wouldn't be able to do with a credit card annual fee.

I think it might've worked better if you got the club membership before applying for the Club card (which then refunds you the Club membership fee, right?)
Old May 16, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by milesforhire
That's interesting. Which card is this? I assume that most of them operate by reimbursing a charge made to the card, which you wouldn't be able to do with a credit card annual fee.

I think it might've worked better if you got the club membership before applying for the Club card (which then refunds you the Club membership fee, right?)
So if this is an Amex it theoritically should work
Old May 18, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by milesforhire

Yeah, that is what I did. I already had a targeted offer for the Club card and then I purchased the club membership, waited for the reimbursement to clear, then applied for the card. Got (almost) everything I paid credited back.

Now what I need Chase to do is let me downgrade the card temporarily so I can purchase the membership again on the other card, then upgrade and get the fee credited back. Otherwise I'll have to just close it and let P2 do the same thing.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by DG206
can't imagine Chase is working OT to process applications here on this one here. Definitely hoping for some sort of 'refresh' or something
Agree, though I pay the club membership on one of my Amex that gives 200 back, essentially costing $350 a year. With a higher status that price would be lower.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:38 pm

With the massive devaluation of MileagePlus, current state of UC amenities, loss of Hyatt status (even though Discoverist is pretty useless, extra points are nice) and recently refreshed MP Explorer card, can't imagine Chase is working OT to process applications here on this one here. Definitely hoping for some sort of 'refresh' or something
I wouldn't expect a refresh until after UA enters into a new agreement with Chase (or another bank to issue the cards). Then I would expect 3-4 cards like Amex Offers for DL
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by N104UA
I wouldn't expect a refresh until after UA enters into a new agreement with Chase (or another bank to issue the cards). Then I would expect 3-4 cards like Amex Offers for DL
When is their contract up? They just redid the Explorer not that long ago, but UA already has 4 if you count the prepaid option (think DL has something somewhat similar)
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
United is reportedly trying to renegotiate their contract with Chase because it is not as lucrative as AA or DL's agreements with their co-brand issuers.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:20 pm

When is their contract up? They just redid the Explorer not that long ago, but UA already has 4 if you count the prepaid option (think DL has something somewhat similar)
It is not entirely clear who drove the Explorer refresh, if it was UA or Chase.

Contract is up on 2021, however these things take years to negotiate and I guarantee neither UA nor Chase wants to wait until 2021 to renew, and if UA can't get the deal they want they need time to shop to another issuer

https://skift.com/2019/04/17/united-airlines-plays-hardball-with-expedia-and-jp-morgan-chase/
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:33 pm

Wonder why the club business version is not on the Chase site, just UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.