Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:16 pm
BCH

Any latest experiences on the following? I have the United Club business card, which I will close this month, then I'd like to apply for United Club personal card for its 50,000-mile bonus and the United Explorer Business card for its 75,000-mile bonus.

I haven't gotten any United mileage bonuses from Chase in more than 24 months. And I only have 1 personal card open under my name. Am I safe to assume that I'll be able to get both cards' bonuses?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Just had my annual fee come up with my free year. So I cancelled the card (club access not worth the $450). However, my united club card says it expires 3/31. Does that mean I still have access to the club until then?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Is there any consensus as to whether this card (or any other) is the best to earn United miles for daily spend in non-bonus categories?

I'm looking for a card to maximize my random spend (eg college fees or health care). Is there anything better than the 1.5 miles per $ on this card?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase Freedom Unlimited and INK Unlimited also earn 1.5 points per dollar. These cards are free, and the points can be transferred to UA -provided- that you also have one of these cards (which are not free): JPM Reserve, Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, INK Preferred , INK Plus.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Chase Freedom Unlimited and INK Unlimited also earn 1.5 points per dollar. These cards are free, and the points can be transferred to UA -provided- that you also have one of these cards (which are not free): JPM Reserve, Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, INK Preferred , INK Plus.
Thanks! I have the Sapphire Reserve.
I'll consider one of the cards you mention.
The United Club card may provide value to me - still pondering that. It will give me UA Club access AND help me hit $25k spending for the PQD waiver (not sure if I need the waiver yet. Its possible).
but if not something like the Freedom Unlimited may be ideal - looking at this card I see it offers 1.5% cashback - is there some kind of trick to convert that into 1.5 Ultimate Rewards?

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Thanks! I have the Sapphire Reserve.
I'll consider one of the cards you mention.
The United Club card may provide value to me - still pondering that. It will give me UA Club access AND help me hit $25k spending for the PQD waiver (not sure if I need the waiver yet. Its possible).
but if not something like the Freedom Unlimited may be ideal - looking at this card I see it offers 1.5% cashback - is there some kind of trick to convert that into 1.5 Ultimate Rewards?
You can transfer your "cash" into UR points since you have the CSR. I've done this before but don't remember exactly how to do it, I just remember it was pretty straightforward.

You could also look at the Ink Cash. This is a free chase business card that earns 5% at office supply stores, which you can transfer to UR and therefore United Miles. I buy gas and other gift cards and I transfer to UA from time to time. It's a lot more work than just using a single 1.5x card, but I'm earning ~5K UR monthly on pretty normal spend (without any crazy MS shenanigans).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Freedom Unlimited may be ideal - looking at this card I see it offers 1.5% cashback - is there some kind of trick to convert that into 1.5 Ultimate Rewards?
That is just marketing spin. Freedom Unlimited and INK Cash earn UR points which could be redeemed for cash, but you can Combine the points earned using those cards with the points earned using Sapphire Reserve to Transfer to UA or another airline or hotel program.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:12 pm

Cancel United Club Card Then Reapply For New Bonus

Can I cancel my current United Club Card and then reapply to get the first year free again? I got this offer three years ago, so I had the first year free and then paid the annual fee for two years.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:21 pm

instead of canceling, i downgraded this to a $60/y united card. it still provides access to XN fares as well as overhead bin access on basic econ. altho i have avoided united as much as possible, despite being silver. i'll take cattle Jetblue over E+ upgrade on UA
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Anyone know what's the best option for GS w/ Lifetime Club access?
Looking at the Club card for tiebreaker situations, but not sure if it's with it over Explorer that we currently have. We have lifetime Club access since it was achieved at 3 million (when offered). Is the card worth the $450 annual fee just for the tie breaker?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:45 am

So are there 2 offers to consider?
1. The top link in the wiki works for me (no status). First year no AF, but no intro bonus points.
2. The standard offering of 50000 pts. AF is charged.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA
If you get this card does it replace your explorer card or coexist alongside it?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:07 am

It could coexist alongside the Explorer card but theres no additional benefit gained from Explorer. The Club card is equal to or better than it depending on perk. At least I'm pretty sure that is the case.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
It could coexist alongside the Explorer card but theres no additional benefit gained from Explorer. The Club card is equal to or better than it depending on perk. At least I'm pretty sure that is the case.
There are a couple of perks the Explorer card has that don't exist with the Club Card.
1 - The Explorer Card gives double miles for restaurants (1.5 miles with Club)
2 - The Explorer Card will reimburse you for TSA Pre or Global Entry
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
There are a couple of perks the Explorer card has that don't exist with the Club Card.
1 - The Explorer Card gives double miles for restaurants (1.5 miles with Club)
2 - The Explorer Card will reimburse you for TSA Pre or Global Entry
ah yes. Thanks for highlighting those.

Personally I have stopped considering the TSA/GE thing as much of a benefit in my mind. I have 3 cards that come with that. At best it's worth $20 a year on one card.

Im so used to using a Chase Sapphire Reserve for restaurants (3 miles per $), I forgot the Explorer was 2x.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.