Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:05 pm

As a data point, I applied on a Sunday night with instant approval. Today I entered the club around 2pm (maybe 18 hours, and less than a business day), fully expecting them to say my membership wasn't yet active. However, I scanned my boarding pass and sure enough it accepted me. So this can be very quick.

Also, I noticed in my account that the membership expiration date is actually 15 months from when I applied, not just 12 months!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:17 pm

Upgrade and then downgrade

I have a trip coming up and want to use the lounge in ORD. I have the no annual fee United credit card from Chase. Can I upgrade that to United Club card, pay $450 annual fee, downgrade again to get the prorated annual fee refund after the trip?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by alchemista
As a data point, I applied on a Sunday night with instant approval. Today I entered the club around 2pm (maybe 18 hours, and less than a business day), fully expecting them to say my membership wasn't yet active. However, I scanned my boarding pass and sure enough it accepted me. So this can be very quick.

Also, I noticed in my account that the membership expiration date is actually 15 months from when I applied, not just 12 months!
It’s 15 months so in case you cancel after a year it doesn’t trigger another year of free membership. They purposely make it 30 days past the 60 day window to get an AF refund.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
About 2.5 years ago, I took advantage of the 1-year annual fee waiver offer. Can I take advantage of the offer again?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
I let my paid UA club membership expire end of December due to being unhappy with lack of 2017 UC open in C-concourse at ORD and the main EWR UC closing in the fall for a Polaris makeover. But I took the offer....signed up on a Tuesday night had the card via FEDEX on Thursday (march 1) with UC membership valid till 5/31/2019. Membership showed up on my UA MP account in a couple of days so nice integration by CHASE and UA.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by cos999
I let my paid UA club membership expire end of December due to being unhappy with lack of 2017 UC open in C-concourse at ORD and the main EWR UC closing in the fall for a Polaris makeover. But I took the offer....signed up on a Tuesday night had the card via FEDEX on Thursday (march 1) with UC membership valid till 5/31/2019. Membership showed up on my UA MP account in a couple of days so nice integration by CHASE and UA.
Interesting... I applied a week or so ago. Received my Club Visa UPS yesterday. Nothing noted about the Club membership under my UA MP account as of now. I'm not flying for another week so, hopefully, it will be activated by then.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by KAFlyer
About 2.5 years ago, I took advantage of the 1-year annual fee waiver offer. Can I take advantage of the offer again?
as long as you don’t have the card anymore then yes. I’d downgrade the card to the nonfee version of united card so you can keep the old act open
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Data point: .Was targeted for a AF waived club card for 1 year with no sign up bonus, however I would prefer to get 50k miles and pay the $450 with the public offer.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:00 pm

How long should it take to have the bonus miles deposited after meeting the three month spend requirement? I had about $6k on the card within a week. That was over a month ago. No miles deposited yet.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
How long should it take to have the bonus miles deposited after meeting the three month spend requirement? I had about $6k on the card within a week. That was over a month ago. No miles deposited yet.
You get the credit for them after you paid that amount via statement, not just pit it on the card. Mine was pretty quick, definitely within a month after paying.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by alchemista
You get the credit for them after you paid that amount via statement, not just pit it on the card. Mine was pretty quick, definitely within a month after paying.
I paid it off a day or two after I made the charge.
Hopefully, it’ll be deposited soon.

UPDATE: Within moments of posting the above, I rechecked my account and the miles have been deposited.!

Last edited by Kensterfly; Apr 26, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
While it seems like a pretty good deal to get the UC for free for a year I have a hard time burning up a "5/24" spot to hold this card. Already have the Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and CSR. Getting a better return there and can still move to United at a better transfer rate if I want to go that route
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the actual Club membership card to arrive? I was approved on April 16. Received credit card April 18. Hoping to have the membership card by the end of next week so I can access partner lounges. Reading through the fine print on the application, it says it will take 6 weeks for the membership card to arrive. Does it really take that long? Wish I would have noticed that language sooner.

If it doesn't arrive, what are the chances that partner lounges will grant me access? In particular, I was hoping to access the LAX Star Alliance lounge due to a long layover. Do United Clubs print out temporary cards that might increase my chances of getting into partner lounges?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the actual Club membership card to arrive? I was approved on April 16. Received credit card April 18. Hoping to have the membership card by the end of next week so I can access partner lounges. Reading through the fine print on the application, it says it will take 6 weeks for the membership card to arrive. Does it really take that long? Wish I would have noticed that language sooner.

If it doesn't arrive, what are the chances that partner lounges will grant me access? In particular, I was hoping to access the LAX Star Alliance lounge due to a long layover. Do United Clubs print out temporary cards that might increase my chances of getting into partner lounges?
Have you looked on the app, sometimes it appears there before the actual card arrives.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by N104UA
Have you looked on the app, sometimes it appears there before the actual card arrives.
Yeah, it shows up on the app and United.com shows that I'm a Club member. Not worried about getting into United Clubs as I know they can just scan the barcode on the app. My concern is being able to get into Star Alliance and partner lounges. I've read that most partner lounges absolutely require the physical membership card for entry. Might be able to show the digital card and plead my case, but I'd rather have the physical card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.