Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Damond, Amex
I tried that but "The offer you are attempting to access is not available for the card account you entered. If you have another account, please try signing in using that card's information.:...
I don't know why I'm not eligible with my Chase United Club card...
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AirDream
I don't know why I'm not eligible with my Chase United Club card...
It could be that the offer is only available to Club accounts which were already open on a cut off date. If you opened the Club card recently, already knowing the restrictions on travel and lounge access, there is no reason for Chase or UA to give you a bonus as an incentive to keep the card open.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mia
It could be that the offer is only available to Club accounts which were already open on a cut off date. If you opened the Club card recently, already knowing the restrictions on travel and lounge access, there is no reason for Chase or UA to give you a bonus as an incentive to keep the card open.
Interesting. I got the notification last week that the bonus was in effect, but it didn't say anything about having to register. When I try to register, it says I am not eligible. Which doesn't make sense, since I've had the Club Card for about 7 years now.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:46 am

Keep the Club card???

I had carried a Chase United Club Card for years as I was traveling a great deal and used the club frequently. That all stopped with Covid as my business -the leisure travel industry- came to a screeching halt all over the world. So, the Club Card became useless to me. I dropped it favor of an Explorer card, just for the bonus miles and got a new Club card with my wife as primary card holder. She’s not flying, either. However, we use her Club Card exclude, with a $50k or more spend every year the miles at 1.5 per dollar spent add up. It brings, roughly, 75 thousand miles a year. That’s about one business class seat to Europe (if a seat can act e booked) for the cost of the annual fee ($550). Maybe not a bad deal even with no Club access all year due to no other flying. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to fly internationally, either. So the miles keep adding up- we are currently looking at about 700 thousand miles in the bank. All dressed up and no where to go!

Yes, there’s a question in there… Should we renew the Club Card next month? Or switch to the Explorer Card for $100 a year and pick up the 60k bonus miles? FWIW, the Club card is two years old so, I think, we could get a new one and get bonus miles on it.

One other thought…. Maybe I could drop the Club card ( my wife is the actually primary card holder) and switch to an Explorer to get the bonus miles. Then, next year, get a new Club Card under my name to get more bonus miles.

Thoughts, please.

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:15 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
....get a new Club Card under my name to get more bonus miles.
Note that the current version of the Club card does not include the 1.5/per dollar feature.

Discussion here: Chase United Club VISA Infinite Card

However, there are other Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points which can be transferred to United.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
…pick up the 60k bonus miles? … get bonus miles on it.

… to get the bonus miles. … to get more bonus miles.
Thoughts, please.
Good thinking, it’s all about the bonus miles . I too don’t fly UA enough to justify the annual fee on this card but I do appreciate club access* when I do fly UA so I like to have an open Club card.

Fortunately Chase offers UA Club cards in both personal and business versions, each with a 75K-100K SUB. I opened a personal Club card 16 months ago and closed it 3 months ago with miniscule use beyond the SUB minimum spend. I opened a business Club card 2 months ago, also with minimal use (planned) beyond the SUB. I plan to close the business Club card in 11 months and apply for the personal Club card at about the same time.

The repeat applications (for the same card) will be at least 25-26 months apart, thus not violating the 24 month language, and also at least 1 year from when the same account was closed. The first year SUB justifies the annual fee. Wash, rinse, repeat. Obviously a risk, but (almost) everything we do in this game has risk.

(* Excellent example of the perks of club access. First ski trip in almost 2 years last week. While packing I realized my sunscreen had an expiration date in 2019, figured with first ski trip in 2 years and this one being one of the higher elevation resorts I wouldn’t be on the slopes all that long so I’d use it. Connecting in Denver, 3 lounge possibilities (USO, Centurion, UA). Chose to stop by all 3 lounges to decide my priorities for subsequent ski trips which often have me in DEN. In the UA Club there were sample packets of sunscreen, some fancy brand (which I would never buy), SPF 50. I grabbed a handful, each one was perfect for 1 application to nose, lips, chin and cheeks, basically the only exposed skin when skiing. During my connection on the way home, stopped by the Club again and grabbed enough packets to get me through this ski season, and maybe next season also . Yeah, I was the guy on Xmas day in the DEN UA Club almost emptying out the basket of sunscreen samples . The USO was closed on Xmas, good to have options.)

… the miles keep adding up- we are currently looking at about 700 thousand miles in the bank. All dressed up and no where to go! ...
Me too, I have over a million miles in several different programs, I think of them like savings accounts. Presuming I don’t get hit by a truck, I’ll use them at some point. And having excessive banked miles allows much greater flexibility and less annoyance at having to use 100,000 miles for an economy roundtrip between LGA and ORD .
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:09 am

Dropping Club card

I’m not sure if our legacy Club card is still paying 1.5 miles per dollar. It was through the November statement but the 12/01 statement doesn’t show the extra half cent per mile.

Regardless, I’m looking at a new card. Maybe two.

I’ll drop my wife’s Club card and apply for either an Explorer or Quest. Other than 80k bonus miles for Quest vs 60k bonus for Explorer, I don’t see the benefit of paying $250 annual fee. I guess you could consider the annual fee only $125 with the $125 annual flight credit from Quest but that’s still more expensive than the Explorer for very little extra benefit.

The extra 20k miles QUEST brings is expensive: .012 per mile for the $250 fee, where the 60k Explorer miles are free in the first year but average out to .00079 over the two year $95 fee. ($47.50 per year average) So, even if you look at the entire 80k miles Quest brings, those miles still come in about four times as expensive for the $250 fee (.0031 a mile) vs the Explorer miles (.00079).

But, what I might do is get my wife the Explorer card and upgrade my one year old Explorer to the Quest.

Does that make sense? I may be missing something.

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 8:27 pm

I’m not sure if our legacy Club card is still paying 1.5 miles per dollar. It was through the November statement but the 12/01 statement doesn’t show the extra half cent per mile.
. . . .
Does that make sense? I may be missing something.
The legacy Club card doesn't exist anymore. Everybody was force downgraded to the Infinite Club card which only earns 1 mile per dollar base. The Quest card does come with a 10K mile rebate provided you take two reward flights (5K rebate per flight) during the year. So if you value miles great than 1.25cpp combined with the airline credit the Quest could conceivably have a net cost of $0. For the right person obviously, who would use both the airline credit and uses reward flights regularly.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:47 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion continues here: Chase United Club VISA Infinite Card

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.