Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Does this offer lounge access that you don't already get with MP and *A Gold?

Trying to see the benefits over what you already get with MP Gold.

Free checked bags, waiver of some award change fees, some upgrades which would otherwise not be available to MP Gold?

So among these, the upgrades sound interesting but I'm guessing it just moves you a little higher in the queue, but not ahead of 1K elites, who also have difficulty getting CPUs out of hubs like SFO?
FYI for anyone considering this card, it does have a $15,000 minimum credit limit for new approvals. Could put a damper on folks trying to move credit from other lines.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by eeflyer
New public offer for this card: 50,000 miles after $3000 in the first three months.

Could be useful depending on how you value 50,000 miles ($500 at $0.01/mile to up to $1000 at $0.02/mile) vs the first year free($450).
Had the wife apply for this as the 50K offer popped up when she logged in to her MP account. She got approved instantly for $35K even though she already has 2 other Chase cards totalling $55K.

The only thing I'm weary about is that the approval page shows or says nothing about the 50K offer: only the page for the application did. I'm hoping we're not reading too much into that and that the offer is all legitimate.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:18 pm

Is there a good option to downgrade this card to a no AF product? Just planning ahead. Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by nimgel
Is there a good option to downgrade this card to a no AF product? Just planning ahead. Thanks!
Yea. There’s a UA card that earns 1x per $2 spent. Maybe some folks can confirm if there’s a recent DP
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Yea. There’s a UA card that earns 1x per $2 spent. Maybe some folks can confirm if there’s a recent DP
A much better option is the new no AF United TravelBank Visa Signature with 25% off Food and Beverage and no FTF.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
A much better option is the new no AF United TravelBank Visa Signature with 25% off Food and Beverage and no FTF.
Does the new card qualify you for 25% mileageplus-x bonus?

Also, there have been DPs that the No af MP card has gotten people extra Econ saver visibility similar to explorer/club
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:12 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Is the club card offer still going on?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by t1c
Is the club card offer still going on?
Yes. Wife hit silver a few weeks ago and now has the first year free offer in her account.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:55 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Yes. Wife hit silver a few weeks ago and now has the first year free offer in her account.
Nice!! thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Does this offer lounge access that you don't already get with MP and *A Gold?

Trying to see the benefits over what you already get with MP Gold.

Free checked bags, waiver of some award change fees, some upgrades which would otherwise not be available to MP Gold?

So among these, the upgrades sound interesting but I'm guessing it just moves you a little higher in the queue, but not ahead of 1K elites, who also have difficulty getting CPUs out of hubs like SFO?
There is no upgrade priority change for revenue tickets with this, or any, UA cobranded card. The only benefit that UA cobranded cards offer vis-a-vis upgrades it the ability to receive a CPU on an award ticket. Your priority is at the bottom of your respective premier level, after all the revenue pax.

So, as an MP gold, don't expect the be upgraded on an award ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mtftw
So, as an MP gold, don't expect the be upgraded on an award ticket.
Gold can get upgrade on award ticket on leisure routes, e.g., SFO-CUN.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:20 am

Finally after years of having this card the “priority access” was worthwhile. The lineup was 1/8th of tsa pre last week at EWR
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:26 pm

My wife received the offer of a Chase United Club Card free for one year. We have been traveling and visiting the United Clubs on the free offer I received a few years ago. I am the primary cardholder and she is an authorized user.

Is she still eligible to get the free offer as a primary? Would it matter if she does not have an income?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, HHonors
I received the first year offer. Non-elite here, but was previously an elite a couple years prior. I do have a mileageplus explorer card and use it frequently so I'm not sure if either of these points play a factor.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I just received the first year free offer. I have never had any status with UA. I did used 400,000 Chase UR points through UA program. Don't quite understand why I got the invitation, and whether I should bother to apply given my situation with Chase.

I was at 5/24 a couple of months ago, and applied for an Explorer card once it dropped to 4/24 in December. I hit a stonewall with Chase. The app went pending. Called reconsideration and offered to reallocate some credit, then the agent told me to wait for a decision in 10 days. The denial letter came and called reconsideration again. No go due to amount of credit with them (around 75k, but no outstanding balance. I forgot to reduce the credit before I applied). So I went ahead and got a Citi AAdvantage card instead and is now at 5/24 again.

Even though I got the "by invitation only" offer, I suspect my chance of getting approved by Chase is slim. Thoughts? Doctor of Credit seems to indicate "by invitation only" offers may not be subject to 5/24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.