Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonsun
Do you know how you can confirm that the access to the club lounge is already linked?

Also, when you said:"it is indeed already listed in my account at UA", where on UA do you see the acct change? I got my card, there's nothing on UA.com that's different, i actually saw the cc show up on chase.com.
I don't know how to confirm club access.

For the list of CCs, log on at united.com, click on "View Account Details" and then "Manage Profile". To the right of "Saved Form of Payment" there is a link, "View All Saved Forms of Payment". Click on that and it will show what CCs united.com has stored. That's where I found it.

The card showed up on chase.com the next day, by the way.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:57 am

Another data point:
When I logged into my UA account today (Silver) expecting to need to follow the OP's procedure to see the offer, I found a banner ad right across the top of the home page advertising the "first year free." In signing up, the "first year free" was also clearly acknowledged in the T&C. I got instant approval.

I don't know whether any of this was affected by cookies left from my having already researched cards yesterday on the Chase website.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:59 am

Do you know how you can confirm that the access to the club lounge is already linked?
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I don't know how to confirm club access.
Go to UA.com and login. Then go to Products & Services > United Club and lounges. Under Membership and one-time passes Select Rates. Then select the "Complete an Online application" hyperlink. If you are in the UA Club system you should receive a red error message that you are already a member.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
Go to UA.com and login. Then go to Products & Services > United Club and lounges. Under Membership and one-time passes Select Rates. Then select the "Complete an Online application" hyperlink. If you are in the UA Club system you should receive a red error message that you are already a member.
Great tip! Here is the error I received:

! As a Presidential Plus account holder, your United Club membership will be automatically renewed upon expiration. If you would like to cancel your membership or for any other issues, please contact the United Club Service Center at 1-866-UA-CLUBS (1-866-822-5827).
Old May 10, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Originally Posted by Thorgils
Another data point:
When I logged into my UA account today (Silver) expecting to need to follow the OP's procedure to see the offer, I found a banner ad right across the top of the home page advertising the "first year free." In signing up, the "first year free" was also clearly acknowledged in the T&C. I got instant approval.

I don't know whether any of this was affected by cookies left from my having already researched cards yesterday on the Chase website.
I noticed that as well when logging onto a family member's account (who's Silver), but I haven't gotten it to appear on mine. Not sure what the reason is for the discrepency.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:48 pm

code request

I'll be flying a few trans-pacific flights in the next couple of months. I'm requesting a code for the Club card so my fiance and I can avoid the $70 fee UA puts on our 2nd baggage. Your help would be greatly appreciated! I promise to pay it forward and get some codes when I stop by SFO.

Benny
Old May 11, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Great tip! Here is the error I received:

Me, too. Im flying out to Seattle in June out of EWR, will visit the lounge and pick up couple flyer for folks.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:07 am

Me, too. Im flying out to Seattle in June out of EWR, will visit the lounge and pick up couple flyer for folks.
Unfortunately, the current pamphlets say the code expires 5/31/12. Don't know if new ones will replace them.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: United
Club Fee Waiver codes

Originally Posted by uncflyer16
Does anybody else happen to have a code that they are willing to share with me?
I have a few offer codes from the Club today, all expire 5/31. Please PM me if you'd like a code.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.0 MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Natl Exec Elite, Hertz 5 Star
10K miles 1st purchase bonus?

Did anyone else get the same 10K first purchase bonus offer that penner did?

Originally Posted by penner42
Received the card today. Called to activate, and let the agent go over the benefits with me. He said I'll get 10k miles after my first purchase. I didn't see that benefit in any of the stuff on the application or that I received in the mail, but it's a nice bonus.

Also asked about authorized users and club access. He said it was tied to the MP # not the credit card, so if they're not traveling with the primary card holder, no access.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by dante60093
Did anyone else get the same 10K first purchase bonus offer that penner did?
I was told this over the phone, but no bonus miles posted after my first statement closed. I may send Chase a message asking about it, but since it was not mentioned in any of the materials when I signed up, I'm not too hopeful or concerned about it.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by penner42
I was told this over the phone, but no bonus miles posted after my first statement closed. I may send Chase a message asking about it, but since it was not mentioned in any of the materials when I signed up, I'm not too hopeful or concerned about it.
Chase is fairly clueless about this card. I phoned about some of the benefits in advance of applying and was told one story, but the literature that came with the card told another.

In particular, FWIW, the car rental insurance benefit is *primary* with the Club Card. Chase claimed on the phone that only the Explorer cards have primary coverage, and all other cards have secondary.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by rbphilip
Chase is fairly clueless about this card. I phoned about some of the benefits in advance of applying and was told one story, but the literature that came with the card told another.

In particular, FWIW, the car rental insurance benefit is *primary* with the Club Card. Chase claimed on the phone that only the Explorer cards have primary coverage, and all other cards have secondary.

Chase needs to do a better job training their CSRs regarding this card. I got a clueless CSR that kept insisting no such card exists and wanted to know where I could have possibility seen an advertisement for it. I told her it's all over the internet. She wanted me to name a specific website so she can forward the information to her supervisors!

I have the CO PP card and she kept insisting that was the only card with club access and was argumentative stating there is no such card that earns 1.5 UA miles per $1 spend. Finally I decided to hang up and told her, "Thank you, but this call is going nowhere." Called back and got a new but very well informed CSR, he explained the difference between the two cards (earning flex EQMs vs earning 50% mile bonus).
Old May 12, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
applied today, was not instantly approved, called reconsideration line (888-609-7805) and was told to call on Monday.

We'll see what happens. I was rejected in JAN for the BofA/HA cards due to too many app pulls, hopefully this goes through.

I also applied for the CITI HH 50k card today
Old May 12, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I got this card and the most useful parts for me are:
1.no forex fees
2. club membership for 395 in subsequent years
3. 1.5 miles per dollar and 2.0 for UA purchases

I have to bone up on the other benefits, but as a 1k I don't think the baggage/boarding ect really will help unless it extends to people somehow that my status doesn't.

Also I found out that the Explorer Card I opened in Jan for 50k after 1st purchase must stay open for 6 months or UA can take the miles back. Thus in early June I'll call up and cancel then.

I moved all the available credit on my other chase cards (marriott rewards, BA, explorer, and old ua signature card) to this card. Great that I was able to put about 50k available on this card and closed the other cards as I want to simplify and have only this card after I close the explorer in June.

Now I will have the ua club card and my spg am ex. Have a capital one as a backup for international as that has no forex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.