Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:04 am

Anyone have experience with the trip cancellation/delay insurance of this card? My flight on Saturday was cancelled, and I will suffer a 3 day delay because of it. My only hesitation is that I was still at home and it was the outbound portion of the trip. My cost (due to numerous bookings) is going to end up being well over $1,000. Will I get any reimbursement at all?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by JaysonW
Nope, if you don't book with the United card (Explorer or Club) you're not going to get the bag fees waived. It's in plain view in the upper right hand corner on multiple screens after you click on the fare price.
"Reminder: Be sure to purchase your tickets with your eligible MileagePlus Credit Card to save on checked bags for you and one companion."

Understood regarding the bag benefit. The bag benefit is a separate benefit.

I was referring to the Premier Access benefit, which is outlined as a separate benefit on the site and, based on the language, should kick in as long as your MP number is on the reservation. There is no card-usage requirement explicitly stated to trigger this benefit, unlike with the "Chase bag benefit".
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Anyone have experience with the trip cancellation/delay insurance of this card? My flight on Saturday was cancelled, and I will suffer a 3 day delay because of it. My only hesitation is that I was still at home and it was the outbound portion of the trip. My cost (due to numerous bookings) is going to end up being well over $1,000. Will I get any reimbursement at all?

I just took a peak at my United Club Card benefit booked and cancelation/delay by a common carrier are not covered UNLESS this is because of severe weather or public strike.

I am assuming that you were affected by the snow storm so best to collect proper docs from the airline regarding being bumped for weather reasons as well as proof for rest of your plans that you're unable to use.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I just took a peak at my United Club Card benefit booked and cancelation/delay by a common carrier are not covered UNLESS this is because of severe weather or public strike.

I am assuming that you were affected by the snow storm so best to collect proper docs from the airline regarding being bumped for weather reasons as well as proof for rest of your plans that you're unable to use.
I have an email from them that says it was due to ATC in ORD, but my flight was Sunday afternoon (United). I guess they will try and say that isn't weather... I can't find the benefits online anywhere. They say they come in the book, which of course I didn't keep.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have an email ...
Did you request it, or is this just something you received as notice of the cancellation? You can request a more formal notice for travel insurance purposes:

Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. Email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, the confirmation number, flight numbers, dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like the letter sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:02 pm

I have an email from them that says it was due to ATC in ORD, but my flight was Sunday afternoon (United). I guess they will try and say that isn't weather... I can't find the benefits online anywhere. They say they come in the book, which of course I didn't keep.

Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption
Bene t Information for Trip Cancellation
Who is covered?
You, the Primary Insured Person, and your Immediate Family Members are automatically covered. Immediate Family Member means your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.
What is Trip Cancellation insurance?
Trip Cancellation insurance reimburses you or your Immediate Family Members for up to ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars for each Covered Trip if a Covered Loss prevents you or your Immediate Family Members from traveling on or before the departure date and results in cancellation of the travel arrangements.
If any or all of the Covered Trip was paid for using redeemable Rewards, the Company will reimburse the Insured Person for Rewards used. The Company’s reimbursement shall equal the monetary value of the redemption through the Common Carrier, Tour Operator, Travel Agency, or Travel Supplier up to the Bene t Amount. If the monetary value of the redemption does not appear on the Insured Person’s itinerary or redemption con rmation issued by the Common Carrier, Rewards program manager, Tour Operator, Travel Agency, or Travel Supplier the Company will reimburse the Insured Person ($.01) per point redeemed up to the Insured Person’s Bene t Amount.

Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable frequent yer miles, points, coupons or certi cates, or other types of redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account:
• while the insurance is in effect
• to a destination of greater than one (1) mile from your
primary residence
• and is for a time period that doesn’t exceed sixty (60) days
in duration
Rewards means points, miles, cash Rewards, or any other type of redeemable Rewards, provided that all Rewards have been accumulated through use of a Rewards program sponsored by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its af liates.
Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:
• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by
you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you
or a Traveling Companion
• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person
from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip
• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your
Domestic Partner
• A terrorist action or hijacking
• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither
of which can be postponed or waived
• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to
be uninhabitable
• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons
• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel
Supplier whose services you booked
If a trip cancellation occurs, the Company will reimburse you or an Immediate Family Member for the non-refundable amounts paid up to Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum limit of Insurance per Occurrence of ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars for each claim on a Covered Trip. Reimbursement is subject to the following:
• Cancellation provisions in effect at the time the Travel Supplier is noti ed of a cancellation.
• If a Physician has advised that making the Covered Trip is medically inadvisable, you must immediately notify the appropriate Travel Supplier that you are cancelling your travel arrangements. If you don’t notify the supplier, the Company’s reimbursement will not exceed the cancellation penalties imposed during the period by the supplier and in effect forty-eight (48) hours immediately following your receipt of advice from your Physician that travel is not advisable

What is not covered by Trip Cancellation insurance? It does not apply to a Covered Loss caused directly or indirectly from: • travel arrangements canceled or changed by a Common Carrier,
Tour Operator, or any Travel Agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
• change in plans, nancial circumstances, and any business or contractual obligations applying to you, your Traveling Companion, your Immediate Family Member, an Immediate Family Member of your Traveling Companion
• a Pre-existing Condition
• Additionally, this insurance does not apply to any Accident,
Accidental Bodily Injury or loss caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly: the commission or attempted commission of any illegal act including but not limited to any felony

• any occurrence during incarceration
• being engaged in or participating in a motorized vehicular race or speed contest
• participating in any professional sporting activity for which a salary or prize money is received
• traveling or ying on any aircraft engaged in ight on a rocket propelled or rocket launched aircraft
• suicide, attempted suicide or intentionally self-in icted injury
• when: a) the United States of America has imposed any trade
or economic sanctions prohibiting insurance of any Accident, Accidental Bodily Injury or loss; or b) there is any other legal prohibition against providing insurance for any Accident, Accidental Bodily Injury or loss
• a declared or undeclared War
The Trip Cancellation bene t is excess over any travel insurance purchased by the Insured Person for the same Covered Trip or other indemnity by the airline, cruise line, railroad, station authority, occupancy provider available to the Insured Person.

Questions? Call 1-888-880-5844

What types of documentation may be requested when a claim is submitted?
Some of the documentation the Company may request includes, but is not limited to:
• completed claim form
• copy of the travel itinerary
• con rmation of the reason for the Trip Cancellation or Trip
Interruption—i.e. medical documents, death certi cate, or other
documentation supporting a Covered Loss
• copy of the Credit Card statement that shows the charge for prepaid
travel arrangements for Trip Cancellation
• proof of expenses incurred due to a Trip Interruption
• a copy of the cancellation or refund polices of the Common Carrier,
Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier
How long do I have to le a claim after the
event occurs?
You must provide a written claim notice within twenty (20) days
after the occurrence or commencement of any Loss covered by this policy or as soon as reasonably possible. The notice must include enough information to identify you, and Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its af liates. Please note that failure to provide a claim notice within twenty (20) days will not invalidate or reduce any otherwise valid claim if notice is given as soon as is reasonably possible.
What happens after I send a claim notice to you?
• Within fteen (15) days of the Company’s receipt of your claim notice, the Company will send you or your designee forms to complete that provides the Company with Proof of Loss.
• If you or your designee do not receive the forms, please send the Company a written description of the Loss. This written description should include information detailing the occurrence, type, and extent of the Loss for which the claim is made.
How long do I have to provide you with
Proof of Loss?
You need to send the Company complete Proof of Loss within
ninety (90) days from the date of loss or as soon as reasonably possible. Please note that failure to provide Proof of Loss within these time frames will not invalidate or reduce any otherwise valid claim if notice is given as soon as is reasonably possible, and in no event
later than one (1) year after the ninety (90) day deadline to submit Proof of Loss, except in cases where the claimant lacks legal capacity.
How soon after I provide Proof of Loss will I receive payment for my claim?
You will receive payment for your claim for all losses covered under the plan within sixty (60) days after the Company receives the complete Proof of Loss if you, Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its af liates and bene ciary, where applicable, have complied with all the terms of
the policy.

Will the bene ts be payable to me?
Yes, Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption bene ts are payable to you.
General questions that apply to Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption insurance
Do I need to notify anyone that I’ve booked travel arrangements to obtain this insurance?
No, it’s not necessary for you to notify Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its af liates, the administrator, or the Company when travel arrangements are purchased.
What types of prepaid travel arrangements are eligible for reimbursement?
Some of the prepaid travel arrangements that are eligible for reimbursement include, but are not limited to, airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars. You will need to relinquish to the Company any unused vouchers, tickets, coupons or travel privileges for which you have been reimbursed.
If I charge multiple travel arrangements for myself and Immediate Family Members, do the bene ts apply to each person?
Yes, each traveler is eligible to receive the primary bene t up to the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance
per Occurrence.

Covered Trip – any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some
portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable frequent yer miles, points, coupons or certi cates, or other types of redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account:
• while the insurance is in effect
• to a destination of greater than one (1) mile from your
primary residence
• and is for a time period that doesn’t exceed sixty (60) days
in duration
Covered Trip also includes covered trips awarded from frequent
ier or points programs provided that all of the miles or points were accumulated from charges on the Insured Person’s Account.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:13 pm

thank you slivrflyr!

Mia, it was just an email, but I can request a formal notice. Only an insurance company would claim that our flight wasn't cancelled due to weather. I guess I will get an education.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:52 pm

Have folks in this forum quantified the benefit of additional award space availability?

We do a couple of sets of flights to Europe each year on UA and the next one won't be until the summer. I don't see myself putting any significant spend on the club card this year so I'm contemplating shutting it down and pocketing the $395 while I still can.

We've got priority pass, Amex and lounge club memberships (+citi prestige for AA) and layovers in Europe are never super long for us when flying on UA or LH.

The I one benefit I'm considering is the extra award space. When it comes time to book a summer getaway (book in April-May for June-Aug) I'm wondering if I'd be at a serious disadvantage booking multiple award tickets on UA (in economy)

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:

Nope, if you don't book with the United card (Explorer or Club) you're not going to get the bag fees waived. It's in plain view in the upper right hand corner on multiple screens after you click on the fare price.
"Reminder: Be sure to purchase your tickets with your eligible MileagePlus Credit Card to save on checked bags for you and one companion."

Understood regarding the bag benefit. The bag benefit is a separate benefit.

I was referring to the Premier Access benefit, which is outlined as a separate benefit on the site and, based on the language, should kick in as long as your MP number is on the reservation. There is no card-usage requirement explicitly stated to trigger this benefit, unlike with the "Chase bag benefit".
You have to use the Club Card in order to receive Premier Access. What I'm understanding from you is that even when not using the Club Card you're wanting to have Premier Access, correct? If so, that's incorrect because you'd essentially have Premier Silver Elite status and that's not what the Club Card gives you. (The Club Card gives you Premier Access, not status)
Premier Access is a benefit when the Club Card is used to make the purchase, just like the two bags free for you and a companion on the same itinerary, and 2x MP miles for the airfare purchase.

I just checked Chase's website and it's all listed in the T&Cs. See section under Premier Access.
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/united_terms_cond_club.htm

Last edited by JaysonW; Jan 25, 2016 at 11:38 pm
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:36 am

You have to use the Club Card in order to receive Premier Access. What I'm understanding from you is that even when not using the Club Card you're wanting to have Premier Access, correct? If so, that's incorrect because you'd essentially have Premier Silver Elite status and that's not what the Club Card gives you. (The Club Card gives you Premier Access, not status)
Premier Access is a benefit when the Club Card is used to make the purchase, just like the two bags free for you and a companion on the same itinerary, and 2x MP miles for the airfare purchase.

I just checked Chase's website and it's all listed in the T&Cs. See section under Premier Access.
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-..._cond_club.htm
I read that section earlier and still don't see requirement for using the credit card. Having the card is sufficient. Note how under the bag benefit they explicitly state that the card must be used.

I confirmed it w a united online rep today. I'll find out when I fly. Was told to present my BP and CC and I'll be good to go.

PREMIER ACCESS: The primary cardmember and eligible companions traveling on the same reservation are eligible for Premier AccessSM; authorized users are only eligible if they are on the same reservation as the primary cardmember. Benefits include the following travel services where available: designated check-in lines, priority security lanes, priority boarding, and priority baggage handling. To receive Premier Access, the primary cardmember must include their MileagePlus number in their reservation. Premier Access is only available on United- and United Express-operated flights; code-share partner-operated flights are not eligible. Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide Premier Access. Please allow 2 weeks after account opening for Premier Access to be available on your United reservation. For more information, please visit united.com/premieraccess Opens third party site disclosure in a new window

Last edited by slivrflyr; Jan 26, 2016 at 4:41 am
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:39 am

So pls allow me to put out another rant about this card.

So United lounge access is for two adults or one adult plus kids? So only single parents are promoted by United? Married parents with at least one kid: back of the bus for you. This is also for a card that gives zero benefits to AUs to begin with.

+1 for Citi Prestige
+1 Ritz
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
So pls allow me to put out another rant about this card.

So United lounge access is for two adults or one adult plus kids? So only single parents are promoted by United? Married parents with at least one kid: back of the bus for you. This is also for a card that gives zero benefits to AUs to begin with.

+1 for Citi Prestige
+1 Ritz
The way I read it is the member plus another adult and dependent children.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
My take on this card is its probably not worth it unless you visit the club quite a bit. I've got enough free passes for all the visits needed this year and possibly into next. Biggest benefit when it's free is the close in award fees being eliminated, thanks to a previous poster on that. UA seems to have saver awards available only way in advance but then always open them up once they get within 3 weeks, the drawback being the fees for my typical short haul. Just booked SBA to SFO couple days ago for Sat, no problem getting 10k saver plus $75. Worth it still as the cash price as $458 for that hour long flight!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:50 am

If you already have access to all those other clubs, I honestly don't see a reason as to why you would want to pay the $450 AF for this one. Seems a bit redundant. The United Explorer Card may have been better suited for you as you can still get boarding group 2 and one checked bag for $95 AF, then used your "Lounge Club/Priority Pass/Admirals Club" access.
Sorry I should have mentioned that I had the first year AF waived offer. I would never pay a penny for this card but if it's free, why not?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:52 am

Guys. Data point. I was on a non-star alliance award ticket today that missed a connection. I told the other airline to put my Mp number on the booking as The airline booked me on United. I received priority access on my boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.