Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by jmd001
I interpret your words as saying you are paying a 1.25% fee to use the credit card. I don't think I've ever seen a service that charges under 2.25%. Could you share the name/URL of the company that offers this 1.25% fee?
Doesn't the card pay 1.5 miles? That would turn a 1.87 fee into 1.25 cents per mile. https://www.pay1040.com/

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 12, 2016 at 8:04 am
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalkrocks
I put a large chunk of my business expenses on my United card and pay it off every day. It's like a miles waterfall. Been doing it for a long time without issue.

Out of curiosity, are you talking about income taxes once per year? If so, are you using officialpayments.com for that? They charge a hefty fee for using a credit card so I guess that's where the $.0125 comes in?
Quarterly estimated taxes. thanks for your input. Sounds like I'm safe. I was using Pay1040.com and switching to Official Payments because I'm on my 3rd payment.

1.87% fee per $1 that earns 1.5 miles per dollar is $.0125 dollar per miles. I redeemed 600k miles on United last year. My base airport is Jackson, WY which is very expensive. Most one way flights to the east coast are $400-$600. Anything under $400 is cheap. If I check often I can usually find Saver tickets, so usually I am redeeming $400/12,500 which is just a tad over $.03/mile. I have a unique personal situation that makes this card fantastic.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
... I am redeeming $400/12,500 which is just a tad over $.03/mile.
It appears you are really redeeming more than 12,500 miles. You should add the miles which you would have earned if you had purchased a revenue ticket. This will depend on your elite status and method of payment. I am not sufficiently familiar with UA's program to do a precision calculation, but it looks as if a $400 ticket purchased by a Gold member using a Club Card would generate around 4,000 miles? If that's correct you use 16,500 miles to save $400, about $0.24 per mile. Still comfortably more than $.0125.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:11 am

It seems to me that business/first is where the savings really add up.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It appears you are really redeeming more than 12,500 miles. You should add the miles which you would have earned if you had purchased a revenue ticket. This will depend on your elite status and method of payment. I am not sufficiently familiar with UA's program to do a precision calculation, but it looks as if a $400 ticket purchased by a Gold member using a Club Card would generate around 4,000 miles? If that's correct you use 16,500 miles to save $400, about $0.24 per mile. Still comfortably more than $.0125.
Good point that I am forgoing earning miles and probably should put that into my calculation. I flew 40k miles last year on UA, so the best I would ever be is Silver, where the multiplier is 7x, so the average is 2,800 miles. But because I use miles 80% of the time I haven't had status for a couple years. Guess I should change my signature here!

My problem is I redeem miles for my wife too and then when my family wants to visit. I redeemed 600k miles last year for economy flights on United. I've pretty much came to the conclusion when I can't get a flight for 12,500 miles I should just pay for it cash if I am short on points. It's a marginal discount not worth the trouble when I am paying 25,000 points.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
...Silver, where the multiplier is 7x,...
I believe you would earn another 2 miles per dollar from the card payment?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:33 am

Thanks for the input all! Occasionally I will do a 25k redemption for a $400 ticket. You made me realize that I am forgoing about 3,600 points by doing so, which I can usually redeem for about $.032. Those points I am foregoing are probably worth about $115 to me, which should make me swinging into paying cash for the ticket instead, especially when I am points poor. Great feedback, thanks again!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:30 am

I have the MileagePlus Club Card and my question is this: Do I receive the benefits (free bag, priority boarding and check-in, etc...) for any star alliance partner (i.e. Air Canada) or just United?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by arecknor
I have the MileagePlus Club Card and my question is this: Do I receive the benefits (free bag, priority boarding and check-in, etc...) for any star alliance partner (i.e. Air Canada) or just United?
Just United
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:21 am

Is anybody able to see a first-year-free offer on this card using of the methods listed in the wiki? I've run through all of them--for myself (former Club card holder) and three family members (none of whom has never held the card)--and consistently saw only the offer for a $100 statement credit with no waiver of the $450 AF.

I'm thinking I should update the wiki so that it gives readers less false hope and a more realistic set of expectations about the current offer(s). Before doing that, I thought I'd check with the group to avoid overstating things.

Thanks for any data points.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:57 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by beltway
Is anybody able to see a first-year-free offer on this card using of the methods listed in the wiki? I've run through all of them--for myself (former Club card holder) and three family members (none of whom has never held the card)--and consistently saw only the offer for a $100 statement credit with no waiver of the $450 AF.

I'm thinking I should update the wiki so that it gives readers less false hope and a more realistic set of expectations about the current offer(s). Before doing that, I thought I'd check with the group to avoid overstating things.

Thanks for any data points.
I have the offer of $0 fee first year, $450 thereafter. UA 1K using the .bomb link.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm also thinking about signing up for a Club card to pay for my taxes. At 1.87%, it costs 1.25cpm. But the fee is tax deductible, so assuming another 1/3rd discount, it costs 0.83cpm. Not bad at all!

The other option would be getting an AMEX Everyday Preferred card, and making sure I get the 30 transactions per billing cycle for the 50% bonus (1.5x).

Would you rather have a UA mile or MR point? Right now, I'm about equal on UA, UR, and MR balances.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I have the offer of $0 fee first year, $450 thereafter. UA 1K using the .bomb link.
Thanks. I take it you didn't see that offer until you logged in.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Thanks. I take it you didn't see that offer until you logged in.
Correct, had to log in.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:32 pm

I've had this card since mid-summer. I haven't paid attention to when the miles actually posted, but looking at my United Account summary, it shows the 20th of every month since I've had the card. Now I need the miles, it is the end of the day on the 21st, and no miles. Any experience out there can recommend when they will post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.