Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:12 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by rihc55
I'm not sure that I understand the question.. Its my understanding that those without status and without a mileageplus card can only get "X" fare for awards. I currently have the Explorer card so I can book "XN" fares but I'm thinking of downgrading the card to the no annual fee version but am unsure as to whether or not I'll be able to book these fares still.
I meant any United status, but autocorrect disagreed.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by NDN
I meant any United status, but autocorrect disagreed.

Ahh, yes, i believe it is. I don't have status, so I want XN fares through a card Just trying to figure out if i'll lose it if i downgrade.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:18 am
NDN

Originally Posted by rihc55
Ahh, yes, i believe it is. I don't have status, so I want XN fares through a card Just trying to figure out if i'll lose it if i downgrade.
TPG said both the United Club card and the Explorer card give XN.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by NDN
TPG said both the United Club card and the Explorer card give XN.
I am specifically interested in the "Chase MileagePlus Rewards" card. Posting here was a little off topic but the two people i quoted specifically said they downgraded to the no annual fee card so I was hoping they'd have an answer.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:24 am

I was thinking of this card, I have the offer for no annual fee for the first year. But I was wondering what they meant when they say any seat for one of the benefits of the card. Does that I mean I can get like a business class seat for the price of a standard award?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:29 am
NDN

Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
I was thinking of this card, I have the offer for no annual fee for the first year. But I was wondering what they meant when they say any seat for one of the benefits of the card. Does that I mean I can get like a business class seat for the price of a standard award?

It means that if you are logged into your account, the Standard awards will ALWAYS be available if there is a seat available for sale.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:54 pm

Is there still a technique to get the Club card's annual fee waived? I have this card and I'm trying to sign my folks up for it but I can't seem to get the offer. I've followed the instructions at the top of this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:58 pm

I have a question: I booked my united airfare in August for a November trip. I applied and received my Chase MileagePlus United Club card in September. Will I have premier access for my trip in November when I print out my boarding pass?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arecknor
I have a question: I booked my united airfare in August for a November trip. I applied and received my Chase MileagePlus United Club card in September. Will I have premier access for my trip in November when I print out my boarding pass?
I got my card upgraded to Club April 30th. I had booked a trip to London (June 16-23) the previous December and was granted premier access.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:25 pm

Have any of you been able to get any kind of a perk when converting to this card?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Silverthunder
Have any of you been able to get any kind of a perk when converting to this card?
Possibly. By converting, do you mean upgrading? When I got the Explorer Card, the $95 AF was waived for first year. On my anniversary I upgraded to the Club Card, and the first year's $395 AF was waived.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
Possibly. By converting, do you mean upgrading? When I got the Explorer Card, the $95 AF was waived for first year. On my anniversary I upgraded to the Club Card, and the first year's $395 AF was waived.
Yes, I did mean upgrading.

Chase is saying that I cannot upgrade any of my cards to this card. This was via secure message. I have the Chase United card that gives 1 mile for every 2 dollars spent. Also, I have 2 freedoms & 1 sapphire.

I was hoping to convert and move credit around.

I think I will try calling.

I am trying to avoid giving chase my income information as my income has dropped a lot. I think that Chase will get cold feet about my total revolving credit limits with them versus my income.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:04 am

I've been using this card to pay my taxes, about $20k at a pop. I max it out, pay it off the next day, repeat. I like it because I've been effectively buying miles at $.0125/each, which is a good price for me I usually redeem at about $.035.

My question is will I run afoul of Chase doing this? I've requested a credit line increase last week but haven't heard anything yet, nor has it shown up on my account.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
...I've been effectively buying miles at $.0125/each...
I interpret your words as saying you are paying a 1.25% fee to use the credit card. I don't think I've ever seen a service that charges under 2.25%. Could you share the name/URL of the company that offers this 1.25% fee?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
I've been using this card to pay my taxes, about $20k at a pop. I max it out, pay it off the next day, repeat. I like it because I've been effectively buying miles at $.0125/each, which is a good price for me I usually redeem at about $.035.

My question is will I run afoul of Chase doing this? I've requested a credit line increase last week but haven't heard anything yet, nor has it shown up on my account.
I put a large chunk of my business expenses on my United card and pay it off every day. It's like a miles waterfall. Been doing it for a long time without issue.

Out of curiosity, are you talking about income taxes once per year? If so, are you using officialpayments.com for that? They charge a hefty fee for using a credit card so I guess that's where the $.0125 comes in?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.