Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 5:18 pm

Arrow MileagePlus Club Business card for employee?

It looks like I'm going to be flying a lot more frequently for business. The MileagePlus Club card seems like a good deal, rather than pay for the benefits on their own. Is it possible for my employer to sign up for this card for me (I don't want to do it in my name and hassle with reimbursements)?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2015, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by PreventativeMeasures
It looks like I'm going to be flying a lot more frequently for business. The MileagePlus Club card seems like a good deal, rather than pay for the benefits on their own. Is it possible for my employer to sign up for this card for me (I don't want to do it in my name and hassle with reimbursements)?

Thanks
There is a business version of this card, but you will need to have a discussion with your employer regarding it. How are we supposed to know what your employer is willing to do?
Old May 7, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
So the UPS delivery man drops something at my front door last night. I picked it up and thought this is the heaviest book I've carried in a box that is not that big. Here it was my Club card with the Fine Hotels book and everything else you get. Goodness, the box and packaging was fancier than some of its Amex and Citi cousins. Anyway, I got another chip and sign card before embarking to London. I think my Diners Club is my only chip and pin card. Of course my contactless cards are not Chase cards. One is Diners Club, the other is a BOA MasterCard. Guess I better take them too? Any advice on what cards needed for London?

Last edited by eajusa; May 7, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Arrow

Data point:

I called today to upgrade from Explorer to Club. I've had my Explorer for just over 1 year. CSR processed the request with no issues and confirmed that there would be no hard pull for the upgrade. Should receive the new card in 3-5 days.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
So the UPS delivery man drops something at my front door last night. I picked it up and thought this is the heaviest book I've carried in a box that is not that big. Here it was my Club card with the Fine Hotels book and everything else you get. Goodness, the box and packaging was fancier than some of its Amex and Citi cousins. Anyway, I got another chip and sign card before embarking to London. I think my Diners Club is my only chip and pin card. Of course my contactless cards are not Chase cards. One is Diners Club, the other is a BOA MasterCard. Guess I better take them too? Any advice on what cards needed for London?
I found this site very helpful in answering my question:
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...chip-pin-cards

As well as this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

Last edited by eajusa; May 8, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Old May 8, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Another data point:

Called Chase today and asked if I can upgrade to the offer, and two different agents told me they cannot do that because they cannot see my offer. So I canceled my explorer card, and applied for the club card. Should arrive in a week or so.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by februaryfour
I can put everyone's mind at ease. The welcome kit arrived today (wow, that was fast.) I confirm that it gives you Platinum level of Hyatt's Gold Passport, as well as the President's Circle membership in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program.
I just received my welcome kit with the newly designed chip-enabled Club card. I flipped through every page of the membership guide and I don't see anything about Platinum status with Hyatt. Hertz President's Circle is clearly listed under the "Travel Benefits" section, but nothing about Hyatt. Is it possible that this benefit has been discontinued? I haven't called Chase or Hyatt to inquire, but if it's not in the membership guide, it can't be a good sign.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
I just received my welcome kit with the newly designed chip-enabled Club card. I flipped through every page of the membership guide and I don't see anything about Platinum status with Hyatt. Hertz President's Circle is clearly listed under the "Travel Benefits" section, but nothing about Hyatt. Is it possible that this benefit has been discontinued? I haven't called Chase or Hyatt to inquire, but if it's not in the membership guide, it can't be a good sign.
The UA website says that Hyatt Platinum is automatic as a Mileage Club car holder. I too just received the card and it is no where mentioned in the literature. I imagine a call to UA or to Hyatt might be the only way to see this happen. My Hyatt account mentions nothing of being Platinum as of today.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:10 am

The UA website says that Hyatt Platinum is automatic as a Mileage Club car holder. I too just received the card and it is no where mentioned in the literature. I imagine a call to UA or to Hyatt might be the only way to see this happen. My Hyatt account mentions nothing of being Platinum as of today.
When I received the card a year ago, Hyatt Plat was not automatic. I have to send an email to Hyatt telling them I just got the MileagePlus Club card and then it was changed to Plat.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
The UA website says that Hyatt Platinum is automatic as a Mileage Club car holder.
Where do you see it on the UA site? I'm not seeing it.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Where do you see it on the UA site? I'm not seeing it.
Last item on this page:

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...travel-new.htm

Hyatt Gold Passport® Platinum Membership
As the primary MileagePlus Club Card member, you will enjoy automatic Platinum membership in the Hyatt Gold Passport global loyalty program. With Hyatt Gold Passport, you'll experience a premium level of benefits to make you feel more than welcome every time you stay at Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® worldwide.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Last item on this page:

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...travel-new.htm

Hyatt Gold Passport® Platinum Membership
As the primary MileagePlus Club Card member, you will enjoy automatic Platinum membership in the Hyatt Gold Passport global loyalty program. With Hyatt Gold Passport, you'll experience a premium level of benefits to make you feel more than welcome every time you stay at Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® worldwide.
Thanks!
Old May 13, 2015, 12:36 pm

Question, if my AU meets the minimum spend that I need for the sign up bonus, will it still count towards the sign up bonus, or do I have to meet the minimum spend myself? Thanks!
Old May 13, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
In most such offers, use by an authorized user counts toward the minimum spend.

So stay on good terms with your kids. As young adults they may change their tax withholding exemptions to "25" and then charge all their quarterly estimated tax payments on your card. (!) Especially if you reimburse them any fees.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MidnightLight (Post # 757)
I was able to downgrade previously to a no-fee Chase MileagePlus card that offers 0.5 miles per $ spent. This product isn't offered for direct applications, but it does exist (at least as of late last year, when I did my downgrade).
Originally Posted by Gunner14 (Post # 766)
As a reference point, my annual fee just posted so I called to downgrade my card. I downgraded to a card with no annual fee called the Chase MileagePlus Rewards Card.
Good word!

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.