Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by CO FF
Mrs. CO FF got the offer in the mail last week -- she was Silver last year, but didn't requalify. She's going to take it, because it gets her out of the minimum spend requirement and we have 50k EQMs of *A travel coming up this year...
The club card waives the 4 segment requirement not the PQD requirement.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by mathprof
The club card waives the 4 segment requirement not the PQD requirement.
Yes and no.

Originally Posted by http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/qualify/PQD-FAQs.aspx
Does spend on my MileagePlus co-branded credit card earn PQD? (Expanded)
No. Spending on your credit card does not earn PQD.

However, in 2014 and 2015, the PQD requirement for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification is waived for primary Cardmembers whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and who, in combination with their authorized users, spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases during the applicable calendar year on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. Net Purchases made between January 1, 2014, and December 31, 2014, or January 1, 2015, and December 31, 2015, will count toward the $25,000 threshold in the applicable year.

There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K® qualification.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by highops
Yes and no.
The card doesn't waive the PQD requirement outright simply by having the card. It along with the Explorer will give you opportunity to waive the PQD requirement if you spend $25k on a card.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:58 am

So after a year free, my annual fee has posted and I will look to downgrade/close the card. Is there still a United card with no annual fee that I could downgrade the Club card to?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-PC;Marriott-Plat;
Not that I'm aware of and only the first year waived then the 95 bucks per annum for the United Explorer card from Chase.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA
Have not seen it mentioned on this thread, but this card is now available with chip and signature technology (as of a few weeks ago).

Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Gunner14
So after a year free, my annual fee has posted and I will look to downgrade/close the card. Is there still a United card with no annual fee that I could downgrade the Club card to?
I was able to downgrade previously to a no-fee Chase MileagePlus card that offers 0.5 miles per $ spent. This product isn't offered for direct applications, but it does exist (at least as of late last year, when I did my downgrade).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
I was able to downgrade previously to a no-fee Chase MileagePlus card that offers 0.5 miles per $ spent. This product isn't offered for direct applications, but it does exist (at least as of late last year, when I did my downgrade).
Including the United Club membership?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by nemenor
Including the United Club membership?
That wouldn't be a downgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Success in getting the fee waived twice

Has anyone ever had the success of having the fee waived twice? I just cancelled this card (had it for 2 years) and am thinking of reapplying for it. Nowhere do I see any language that says the fee is waived only for first-time card members, etc... Any suggestions or data points?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:39 am

I was approved for card on the the 3/13 and got the credit card on 3/16 (they overnighted the entire welcome package). My question is how long does it take to get the actual United Club membership card itself? I was told for United Clubs my frequent flyer number will be enough to get in in the meantime, but I have international travel coming up and I will need the physical card to get into other *A lounges.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by the188
I was approved for card on the the 3/13 and got the credit card on 3/16 (they overnighted the entire welcome package). My question is how long does it take to get the actual United Club membership card itself? I was told for United Clubs my frequent flyer number will be enough to get in in the meantime, but I have international travel coming up and I will need the physical card to get into other *A lounges.
It was about a month before I received mine. You may want to call and see if they can expedite it for you.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:12 am

Thanks, for the info. I did call and they said its impossible to expedite. They told me 4-6 weeks but they thought some people might get it faster. I will be leaving for my next trip exactly 3 weeks after I was approved. So I guess I'm probably out of luck for this trip.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by the188
Thanks, for the info. I did call and they said its impossible to expedite. They told me 4-6 weeks but they thought some people might get it faster. I will be leaving for my next trip exactly 3 weeks after I was approved. So I guess I'm probably out of luck for this trip.
I was wondering the same thing... how long would it take to receive the actual United Club card (odd there is no mention of a separate card arriving in the very substantial welcome kit). I too need the card for Star Alliance international lounge access.

Who did you call to inquire? Chase?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:12 am

I actually got mine in about 2 weeks so pretty happy. I called United Club as they are the ones that will have to mail it out. Chase will mail their part out overnight but the Club Card is not included. The person I talked to from United Club said there was nothing they could do but it ended up coming in about 1/2 the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.