Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
UA club card gets no *A lounge international access.
Sure it does, to business lounges (only if you have a *A boarding pass departing from that airport--but that's the requirement for *G as well).
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by momofboys
Got my first year free by using the messaging on chase.com
You just did the regular app and sent an SM for the fee waiver? May take advantage of this given it's easier than screwing with the link/UA account.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list
clearing cookies worked for me but didn't find anything about waiving fee.
any details on that?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren post #374:
UA club card gets no *A lounge international access.
response in post #376 regarding UA club card access in *A lounges:
Sure it does, to business lounges (only if you have a *A boarding pass departing from that airport--but that's the requirement for *G as well).
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Fine print is fine until the rubber meets the road. The FRA LH lounge people didn't care about the UA club card cc or the UA club membership card. They wanted to see both the *G card and the *A boarding pass. After that, I put the UA club biz away and have been using the latter combination at LH, LX, AC, etc lounges.
With the UA club items, I've been getting into UA clubs whether I've been flying or not. ie--whether or not I had a boarding pass that had anything to do with any airport. It sounds impossible, but true. I had an itinerary out of DAY that was unacceptably cancelled and rebooked. I drove to CLE where I had no *A boarding pass departing from that airport. Security amazingly let me through with my DAY boarding pass. I should mention that the priority phone lines and normal customer service lines were impossible to use that day. I entered the UA club lounge where they kindly saved my rear-end and put me on another flight out of CLE ASAP. I wanted to nominate that CLE club lounge person--Mary Beth, but I missed the deadline last week because I was on travel far, far away from the information that I had for her.

post #361:
Anyone get Chase to waive the 2nd year fee?
bump.

from post #375:
I'm going to be using it for big bus. spending and can't start playing games with telling everyone a. for gas b. for staples orders etc.
In theory, that sounds good. But look what happened to me. Here's my international track record in the last couple weeks with UA club cc and Priority club cc.
-hotels. 2 successes for 2 tries.
-NUE airport train ticket machine. 1 for 1.
-STR Hauptbahnhof train ticket machine. 2 for 6. ran around trying many machines
-Appleweier bahnhof train ticket machine. 0 for 1. wound up using cash.
-Strasbourg Hauptbahnhof train ticket machine. 0 for 2. used cc at agent's desk
-Strasbourg cafe Part The [This place is run by idiots. Please don't go there.]. 0 for 1. Priority Club cc worked.
-Strasbourg restaurant Maison Kammerzell. 1 for 1.
-two wineries in the Alsace. 0 for 2. neither cc worked. used cash.
-Zurich Hauptbahnhof train ticket machine. 1 for 1.
-Zurich Oerlikon train ticket machine. 1 for 1.

UA club cc batting average on last international trip: .444

Canada: no problems.

from my post #374:
Anybody know what the rhyme or reason is with this pattern of successes and failures?

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Jan 3, 2013 at 6:58 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Not true: [*Gold] also gets you access to some (granted, only a few) *A Gold lounges in the US. Case in point: the LH lounge at IAD.
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
even for a domestic itinerary?
Yes.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:07 pm

I have an MP Club Card coming for me and my spouse (I have the primary card). We both have the United Club Cards coming as well (I paid $150 for my wife's). My questions are:

1. If my wife travels without me, will she be able to get to two free checked bags?
2. Will she get the premier access at the airport (e.g. the premier security lines)?

I should have looked into these two things before applying for the card. However, after reading these forums and threads, the above two points are unclear to me.

My wife and I travel without one another often, so she would need to get the same level of access as me.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:17 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for this great tip. Got the 1 year off promotion, waiting for the card now.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TravelingJ
I have an MP Club Card coming for me and my spouse (I have the primary card). We both have the United Club Cards coming as well (I paid $150 for my wife's). My questions are:

1. If my wife travels without me, will she be able to get to two free checked bags?
2. Will she get the premier access at the airport (e.g. the premier security lines)?

I should have looked into these two things before applying for the card. However, after reading these forums and threads, the above two points are unclear to me.

My wife and I travel without one another often, so she would need to get the same level of access as me.
Unfortunately, nope, the above benefits only apply to the primary cardholder. If your wife is traveling on the same itinerary as you, then she can get those benefits too as your companion. But they don't apply if she travels without you.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
Unfortunately, nope, the above benefits only apply to the primary cardholder. If your wife is traveling on the same itinerary as you, then she can get those benefits too as your companion. But they don't apply if she travels without you.
Well that's not very convenient, nor does it make much sense.

So she needs to apply for her own card? Jeeze ..
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yeah, unfortunately airlines rewards cards seem to be designed mainly for the benefit of primary cardholders. My wife and I had to get our own MP Explorer card accounts last year to be able to take full advantage of the program. Strange because as an AU on my wife's Hilton Reserve Card, I'm never asked by the Hilton front desk if my wife is present.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by AntonK
Just wanted to say thanks for this great tip. Got the 1 year off promotion, waiting for the card now.
Which tip? Anyone cares to share how you get the fee waved for this card?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:38 am

Fee Waiver at B&M Chase Branch

They have the offer in a branch for first year fee free united club card.

It is onl every account managers desk as previously posted.

Warren, NJ and Bound Brook, NJ anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by tdm757
They have the offer in a branch for first year fee free united club card.

It is onl every account managers desk as previously posted.

Warren, NJ and Bound Brook, NJ anyway.
Thank you... Finally. Too bad im not anywhere near NJ, but will swing by Chase branch here.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Which tip? Anyone cares to share how you get the fee waved for this card?
The first page of this thread has directions for getting it waived.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by txrose86
The first page of this thread has directions for getting it waived.
I love you !
For those who didn't see the tip, here's how you do it.

First, sign into chase, then go to united.com (same window), sign in to united.com (view an itinerary to make sure it's really signed in, sometimes cookies leave you in this not quite signed in state), then paste the URL from this thread. Now it will take you to the explorer card member site. Paste the URL from this thread again and it should take you to the fee waived club card page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.