Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Old May 18, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
New member here. Got approved this morning after calling reconsideration line. I just got approved for the CSP card earlier this week also. She didnt ask me to consolidate any cards, which was good. Bad news is that she said I would receive my card in 2-3 weeks.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: *A Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC, EC Elite, Starbucks Gold :D
How soon can I expect my card ? And can I join Avis Preferred immediately ?

I have the long weekend rental coming up and was wondering, if I make a reservation right now, can I get the benefits later, when I go to pick up the car ?
Old May 18, 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek
I thought flashing the Visa card gets you in. Am I getting another card, too?
The Visa card won't get you in. Otherwise, all your additional cardholders could get in as well.

You get a normal United Club membership card just like people who joined the UC the normal way. Also, the membership is tied to your FF#

Last edited by infamousdx; May 18, 2012 at 11:17 am
Old May 18, 2012, 11:30 am

Yes.... although Chase customer service told me that I could just show my Visa card... Regardless, I am sure that won't work for *A partner lounges. when I informed the agent that, they told me that Chase would reimburse me for any such fees if I just paid on the spot...(as if I really believe that. This was a very green rep who clearly had no idea what this card was all about).

Regardless, UClub membership should be linked to your MP number... so as soon as it is linked, you should be OK for the UClub. However, as a UClub member you can access partner lounges... but need the actual membership card.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:07 pm

if my dad has the same name as me, can he use my United Club membership card? or will they check stuff like birthday etc?
Old May 19, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United GLD, HHonors GLD, Hyatt DM, Avis PC, Hertz PC, SPG....
waivers not automatic etc

Lurker -> poster.

1. Chase is quite incompetent (about just this card?). Customer service thought its mailed the card USPS. Sent it to an address where its not forwarded.
2. On reminding them what they really do, canceled that card (wont use exception, would give me a tracking number), did another pull!, created a new account number! -- to be mailed to this address.
3. Showed them offer waiving fee. Even secure mailed an image.=> "Forwarded to marketing division. We can't waive anything."

No fun. Lets see how the card itself turns out.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Thumbs up

I have 9 United codes from my trip to a United club yesterday
let me know if you are interested by commenting on my post at http://ucanflyfree2.com/ so I can keep track of how many people want it
Old May 21, 2012, 6:42 am

hi duc1986d

i post commend on your web site and love to have one code.thanks
Old May 21, 2012, 8:36 am

I have a question. I just got approved last week for the card. I am not a previous CO cardholder and just a plain silver member. I see a new line on my mileage plus account that says Flexible Premier Miles now. Does that mean this card will let me learn qualifying miles?
Old May 21, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I have a question. I just got approved last week for the card. I am not a previous CO cardholder and just a plain silver member. I see a new line on my mileage plus account that says Flexible Premier Miles now. Does that mean this card will let me learn qualifying miles?
Nope. I got excited that I might too when I saw that line show up, but it's not the case. It's just leftover from the CO Presidential Plus card.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by penner42
Nope. I got excited that I might too when I saw that line show up, but it's not the case. It's just leftover from the CO Presidential Plus card.
ah too bad, that would've definitely made the card worth it. thanks!
Old May 21, 2012, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
This card does not garner status. It does have perks, but does not grant elite status.

I'm really perplexed as to why all of you who are frequent flyers don't just stop by a club to pick up an application. As I mentioned before, if you are not frequent flyers, why bother with the card? If you are simply a casual traveler, the card buys you very little. Personally, why not apply for the Explorer card instead and grab the enrollment miles.
the card buys infrequent travelers a pleasant experience at the airport (as pleasant as possible, that is) when they do fly. free checked bags and priority baggage means i don't wait forever to get them back, priority security shaves 30-60 minutes off my line time, priority boarding reduces the risk of gate checking, united club access...
Old May 21, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: As many as I can!
You may be able to get the fee waived for the 1st year by writing a secure message to Chase and asking them to waive the fee.

They replied back that they would waive the fee if I applied and was approved for the cards, but your miles may vary.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: *A Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC, EC Elite, Starbucks Gold :D
Any idea how much time it will take to receive the physical Club card ? I was approved on Thursday night and on Friday, I called up United and they got it confirmed with Chase via conference that I was indeed approved.

The United rep then went on to get me registered for Club and said it might take 3-4 weeks for the card to arrive.

I have an international trip coming up and would have loved to use the *A lounge in Frankfurt. I guess just flashing the Chase card would let me in. Anyone had success expediting the Club card ?
Old May 21, 2012, 11:19 am

Just a quick and curious Q. United MileagePlus Club Card and the Explorer card are the the same thing? if not whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.