Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
[This thread is now archived.
Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rd-2016-a.html

[/B][/SIZE]

============================================

[/b] 50 + 5k offer for personal card. Requires MileagePlus login; redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFW
  • 50k miles after $3000 spend within first 3 months
  • 5k miles for adding an authorized user
  • No annual fee first year
  • No FTF
  • Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.

For discussion of card benefits, see the master thread in the United forum.
My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card: 50k+10k united miles
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Print Wikipost

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: *A Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC, EC Elite, Starbucks Gold :D
Originally Posted by penner42
I can still get the 65k offer. Open an incognito window in Chrome, log into your United account, then paste that link above twice. The first time it takes you do a catalog page, and then the second time to the 65k offer. Sadly, not ready for any new applications for me.
Thank you. Applied for my wife using this method and the 65k screen showed up.

I have taken a print screen of this. Hopefully I would not need to send SM et al
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by tinkerdeal
Thanks! Got it to work using this method.
Which link are you pasting ?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfr2000
Which link are you pasting ?

Thanks
In Post No.1 and Post No.6.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:03 am

Applied for the card, Received the "need for further process" message. Contacted the recon line. A gentleman said "you need to relocate some credit from your other cards in order to get approved". That's fine. We talked a bit to come to an agreement about how to do that. He then put me on hold to make the changes to credit limits and approve my card. 20 seconds later he came back and said, well while we were talking somebody else has approved your card, so we no longer need any relocation! Pleasantly strange...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: AA, SPG
I applied in late May for this card. Ran one $56 purchase through the card. When my statement closed 6/8 there was no credit or miles. I SM them and got the $50 adjustment and they said the miles should take 6-8 weeks. Haven't ran another purchase through it yet. How long did it generally take for the miles to show up? Next statement closes 7/8 so I'm curious to see what happens after that. May make a small purchase for $5 or so to see if those post.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smerri
I applied in late May for this card. Ran one $56 purchase through the card. When my statement closed 6/8 there was no credit or miles. I SM them and got the $50 adjustment and they said the miles should take 6-8 weeks. Haven't ran another purchase through it yet. How long did it generally take for the miles to show up? Next statement closes 7/8 so I'm curious to see what happens after that. May make a small purchase for $5 or so to see if those post.
Given they issued a $50 statement credit to you, it seems you do qualify for the 50K bonus.

When was your $56 charge made? Was it posted at least ONE WEEK before the 6/8 statement date?

Do you see any mile on your CARD STATEMENT? Or you just dont see it in your UA account? It makes a huge difference as where your problem of non-posting may lie.

Today is 7/3, statement is 7/8. It is too close to statement date to trigger any bonus if the first one did not trigger it. Chase cut off the processing of bonus about 1 week before statement closing date. Too many folks miss this often-mentioned fact and cut their qualifying purchases way too close to their statement dates...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:40 am

Does anyone have experience applying for Chase cards with other members of their household? My girlfriend (we live together) is a graduate student with excellent credit and no income. But the credit card apps ask for household income -- will she still be eligible for a chase card or two if she lists my income as household income?

Thanks for your help!

Also, for the questions people are asking about the 55,000 mile award (5,000 for authorized user plus 50,000 after first purchase), I signed up for that and only got 30,000 miles. I SM'ed Chase and they credited me the remaining 25,000 miles on my next statement. I didn't have to send in a screen shot, and they also gave me the $50 statement credit.

Last edited by riderbike37; Jul 3, 2012 at 12:02 pm Reason: update
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by riderbike37
Does anyone have experience applying for Chase cards with other members of their household? My girlfriend (we live together) is a graduate student with excellent credit and no income. But the credit card apps ask for household income -- will she still be eligible for a chase card or two if she lists my income as household income?

Thanks for your help!
Technically not, but as a practical matter, yes. If the issuer later asks for a tax return the income wouldn't hold up. But as long as she behaves, that shouldn't happen. Also she can probably only get and should only apply for one Chase card at a time, one per issuer is the usual rule of thumb, there are exceptions for people with long credit history, etc., but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by riderbike37
Does anyone have experience applying for Chase cards with other members of their household? My girlfriend (we live together) is a graduate student with excellent credit and no income. But the credit card apps ask for household income...
CC Apps no longer consider Household Income, only individual income. This is due to some of the federal laws passed recently. They still don't check jack though, so huzzah!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:24 pm

What is the general consensus of this offer? Is it worth burning a credit hit for the card?

I got the BA offer for 100k last year and the Capital One offer for 100k this year.

Is this offer considered low by comparison or am I not valuing the miles properly?

Thanks in advance because I am on the fence on this promo....
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
What is the general consensus of this offer? Is it worth burning a credit hit for the card?

I got the BA offer for 100k last year and the Capital One offer for 100k this year.

Is this offer considered low by comparison or am I not valuing the miles properly?

Thanks in advance because I am on the fence on this promo....
You will not see any 100K offer again any time soon. If you are holding out for those, you would be waiting in vain.

This is the highest offer UA miles have ever been. Whether it is worth to you nobody can answer that except you yourself.

In many folks book, UA miles certainly worth a lot more than C1's "miles" which is just 1 penny per "mile" worth, versus the TRUE airline miles often achieve 2 pennies or higher redemption value.

On a side note, most folks on this forum probably applied 1/2 a doz cards in any given year... you are truly an exception, if you only do one card a year...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:47 pm

Okay, I will bite and sign up but first I have one final question which hopefully someone can answer.

I have a credit freeze on all 3 credit bureaus. In order to apply I have to unfreeze the credit freeze.

Which bureaus do I need to "unfreeze" for this offer (There is a charge to do so each time so I would prefer to unfreeze only the bureaus that are necessary)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, I will bite and sign up but first I have one final question which hopefully someone can answer.

I have a credit freeze on all 3 credit bureaus. In order to apply I have to unfreeze the credit freeze.

Which bureaus do I need to "unfreeze" for this offer (There is a charge to do so each time so I would prefer to unfreeze only the bureaus that are necessary)?

Thanks in advance.
Nobody can know for sure which bureau the bank would pull. They usually go by geographic area but that is not a fool-proof method. For example, we used to get pulled on EQ by everyone, then 2 years ago Citi suddenly changed to pull EX on us (great because now we have Citi on EX and Chase on EQ).

If it is available via phone call, you could ask the rep ahead of time which report the bank would pull and you do an unfreeze while you are on the phone... But the offer via phone application is only for 40K...

Or, you could try to do this, apply online and wait a couple days, (esp we have a holiday tomorrow) then call Chase reconsideration line to inquire the application status and inform them you have freeze on all 3 reports - they may then tell you to unfreeze which one so they can review your application... It is just a real hassle... Unless you have a very good reason to freeze your credit reports (may be you had an ID theft in the past and you are scared), it is generally not worth the hassle (and cost) to freeze one's credit report...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond

Thanks in advance.

Chase, unlike Citi or Amex, will actually allow you to choose which bureau to pull if you have them all frozen. So if you know which report has the highest score and/or fewest inquiries (if they're all ~720+), I'd go with that one. You'll have to give them your PIN that the bureau gave you so they can pull it. Alternatively, you can tell them which one to pull on the phone and then temporarily un-freeze it yourself online.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Banks don't check jack is an understatement! Have a look at

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/atm-e...ry?id=16595361

From August 1-8, 2009 BoA allowed a gambler to overdraw over $1.5 million from ATM machines and gamble away money. This was an institution that beggared cash from taxpayers because it was too big to fail.

Looks to me like they failed pretty darn well.

Originally Posted by garkman
CC Apps no longer consider Household Income, only individual income. This is due to some of the federal laws passed recently. They still don't check jack though, so huzzah!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.