Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
[This thread is now archived.
Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rd-2016-a.html

[/B][/SIZE]

============================================

[/b] 50 + 5k offer for personal card. Requires MileagePlus login; redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFW
  • 50k miles after $3000 spend within first 3 months
  • 5k miles for adding an authorized user
  • No annual fee first year
  • No FTF
  • Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.

For discussion of card benefits, see the master thread in the United forum.
My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card: 50k+10k united miles
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Print Wikipost

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:59 am

I don't really get the whole problem with the AU making a purchase. I mean VENDING MACHINES take credit cards now, buy a bag of chips. Or use it for lunch. Why even have the conversation. Why risk the 5000 miles over NOT making a purchase?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:16 pm

Quick question also related to AU, does AU spend count for $2k spend?, both cards have exactly same thing except name as mentioned in the earlier post.

Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I do not quite understand what you said about the AU but if you mean the AU card is no need to use at least once, you are dead wrong.

The AU card must be used to make a purchase else your 5K is SOL - this is what that language means..

The AU himself / herself does not even need to see the card - YOU the Primary owner has the AU card which MUST BE USED FOR AT LEAST ONE PURCHASE in order to get the bonus.
My bad - I am really sorry if I led VizeL astray.
I just don't read: "5,000 bonus miles when you add an authorized user and make a purchase in the first three months." as saying that the AU has to USE the card.

Following what you've said, we both used the brand new card in the first day after it came in the mail, so we are good.

But now, the question above from klinsn has me worried - is it just the primary user whose charges count towards the $2000?
I know with the card in the past - that is to say 2.5 years ago for my now cancelled Explorer card, that that was not the case.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

Here's what I learned from Chase

I just got off the phone with Chase. Following my own advice, when in doubt call the company.

Here's what I learned:

The $2000 in purchases in the first 3 months (or $3000 for some folks depending on the offer) is not impacted by the $50 credit. For those people watching the totals and just wanting to spend the minimum for purchases, the $50 is a credit and - at least according to the CSR I spoke to - the $50 credit does not mean that you need to spend $2050 to earn the 50000 miles. (No problem for us, we'll spend more than that)

The Authorized User does NOT have to ever use the card. As long as there is an AU added to the account, the primary owner will earn the bonus 5000 miles. The bank has no way of knowing which card has been used to make a purchase, said the CSR, nor do they care. (No problem for us, we have both already used the card)

The $2000 (or $3000 depending on your deal) in purchases can be made by either the primary card holder or AU. Again, the bank has no way of knowing which card has been used to make a purchase.

All of this is moot for us as I mention above, but I just wanted to report what I learned from calling Chase.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mme H
My bad - I am really sorry if I led VizeL astray.
I just don't read: "5,000 bonus miles when you add an authorized user and make a purchase in the first three months." as saying that the AU has to USE the card.

Following what you've said, we both used the brand new card in the first day after it came in the mail, so we are good.

But now, the question above from klinsn has me worried - is it just the primary user whose charges count towards the $2000?
I know with the card in the past - that is to say 2.5 years ago for my now cancelled Explorer card, that that was not the case.
Sigh.

1) This is UNIVERSAL for all cards from virtually all issuers -
All charges made whether using the primary card or the AU card, goes to the SAME account, that is the Primary's account and count for the spend to meet the requirement.

2) On the additional bonus by adding an AU and make a purchase - The AU card must make one purchase regardless the amount - you could make a 0.10 purchase if you so prefer - to meet the requirement for the 5K additional bonus. This is also almost universal for virtually all issuers. AMEX from time to time would have such a thing for their PRGs IIRC, though AMEX offer usually has a $ attached to it, not just a purchase. The $ usually is $1K and the additional bonus usually is 10K. And the number of AUs can be up to 5. I dont see this kind of offer in the past 2 years.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mme H
I just got off the phone with Chase. Following my own advice, when in doubt call the company.

Here's what I learned:

The $2000 in purchases in the first 3 months (or $3000 for some folks depending on the offer) is not impacted by the $50 credit. For those people watching the totals and just wanting to spend the minimum for purchases, the $50 is a credit and - at least according to the CSR I spoke to - the $50 credit does not mean that you need to spend $2050 to earn the 50000 miles. (No problem for us, we'll spend more than that)

The Authorized User does NOT have to ever use the card. As long as there is an AU added to the account, the primary owner will earn the bonus 5000 miles. The bank has no way of knowing which card has been used to make a purchase, said the CSR, nor do they care. (No problem for us, we have both already used the card)

The $2000 (or $3000 depending on your deal) in purchases can be made by either the primary card holder or AU. Again, the bank has no way of knowing which card has been used to make a purchase.

All of this is moot for us as I mention above, but I just wanted to report what I learned from calling Chase.
I thought I have made it clear how it works, now came the completely wrong information.

While in general when in doubt call the company is in good sense, the sad fact is, many CSRs have NO CLUE how things work nor knowledgeable on their own products...

Double SIGH. Completely wrong information being fed, and then being disseminated further to create more ignorance. (nothing personal but ultimately it is the sad outcome here.)

If there is no need to make a purchase, then what is the language for?! Use your head and think a little, instead of taking the CSR's words as gospel because too many times, customers know far more than the front line reps.

You are being misinformed. The bank DOES HAVE WAYS to know which card is used for what charges even though it may not list it on the Chase personal cards activities but the bank KNOWS. The information is stored on the mag strip / chip in case you wonder how the bank knows. The name is not just printed on the card for decoration purpose. The name is also stored on the mag strip / chip as part of the data of the card - precisely so the bank can know exactly which card is used to make a charge!
Anyone who has an AU card being breached, knows the bank, any bank can identify which card is being used for a fraudulent charges.

Furthermore, if you have a Citi card or an AMEX card, that has an AU - online you will be able to see EXACTLY WHICH CARD is used for a particular charge, because the cardholder's name is in the description. It even tells you which type of transaction it is - online or swipe. Such information is available even when the charges are in Pending mode. I dont bother to look at paper statements to verify whether it is the same case as how it is displayed online.

Barclays have a more peculiar way to list it, in that it groups charges per card. It lists all the charges by the primary cardholder, and then the charges by the AU - now this is what I see on paper statement.

While Chase online lacks the ability to show the AU card information - it does NOT mean Chase is totally in the dark not knowing which card is being used.

Do yourself a favor, always take the CSR's words with a healthy dose of salt, despite they SHOULD know but unfortunately far too often they are fairly clueless, and even worse, the worse ones would make up things to just brush customers off.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: platinum card
Would you guys recommend this over the Chase Sapphire? coming from a business platinum AMEX card
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:02 pm

I do not quite understand what you said about the AU but if you mean the AU card is no need to use at least once, you are dead wrong.

The AU card must be used to make a purchase else your 5K is SOL - this is what that language means..

The AU himself / herself does not even need to see the card - YOU the Primary owner has the AU card which MUST BE USED FOR AT LEAST ONE PURCHASE in order to get the bonus.
Wrong. I received the 5k points on my last statement and the AU card has never been used.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Laura782
I, too, am hopeful. I closed my last Chase United card about 18 months ago when that card's bonus posted, but nonetheless applied for (and was instantly approved) this 50K bonus card on May 16. Several on these boards told me I was doomed and that Chase is tight on their T&C these days, but I called them up twice yesterday before activating my card and spoke to 2 separate CSRs, both of whom confirmed that I'll get the bonus miles with my spend as well as the $50 credit. I even admitted to them that I was unsure of when I closed my last account, but they reassured me I was eligible. I'll truly believe it when I see it, but your luck makes me think it might actually happen.
Wanted to update this board that my 5,000 "new cardmember bonus" points posted. I'm close to meeting the spend requirement, so hopefully the additional 50K points show up after my next statement, but it's looking more like Chase's 24 month rule isn't actually as firm as we thought.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by mk712
Wrong. I received the 5k points on my last statement and the AU card has never been used.
+1
Both my SO and myself have had several cards that had the 5K bonus for a AU. We have NEVER used the AU card, and have ALWAYS gotten the 5K bonus.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by bombadilio
Would you guys recommend this over the Chase Sapphire? coming from a business platinum AMEX card
The only thing it has over the Sapphire are United Club passes, free checked bag and priority boarding. If you fly United a lot, it may be worth it. But from an earning perspective, the CSP is better.

The Chase UA MP card is 2x miles on United purchases, 1x on everything else. The CSP is 2x miles on all travel purchases (including United. 3x if booked via UR portal) plus 2x on dining and 1x on everything else. UR points can be transferred to UA at 1:1, so the CSP has more earnings potential than the UA card and is more flexible since you're not tied down to one airline.

I got the UA card for the sign up bonus, but I'll be canceling it before the annual fee posts and keeping my CSP. The UA perks are nice, but I've lived without them for this long and I don't travel a ton, it's not worth the $95.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:19 pm

My first statement closed 6/20 and the 5K points for the AU was on the statement ( we did use the AU's card for a purchase)

I haven't had a United card( in fact this is my dads card) in a while.....how long does it usually take the points to hit your Mileage Plus account after the statement cuts ?

Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
My first statement closed 6/20 and the 5K points for the AU was on the statement ( we did use the AU's card for a purchase)

I haven't had a United card( in fact this is my dads card) in a while.....how long does it usually take the points to hit your Mileage Plus account after the statement cuts ?

Thanks
2 to 3 business days if there is no hiccup at the UA side. As long as the statement shows the bonus and the MP number is correct, the bonus will show up without follow up (unlike Citi or HHonors issues we have experienced).
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:39 pm

2 to 3 business days if there is no hiccup at the UA side. As long as the statement shows the bonus and the MP number is correct, the bonus will show up without follow up (unlike Citi or HHonors issues we have experienced).

Thanks, the points just posted
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:45 am

is the 50k+5k deal dead? after logging into the account, all it shows is the 30k offer for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.