Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
[This thread is now archived.
Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rd-2016-a.html

[/B][/SIZE]

============================================

[/b] 50 + 5k offer for personal card. Requires MileagePlus login; redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFW
  • 50k miles after $3000 spend within first 3 months
  • 5k miles for adding an authorized user
  • No annual fee first year
  • No FTF
  • Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.

For discussion of card benefits, see the master thread in the United forum.
My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card: 50k+10k united miles
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Print Wikipost

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Boghopper
mp club does.
No, it doesn't.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...reprefsplit=2&
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
I've tried everything to get 50K offer but no luck, but I did receive a targeted email for 40K points after 2k in spending along with 5k authorized user. Good deal? I could maybe try SM to Chase for the 10k and $50 statement after I apply for this card.
There are numerous data points in this thread, as recent as of a few weeks ago showing that you can get the 50k offer matched via SM
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by TravelingRabbit
Usually if you have status, you do not get CPUs on award tickets. If you hold the credit card, you will be eligible for CPUs for yourself only for whatever your status would qualify you.

So for example, lets say I'm global services, and my wife and I always get a free upgrade on my LAX-DEN flight. If I bought an award ticket, I would not get that upgrade. If I had the credit card, and booked award tickets, I would get an upgrade (after all the other GS folks got theirs but ahead of the 1Ks). Wife would still be on coach.
Ok, this is a newbie question. I'm an 1K and I'm gonna apply for the Explorer card. If I want to get an upgrade with my award ticket, should I just book it online as usual and somehow the reservation system will recognize that I have an Explorer card and put me on CPU list (after all 1K)? How long do I have to wait to have this benefit AFTER I get the card? Right away? And, do I have to call MileagePlus to let them know that I have the Explorer card?

Also, I looked at the terms and conditions on the application page, and I still couldn't find this benefit. I even called Chase and they said they have no idea what I'm talking about. Can someone quote me the specific T&C?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: MVPG
Was planning to use the technique on the wiki above for the 50K offer, but when I cleared cookies/history and logged into my account on United.com, there was a clickable offer for the 50K with $2K spend + 5K with added user.

Applied and got immediate approval - hope the card comes soon, have a trip planned.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by ktjan
Ok, this is a newbie question. I'm an 1K and I'm gonna apply for the Explorer card. If I want to get an upgrade with my award ticket, should I just book it online as usual and somehow the reservation system will recognize that I have an Explorer card and put me on CPU list (after all 1K)? How long do I have to wait to have this benefit AFTER I get the card? Right away? And, do I have to call MileagePlus to let them know that I have the Explorer card?

Also, I looked at the terms and conditions on the application page, and I still couldn't find this benefit. I even called Chase and they said they have no idea what I'm talking about. Can someone quote me the specific T&C?
The CPU upgrade benefit that comes with the Chase MP Explorer and Club cards is tied to your MP FF number. I'm not sure how long it takes for that linkage to happened, but it was within 24 hours from card approval in my case and was done automatically. Of course, you need to make sure you put the right MP FF# on your CC app.

When I log in to United.com and put my cursor over the "Mileage expiration" blue text, it says "Thank you for being a Chase MileagePlus cardmember," which presumably confirms the linkage. As soon as that linkage is confirmed, you can book award tickets and be CPU eligible on them. I don't know if it's just me, but I never see myself on the Upgrade List when I'm on a CPU-eligible award ticket, but I've cleared into first class several times regardless.

I'm not a UA GS, but I believe TravelingRabbit was mistaken in his example. AFAIK, CPU eligibility on award tickets is a perk of GS, you do not need a Chase UA credit card. Also, he was not 100% correct in saying "you will be eligible for CPUs for yourself only" - there is a known glitch/feature whereby if you book award tickets for other people from your MP account and leave the FF# blank, the other people will "inherit" your MP status. If you have a Chase UA CC, those other people will also be CPU eligible on the award ticket that you booked for them from your account. I have done this successfully for friends and family, and had them clear into F.

I couldn't immediately find the verbiage about CPU eligibility on award tickets either. Weird. I hope they're not taking that benefit away.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
I couldn't immediately find the verbiage about CPU eligibility on award tickets either. Weird. I hope they're not taking that benefit away.
From Chase's website:

Complimentary Upgrades on Award Tickets for Premier Members

The primary Cardmember who is also a MileagePlus Premier member traveling on a domestic MileagePlus award ticket will be eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on eligible United- and Copa-operated flights (when available). Visit united.com/awardupgrade Opens third party site disclosure in a new window for complete details.
Confirmed on United.com:

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
  • United MileagePlus Explorer Card
  • United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
  • United MileagePlus Club Card
  • United MileagePlus Club Business Card
  • United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card
  • United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be sorted as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
The CPU upgrade benefit that comes with the Chase MP Explorer and Club cards is tied to your MP FF number. I'm not sure how long it takes for that linkage to happened, but it was within 24 hours from card approval in my case and was done automatically. Of course, you need to make sure you put the right MP FF# on your CC app.

When I log in to United.com and put my cursor over the "Mileage expiration" blue text, it says "Thank you for being a Chase MileagePlus cardmember," which presumably confirms the linkage. As soon as that linkage is confirmed, you can book award tickets and be CPU eligible on them. I don't know if it's just me, but I never see myself on the Upgrade List when I'm on a CPU-eligible award ticket, but I've cleared into first class several times regardless.

I'm not a UA GS, but I believe TravelingRabbit was mistaken in his example. AFAIK, CPU eligibility on award tickets is a perk of GS, you do not need a Chase UA credit card. Also, he was not 100% correct in saying "you will be eligible for CPUs for yourself only" - there is a known glitch/feature whereby if you book award tickets for other people from your MP account and leave the FF# blank, the other people will "inherit" your MP status. If you have a Chase UA CC, those other people will also be CPU eligible on the award ticket that you booked for them from your account. I have done this successfully for friends and family, and had them clear into F.

Ah, thanks for the info. Do you know how long does it take them to approve the online application? Within 24-48 hours?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by ktjan
Ah, thanks for the info. Do you know how long does it take them to approve the online application? Within 24-48 hours?
The online Chase credit card application? Approval can be instant or it can take over a week with a manual review if you're borderline.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
The online Chase credit card application? Approval can be instant or it can take over a week with a manual review if you're borderline.
It depends. For me, I just applied a few minutes ago online and received instant approval.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:13 pm

Just went to my local Chase branch during a lunch break. Got the United MileagePlus Explorer with 50,000 after $2,000 and an additional 5,000 with authorized user and first purchase. The $50 statement credit wasn't included.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by OklaFlyer
The $50 statement credit wasn't included.
Send an SM asking for it.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:20 pm

Thanks, Bribro. Definitely will give it a shot.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is the $50 statement credit only after reaching the $2000 spending?

That is, that's when to send the SM asking for it?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Does it little longer for the passes to arrive in mail? Got the my new cc but no sign of the passes yet.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:38 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wco81
Is the $50 statement credit only after reaching the $2000 spending?
The original offer was $50 credit after any spend.

In reality, if you wait until $50 of spend has posted before you send the SM, they'll (usually) post the credit immediately, rather than telling you they'll follow up later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.