Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
[This thread is now archived.
Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rd-2016-a.html

[/B][/SIZE]

============================================

[/b] 50 + 5k offer for personal card. Requires MileagePlus login; redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFW
  • 50k miles after $3000 spend within first 3 months
  • 5k miles for adding an authorized user
  • No annual fee first year
  • No FTF
  • Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.

For discussion of card benefits, see the master thread in the United forum.
My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card: 50k+10k united miles
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Print Wikipost

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by travellingpinoy
Try the steps that worked for philemer on post #2706. If that doesn't work, try the steps that worked for me on post #2705. If that doesn't work and you somehow make it work, please post what you did. Good luck!
Firstly, I deleted cookies and my history on Chrome. When I go to the united.com website directly, the 30k banner doesn't appear as I'm opening the webpage from Indonesia. I have to use the search box to be able to fish out the 30k banner. Logged in on the second tab on Chrome. Went Back to the first tab to click the 30k banner and got tab 4. When I replaced the link with wiki's link, I got "We're sorry, due to systems issues the page you're trying to reach is not currently available. Please log into your account at united.com in 24 hours to try again. Thank you for your patience."

I'm hesitant about using a US proxy to apply. Anyone had any luck with them honoring the 50k deal over the phone?
Thanks for your help. Looks like my main problem is I'm not in the US.

Last edited by hightide; Jan 17, 2014 at 11:45 am
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:12 pm

Access from Outside US Does Not Seem To Be A Problem

Originally Posted by hightide
Firstly, I deleted cookies and my history on Chrome. When I go to the united.com website directly, the 30k banner doesn't appear as I'm opening the webpage from Indonesia. I have to use the search box to be able to fish out the 30k banner. Logged in on the second tab on Chrome. Went Back to the first tab to click the 30k banner and got tab 4. When I replaced the link with wiki's link, I got "We're sorry, due to systems issues the page you're trying to reach is not currently available. Please log into your account at united.com in 24 hours to try again. Thank you for your patience."

I'm hesitant about using a US proxy to apply. Anyone had any luck with them honoring the 50k deal over the phone?
Thanks for your help. Looks like my main problem is I'm not in the US.
I don't think it's your location. I did an experiment to replicate your results. I VPNed into Australia and verified that my external IP address was indeed coming from Australia. First, I used Firefox, no matter what I did it would not give me the 30k offer. Second, I used Chrome in Incognito Mode. When I type in united.com and not use autocomplete (which would put in an old URL for united.com that you have already used previously) it takes me to the United Australia local site. I did not get the 30k offer despite refreshing a couple of times. Next, I closed that Incognito window and opened a new one then I used autocomplete to go to United.com (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/default.aspx) which took me to the United States site. I didn't see the 30k offer. Then, I refreshed once, and the 30k offer popped up.

Of course, I was using Australia and not Indonesia (I'll probably try VPN-ning into Europe and China to see if I get any different results - more on this later). But both of them are outside the US. So it doesn't look like being outside of the US necessarily precludes you from seeing the offer. So to recap, I got it to work on Chrome Incognito (not Firefox) *and* by going to the US site rather than the local site then refreshing. Of course, with all things Flyertalk, YMMV. Good luck!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:30 pm

UPDATE: I got on Firefox again (with VPN connection in Australia). I got the offer by simply going to the upper right hand corner of the screen -> Click Change -> Choose United States from drop down -> Set Language to English (default) -> Hit OK. I got the offer (you may have to refresh a couple of times). Meanwhile, I also tried changing the country to Indonesia and a couple of other places - no dice on getting the offer. So, at this point, I think that it is highly likely that you were just in the local site which do not have US offers being loaded. But like what I did above, you could probably just try changing the country to get the offer.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:18 pm

Cleared cookies and logged on to United Site but no 30K banner.

Followed instructions in post 1654 and it worked with instant approval.

Thanks FlyerTalk Community.

How long should I wait to apply for the business card ?

Last edited by rover4618; Jan 18, 2014 at 10:27 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:27 am

Looks like I got the https://www.theexplorercard.com/UMPC...6P&REFERID=TEC

link to work!
Didn't see the offer for 50K + 5K though. Should I re-confirm with Chase?
Instantly approved for $8k

Thank you very much travellingpinoy!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by hightide
Looks like I got the https://www.theexplorercard.com/UMPC...6P&REFERID=TEC

link to work!
Didn't see the offer for 50K + 5K though. Should I re-confirm with Chase?
Instantly approved for $8k

Thank you very much travellingpinoy!
You're welcome! Glad I could help! As for confirming with Chase, I prefer the secure message method since I like to get that stuff in writing as much as possible so I have proof if ever I don't get what they said I was gonna get. I usually wait until I get the card, activated, and added into my online account. Then I send the secure message.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

Newbie mistake, kicking myself as I type this:

Somehow I applied (And was approved) for the regular 30k United Explorer cards last week.

I know Chase is pretty flexible w/ SM'ing for the higher bonus.

Is it best I SM them now, or wait until my 30k posts and "Act surprised"?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:30 am

Success

Ok, so I successfully signed my wife up for the 55K Chase Explorer Card as noted. Followed the directions and approved.

My question is after I have signed myself up, and after meeting the $1000 spend qualifications in the first 3 months and cancelling the cards in 11 months or so, and making sure we have some activity at the United Frequent Flyer site every 18 months so the miles don't expire, what is the next logical way to build up miles at United Airlines?

We don't fly much, and I am trying to build up the miles for when we retire in 3 years. Is there a next logical credit card signup bonus to apply for?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:27 am

You're welcome! Glad I could help! As for confirming with Chase, I prefer the secure message method since I like to get that stuff in writing as much as possible so I have proof if ever I don't get what they said I was gonna get. I usually wait until I get the card, activated, and added into my online account. Then I send the secure message.
Great, will follow your advice

Originally Posted by wormtail
Ok, so I successfully signed my wife up for the 55K Chase Explorer Card as noted. Followed the directions and approved.

My question is after I have signed myself up, and after meeting the $1000 spend qualifications in the first 3 months and cancelling the cards in 11 months or so, and making sure we have some activity at the United Frequent Flyer site every 18 months so the miles don't expire, what is the next logical way to build up miles at United Airlines?

We don't fly much, and I am trying to build up the miles for when we retire in 3 years. Is there a next logical credit card signup bonus to apply for?
Sign up for credit cards that are transfer partners with United such as Chase Sapphire Preferred, Ink Plus and Ink Bold.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by wormtail
You can also try applying for the United MEP Business Card for another 50k signup. I think the minimum spend is $2k. Follow the instructions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ted-miles.html.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:20 am

You can also try applying for the United MEP Business Card for another 50k signup. I think the minimum spend is $2k. Follow the instructions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ted-miles.html.
Thanks for the response. I don't have any legitamate business of my own, I am salaried employee so I think business cards are out. Sounds like personal cards only.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Newbie mistake, kicking myself as I type this:

Somehow I applied (And was approved) for the regular 30k United Explorer cards last week.

I know Chase is pretty flexible w/ SM'ing for the higher bonus.

Is it best I SM them now, or wait until my 30k posts and "Act surprised"?
I and two of my friends all signed up for the 30k offer. I SM'd Chase and said I knew someone who got the 50k offer + $50 statement credit and asked if they could match that for me. They SM'd me back within a day and said they could. I told both my friends to do the same thing and they got the same result.

I don't think you need to outsmart them at all. Just ask for the bonus and you should probably get it.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jfwr9
I and two of my friends all signed up for the 30k offer. I SM'd Chase and said I knew someone who got the 50k offer + $50 statement credit and asked if they could match that for me. They SM'd me back within a day and said they could. I told both my friends to do the same thing and they got the same result.

I don't think you need to outsmart them at all. Just ask for the bonus and you should probably get it.
Did anyone do this via telephone ? I was approved 2 days ago can I still pm them ? How does one go about initiating the pm ?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by rover4618
Did anyone do this via telephone ? I was approved 2 days ago can I still pm them ? How does one go about initiating the pm ?

Thanks
You have 90 days to request that they match the offer. Get the card, set up online access and then send a secure message from your account.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:51 am

After following the steps in the wiki as well as trying the ones from post 2705 and 2706 (using a Chrome incognito window each time), all I get when I paste the link in is a note that says

You are now being redirected to the
United MileagePlus® Explorer Card website.

whereupon it takes me to the 30K offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.