Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What do you think - Should I use my Capital One Venture or Chase Sapphire Abroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think - Should I use my Capital One Venture or Chase Sapphire Abroad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat

Debating which card to use in Europe - most spend will be on food. Venture at 2 points per dollar or Chase Sapphire at 2 points per dollar.

Say I spend $1000, that would mean

2000 points with Venture, or $20 off any future travel on the card

2000 points with Chase Sapphire - converted to UA MP - 2000 MP points. If 25,000 points is worth a $500 saver ticket, then 2000 points is roughly $40.

Is it obvious to go with Chase Sapphire here?

Also I'll be at a Marriott so I'm going to use my Marriott Visa to get 5 points/$1 ($1000 - 5,000 points - worth about $50 to me).

Ideas/thoughts?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by tennisboy
Yes, go with the Chase Sapphire. An ultimate rewards point is worth roughly 1.5 to 2 cents each when transferred to UA (could be more or less depending how you redeem them). Capital One points are worth just 1 cent each.

Also, I have heard from other posters that Capital One is ultra sensitive to fraud when traveling abroad and if your account is frozen, it is very hard to unfreeze it again while you are out of the country.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by samdori
Yes, go with the Chase Sapphire. An ultimate rewards point is worth roughly 1.5 to 2 cents each when transferred to UA (could be more or less depending how you redeem them). Capital One points are worth just 1 cent each.

Also, I have heard from other posters that Capital One is ultra sensitive to fraud when traveling abroad and if your account is frozen, it is very hard to unfreeze it again while you are out of the country.
It is not that hard to unfreeze it if you give them a collect call with proper identification. I've done that more than once. But that can be a big hassle depending on where you are and what you're doing when you learn of the problem. I agree that Capital One is ultra sensitive to fraud when traveling abroad, even if you notify them ahead of time (which you certainly must do - can easily be done online). No reason not to take it along, but be sure you have something else in your wallet too.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Chase UR points are worth a hard minimum 1.25 cpp so there shouldn't even be a debate here -- 1.25 cpp hard value > 1.0 cpp hard value.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
how do you get the hard minimum 1.25 cpp?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by allanfan
how do you get the hard minimum 1.25 cpp?
If you redeem points for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal, they're worth 1.25 cents each, so $625 of travel costs 50,000 points.

Of course, no mileage junkie would do that, but it sets a baseline for how much you should value a UR point.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tennisboy
Debating which card to use in Europe - most spend will be on food. Venture at 2 points per dollar or Chase Sapphire at 2 points per dollar.

Say I spend $1000, that would mean

2000 points with Venture, or $20 off any future travel on the card

2000 points with Chase Sapphire - converted to UA MP - 2000 MP points. If 25,000 points is worth a $500 saver ticket, then 2000 points is roughly $40.

Also I'll be at a Marriott so I'm going to use my Marriott Visa to get 5 points/$1 ($1000 - 5,000 points - worth about $50 to me).

Ideas/thoughts?

Why not bring both? Use the Sapphire on travel and dining spend, use the Capital One elsewhere. For non-dining spend, I think 1 UR point versus 2 cents cash back is pretty close.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Avoid using Crap1 at all cost overseas. Read the complaints about them. They are ultra sensitive about "fraud alerts" and very hard to deal with when something goes wrong. Go with the Chase card all the way.

With that said, I always travel with several cards when traveling in case I run into an issue noted above. That is always the smartest move.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bluto
Why not bring both? Use the Sapphire on travel and dining spend, use the Capital One elsewhere. For non-dining spend, I think 1 UR point versus 2 cents cash back is pretty close.
I think this is the best strategy. Use your Sapphire on travel and dining, and the Capital One card for everything else.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Avoid using Crap1 at all cost overseas. Read the complaints about them. They are ultra sensitive about "fraud alerts" and very hard to deal with when something goes wrong.
I live overseas and travel around the globe. Never had a single issue with using my Capital One, or my Chase Sapphire for that matter. I don't even use the travel notification. I prefer the Sapphire Preferred this year, but Capital One customer service has always been prompt and efficient when I've needed it. The same can't be said for Chase who are conscientious about customer service but hardly ever get it right until I escalate. Citi is actually my most problematic issuer, whose army of marketers manage to reach me anywhere I am -- sometimes at great cost to me -- to try to convince me to purchase worthless and redundant 'insurance.'

It's been said a bazillion times before but fraud protection is all about your profile. Any good card issuer who sees a random overseas charge or an uncommon charge in a kind of place where fraud is high is going to freeze you if you don't notify them ahead of time. Any good card issuer is also going to be damn certain it's actually you who calls them to unfreeze, something that can be hard to do when the caller ID shows you calling from overseas.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:13 pm

I read on one of the Boarding Area blogs about people in Europe treating the SP card as a debit card because of the way it looks. I don't think there was a problem using it, just required some explanation. One note, however, if you plan to go to any small establishments that take an imprint, might not work so well with SP.

Ike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.