Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Not sure if this was discussed previously, but I was at the Amsterdam airport buying a train ticket and the card kept getting rejected from the ticket machine, despite having setup a travel notification.

After calling up Chase and speaking with an airport employee, I found out it was rejected because the card doesn't have a pin, like all European chip cards. I was in Europe for two weeks and this was my only encounter of this happening. I wanted to share so hopefully no one else has to deal with those frustrating 20 minutes of confusion.
I had the exact same issue with my Citi Prestige card while in Amsterdam trying to by tickets for the local metro and major trains. I ended up having to get some cash from an ATM to make this transaction work for the metro, and had to see an attendant/customer service rep for the major trains who used a different type of point of sale system. I believe this is an issue with some automated points of sale in Europe that will not work with any US type card as they require a PIN to work which comes out as a "cash advance" on US cards and carry a hefty fee.

I only experienced this issue once in London and every time in Amsterdam at automated POS Systems.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:57 pm

Metal vs plastic

I just received my reserve card, the metal one. I had an issue with it swiping at a car wash, and a local gas station. My next trouble I have, I'm going to use my plastic card, which I used a ton! and no issues what so ever. So 3 strikes and your out. 2017 I'm taking 4 vacations, I don't want any issues. I'd rather have the confidence of the plastic, then the hopes of a compliment. I'll see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.