Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by RJ1
If you request a plastic version of the card, can you also keep the metal card, or is it invalidated when the plastic card is issued?
You can keep both the metal and plastic version.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by bribro
You can keep both the metal and plastic version.
Any pictures of the plastic CSP card?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )
i cant stand chase's cust service. since i got this card it is mostly rejected in japan, and when i called up to ask if i could have a pin for a transaction at a pin+chip rail kiosk they said that there was a chance it would post as a cash advance instead of credit and i'd be charged the ridiculous 20% apr.
"ok, any way to modify this? i'd rather not get tagged for 20% on this rather large bullet train purchase i'm about to make".
"sir, i don't believe i've set an unreasonable expectation as to the possibility it may post as a cash advance".
"sure, understood, but you guys have the ability to see my transactions. given that i am telling you right here and now that I am making this purchase, can you please ensure that if it does show as a cash advance that it is changed instead to credit?"
"sir, I believe I have given you a fair expectation on what may result for using a pin on this card. I have heard of many people using it and it working correctly, but there is a chance that it will not post correctly and you will be charged that APR".
"ok, i really do understand that. Is there a way for chase to correct that should it so happen?"
"sir, i believe i have..."
"ok, forget it. Thanks"

That combined with the absolutely horrendous practice of waiting about 24 hours on every response on an issue that is kind of important.
I mean this is really kinda ridiculous.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:54 pm

So today I tried to swipe my card at WalMart and it said "card must be inserted". I asked what this meant and the first cashier did not know, they called over the supervisor who should us if you lift up the box where you swipe the card, there is a spot underneath were you could insert a card. I inserted my card and still didn't work.

Any thoughts? It has worked everywhere else. Trying to reach my $3,000 spend!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NJTeacher
So today I tried to swipe my card at WalMart and it said "card must be inserted". I asked what this meant and the first cashier did not know, they called over the supervisor who should us if you lift up the box where you swipe the card, there is a spot underneath were you could insert a card. I inserted my card and still didn't work.

Any thoughts? It has worked everywhere else. Trying to reach my $3,000 spend!
Insert it so that the chip on the front is toward the terminal. You may need to push hard on it for the terminal to recognize the card. Welcome to the future of credit cards in this country.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
Insert it so that the chip on the front is toward the terminal. You may need to push hard on it for the terminal to recognize the card. Welcome to the future of credit cards in this country.
Which, for my experiences at Wal-Marts is like, ten times slower than a swipe and annoying.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:57 pm

Square card readers consistently reject my Sapphire Preferred card. Sigh.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by TurboKaren512
Mine is terribly scratched up on the front as well. Have not had any swiping problems yet tho.
If anything, my friends and I take great pride in the amount of "road wear" our credit cards get, to the point that it's almost a competition to see how ratty-looking our cards can get before they are replaced.

Bonus points if the card starts to de-laminate or cracks due to overuse. Megabonus points if the card is actively cracking/falling apart and you manage to keep using it. Intentionally abusing the card (ie: sitting on it and breaking it that way / bending the card) counts as a disqualification.

Lately they're replaced due to fraudulent charges before we are able to wear them out. Managed to get AMEX to allow me to keep my AMEX# the same after getting bitten in the Target breach a couple years back.

The CSP looks like it'll be ideal for this -- it does seem to scratch easier than my Amex or Wells-Fargo cards, which is a shame since it does look rather good, BUT I don't think we'll have to worry about breaking the card. Maybe delamination, but that's about it.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:02 pm

I just got this card in the mail today and I can barely feel any "metal". It feels ever so slightly heavier than a regular plastic card. Is this a new design? or Have they always been like this?

The way people were making it sound earlier in this thread it sounded like it was a hunk of metal
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Never have had issues before but for some unknown reason the machine at the train station parking garage I use every weekend seems to not like the card. It's not a swipe machine but you insert the card and I'm wondering if the lack of raised numbers on the front is triggering the non-acceptance.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 pm

Not sure if this was discussed previously, but I was at the Amsterdam airport buying a train ticket and the card kept getting rejected from the ticket machine, despite having setup a travel notification.

After calling up Chase and speaking with an airport employee, I found out it was rejected because the card doesn't have a pin, like all European chip cards. I was in Europe for two weeks and this was my only encounter of this happening. I wanted to share so hopefully no one else has to deal with those frustrating 20 minutes of confusion.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Not sure if this was discussed previously, but I was at the Amsterdam airport buying a train ticket and the card kept getting rejected from the ticket machine, despite having setup a travel notification.

After calling up Chase and speaking with an airport employee, I found out it was rejected because the card doesn't have a pin, like all European chip cards. I was in Europe for two weeks and this was my only encounter of this happening. I wanted to share so hopefully no one else has to deal with those frustrating 20 minutes of confusion.
That's unfortunate considering that Visa's newest rules require cards without a PIN to work. I'd file a complaint with Chase and/or Visa and mention that. It's unlikely they'll add PIN to the card but enough complaints may cause the ticket machines there to be fixed.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:15 pm

Send an SM to Chase requesting that the cards be Chip + PIN. Chase thinks Americans are too lazy to use a PIN and are afraid Americans will use other forms of payment instead. It may be one small voice, but maybe if enough of us voice it they'll listen.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
Send an SM to Chase requesting that the cards be Chip + PIN. Chase thinks Americans are too lazy to use a PIN and are afraid Americans will use other forms of payment instead. It may be one small voice, but maybe if enough of us voice it they'll listen.
It's not because we can't handle PIN--it's because it's not worth Chase's (nor most anyone else's) time and effort. I posted a reference to http://www.mapacific.com/files/42820...%20Outlook.pdf in the EMV thread recently that probably has the best explanation on why PIN isn't happening any time soon. Page 28 in particular shows that the losses (in dollars) from fraud that PIN would prevent are much smaller than losses that would be prevented just by having a chip.

The speculation about how people can't remember or don't want PIN is simply that; most people don't care as long as the card works. It would be nice if Visa enforced their own acceptance rules though.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by aarif1
My 5 month old card still looks great, and I've only had trouble swiping it at self service kiosks such as parking meters and T (public transit) ticket machines.
Well, kiosk machines are so convenience, maybe you can also find some RFID kiosk card reader solutions such as Syncotek SK-AD3, you can also find other swipe card reader from Syncotek.com.

Last edited by philemer; Jan 20, 2016 at 9:18 pm Reason: removed link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.