Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred Card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by keirnna
Get the plastic version.
After explaining the problem to a couple Chase reps I thought they were sending me a plastic replacement, but then the last one I spoke to said it would be another metal one.

Not the end of the world as I have other cards and did achieve the required spend, but as a No FX Fee card with good earnings potential, it would be nice to be able to rely on it all the time.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

I am still using the metal card as my primary card.

But I requested a plastic card for back up purpose.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:54 pm

The only places I've had trouble swiping it are where I had trouble with other plastic cards too. Also, mine is really scratched up, too, which doesn't look very nice at all.
Old May 8, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I've definitely had some problems in the US, mostly with cab drivers. The cards definitely don't work well with the little gadgets that are supposed to capture raised numbers, but the card also doesn't always work in more modern machines. It's pretty annoying, in my opinion, but at least I have a backup card.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:00 am
HCA

It works most times but one time it took me 20 mins in a gas station (need to walk in, I almost want to switch to another card for billing but they finally get it worked) before I return my rental car to airport and almost caused me miss the flight.
Old May 9, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA
Port of Seattle ferry terminal - ticket vendor could not get the card to read after 3 swipes. (FWIW, I couldn't see if he was swiping it the right way...) Was about to miss the ferry so I threw a different [plastic] card.

Seattle cab co. - needed an imprint, despite the fact that he still had to swipe it in a separate machine. Irritated me b/c I gave him my Amex which didn't imprint correctly so he still had to handwrite the cc #...

Also had a merchant terminal somewhere in Seattle (forgot where) that gave me some trouble, I think it took 3 swipes to get it to read.

Never had a problem until now, cardholder since October.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:28 pm

Any idea why chase making these cards from metal. Is it to show these cards are prestigious
Old May 9, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Seattle?

I wonder what is in the water in Seattle since that is the only place I have had trouble with my card (wonder if we had the same cab driver?) Have had it since May 2011 and have been to San Fran, Hawaii, Canada, Las Vegas and Atlanta-no troubles at home or at either of those places, except Seattle.

Small world sometime...

Originally Posted by thefunch
Port of Seattle ferry terminal - ticket vendor could not get the card to read after 3 swipes. (FWIW, I couldn't see if he was swiping it the right way...) Was about to miss the ferry so I threw a different [plastic] card.

Seattle cab co. - needed an imprint, despite the fact that he still had to swipe it in a separate machine. Irritated me b/c I gave him my Amex which didn't imprint correctly so he still had to handwrite the cc #...

Also had a merchant terminal somewhere in Seattle (forgot where) that gave me some trouble, I think it took 3 swipes to get it to read.

Never had a problem until now, cardholder since October.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Any idea why chase making these cards from metal. Is it to show these cards are prestigious
Well it definitely isn't cheaper! I would assume the "prestige" is the idea behind it, but frankly it's just annoying.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
So the big question...will this set the metal detector at TSA off?
Old May 10, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Simpleton
Well it definitely isn't cheaper! I would assume the "prestige" is the idea behind it, but frankly it's just annoying.
I like how the card feels, and it hasn't caused any problems for me.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:40 pm

I had this same problem at a restaurant and the guy took a piece of paper and wrapped it around the card, then ran it through the scanner. So the paper was actually covering the strip.
Seems strange but it worked, scanned right away!
Old May 10, 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by sunflow9
I had this same problem at a restaurant and the guy took a piece of paper and wrapped it around the card, then ran it through the scanner. So the paper was actually covering the strip.
Seems strange but it worked, scanned right away!
There's a Chipotle near my house where they have problems with probably 80% of the credit cards they try to scan, so they also use the piece of paper trick, and it usually works. I've seen it used in other places, too.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by dparkinson
So the big question...will this set the metal detector at TSA off?

I forgot to take my metal CSP card out of my pocket yesterday... and it didn't set off the metal detector.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by txrose86
The only places I've had trouble swiping it are where I had trouble with other plastic cards too. Also, mine is really scratched up, too, which doesn't look very nice at all.

Mine is reallllly scratched up. My Freedom card with about the same amount of use, looks much nicer still... vibrant blue.

And I can never get the metal CSP to work at Redbox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.