Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Ink Bold reward structure + no foreign transaction fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase Ink Bold reward structure + no foreign transaction fee

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:08 am

Ugh -- how is Chase going to keep track of which card is which.

I applied about a month ago and have the old card, but did not understand that the new earnings structure wouldn't apply to it, so have in the last couple of days transferred all my auto pay on wireless and directv over to this card -- the 5x would be very valuable to me. I guess, though, that my card won't get that, according to mia's report.

Oh well, I'll give it one statement and see what happens. Bummer, though -- that would have been very valuable to me.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm in the same camp as mia and lkar.

I was just approved for the Ink Bold on Nov 17 (19 days after I placed the web application). I received the card in the mail and immediately activated it on November 29th (which is after the new rewards structure went into effect). I also like the new 5-2-1 rewards structure, so I tried the secure message route with Chase to ask if I could be converted to the new rewards system. The reply was a firm "no."

One customer rep on the Ink Bold phone line (the toll-free number on the back of your card) told me that he thought everyone was going to be converted to the new rewards structure by summer 2012. But take that as just a rumor - he wasn't sure about it.

I've also got a Sapphire Preferred (personal card). My Sapphire Preferred U.R. account is separate from my new Ink Bold U.R. account. I should be able to transfer points back and forth if I wish via the U.R. website. But I've asked Chase if there is a way to automatically link my U.R. points from the Sapphire Preferred and the Ink Bold into one pot. A CSR told me no. Anyone know a way to do this (other than making manual transfers on their website)? It would be handy to link accounts in case I were to decide later to cancel one of these cards. I'll definitely be keeping at least one of them long-term, but I'm not sure yet if I'll decide to keep both.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I've also got a Sapphire Preferred (personal card). My Sapphire Preferred U.R. account is separate from my new Ink Bold U.R. account. I should be able to transfer points back and forth if I wish via the U.R. website. But I've asked Chase if there is a way to automatically link my U.R. points from the Sapphire Preferred and the Ink Bold into one pot. A CSR told me no. Anyone know a way to do this (other than making manual transfers on their website)? It would be handy to link accounts in case I were to decide later to cancel one of these cards. I'll definitely be keeping at least one of them long-term, but I'm not sure yet if I'll decide to keep both.
Can you confirm that you can manually transfer the points to your Sapphire Preferred account? I thought you could, but then I read something yesterday that said you couldn't do it yet, and that they were going to implement the feature later. So now I'm confused.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by txrose86
Can you confirm that you can manually transfer the points to your Sapphire Preferred account? I thought you could, but then I read something yesterday that said you couldn't do it yet, and that they were going to implement the feature later. So now I'm confused.
you can do it. I've been doing on UR website. You can even transfer from family members UR points to ur account
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
you can do it. I've been doing on UR website. You can even transfer from family members UR points to ur account
Awesome, thank you! The information I read yesterday must have been out of date.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ersan
Just got off the phone with Chase and I figured I'd share:

The representative may have misspoken but this is what she said:
7500 bonus points for $15,000 spent (down from $25,000)
15000 bonus points for next $25,000 spent
25000 bonus points for next $50,000 spent

She did guarantee me that the threshhold bonuses still exist on the new card.

I was also told that they also no longer offer the flat 20% point bonus to Chase Checking customers (found here: https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...98_tri_landing) by my business banker.

Are you sure about this? Many bloggers are saying INK BOLD Cards applied after Nov 28th will no longer have the Tiered Bonus since they added the 5X office supplies,Cable,Internet bonuses and no Foreign Transaction fee..
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:21 am

New Ink Bold Benefit

Earn 5X points per dollar on the first $25,000 spent annually on office supply store purchases, cellular/landline phone service, and cable services. Cable services includes bundled TV, internet, and phone. Non-bundled internet earns 1 point per dollar spent.

Can somebody explain the above to me? If I have only Cable TV, do I get 5x? If I only have Cable and Internet, do I get 5x? What about only Internet and Phone? Also if I have like Dish Network or Directv, do I get 5x?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cazic99
... If I have only Cable TV...
In general these types of bonuses are unrelated to the services you purchase, and are strictly based on the merchant classification. However, it sounds as if Chase can distinguish an internet-access-only cable bill from a mixed services cable bill, and isn't targeting the internet only contracts even if provided by a vendor which would otherwise qualify. Remember, Ink Bold is a business card. The expectation is that you will use it for business-related charges (e.g. office internet service, rather than home entertainment)

Last edited by mia; Dec 2, 2011 at 8:28 am Reason: Total rewrite
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Interesting, I recently received the new Ink bold and my paperwork says 5x/2x on the first $50000 (not 25,000)

Originally Posted by cazic99
Earn 5X points per dollar on the first $25,000 spent annually on office supply store purchases, cellular/landline phone service, and cable services. Cable services includes bundled TV, internet, and phone. Non-bundled internet earns 1 point per dollar spent.

Can somebody explain the above to me? If I have only Cable TV, do I get 5x? If I only have Cable and Internet, do I get 5x? What about only Internet and Phone? Also if I have like Dish Network or Directv, do I get 5x?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:35 pm

Just to update. I applied for the bold through one of the links in this thread. I got approved and I am getting the yearly spending bonus too. It depends what application you use.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'm in the same camp as mia and lkar.

I was just approved for the Ink Bold on Nov 17 (19 days after I placed the web application). I received the card in the mail and immediately activated it on November 29th (which is after the new rewards structure went into effect). I also like the new 5-2-1 rewards structure, so I tried the secure message route with Chase to ask if I could be converted to the new rewards system. The reply was a firm "no."

One customer rep on the Ink Bold phone line (the toll-free number on the back of your card) told me that he thought everyone was going to be converted to the new rewards structure by summer 2012. But take that as just a rumor - he wasn't sure about it.

There is NOWAY they will convert everyone, that is just a rep who has no clue. Why? What if you have somebody building up his spend to 100K to get the Tiered Bonus, you are going to tell him Mid Summer , no we are changing? There is noway, you will have what you got unless they convert you or you get a new card.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:14 pm

20% bonus

I didn't realize there was a 20% Ink Bold bonus. I applied for the card on Nov. 20 but just got it and activated a couple of days ago.

Is the 20% bonus a yearly bonus on all UR points earned, similar to the Chase Sapphire Preferred 7% yearly bonus?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
targeted offer

Yesterday, I found a targeted offer for the Ink Bold with 50k points credited after FIRST TRANSACTION in my mailbox. I had JUST applied via web link (with $5000 spend required) that very morning!!!! Decided to risk the double pull and applied again (using different business.) Anyone have a similar situation? result? I figure I'll call on Monday to sort it out and move along the process...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I just received the 50K Ink Bold offer in the mail today. No minimum spend. I'm going to cancel one of my 3 Chase cards to increase my odds of being approved. I know some people have held 4 and 5 Chase cards at one time but I don't want to chance it. Plus, the annual fee is coming due on one card so it will be a good one to cancel.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Since this is a Business Card , will it display under my Chase Log In , along with my other Chase Cards. I often see new Chase card approvals , there , before I am notified.
Six days since my app, no word yet. I'll call on the 10th day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.