Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by eknock007
I agree that this card is a keeper. Me and the wife have been able to do week-long stays at some very nice Intercontinentals using a combination of 2 free night certs, 3 nights on points (mainly earned, some bought at a discount), and 2 nights cash. On average it saves us around 65% of the going rate for a week-long stay.
You must spend some big bucks on those PV cards to get close to 3 free nights a year on points

Everyone is down on Hilton right now but you can easilly get 8 free nights in a cat 7 with no annual fees for a fraction ( $8k) of the spend you are making on your PC visa
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: SQ
But one can always buy the PC points easily without the card. Hilton is frustrating sometimes - sometimes not.

Can't recommend this card enough. Of course only because of the best annual fee reward out there
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by flyer4512
You must spend some big bucks on those PV cards to get close to 3 free nights a year on points

Everyone is down on Hilton right now but you can easilly get 8 free nights in a cat 7 with no annual fees for a fraction ( $8k) of the spend you are making on your PC visa
To clarify we do not spend 10's of thousands of dollars on our PC visas. We spend under $4500 last year between us to accummulate enough for those 3 free nights. Most of our spend about 55K/year goes on other CC's. Most of our points come some leisure stays but mostly from the wife's business stays. This is doable for us year after year. Trying to churn to get 8 free nights at at Cat 7 Hilton year after year I don't think is sustainable. It is more and more difficult to do considering many of the methods to accummulate Hilton points have either been discontinued (Hawaiian Air CC's), have low-signup offers (VS CC), have time-limitations (AMEX), or are being subjected to stricter anti-churning controls (Citi). 3 years ago you could easily accumulate 400K hilton pts in a year strictly from churning. In today's climate, you are fortunate to get 200K. Even then those 200K are now worth less.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Please report back with a follow up on this. May we assume you used the same PC (or IHG now) number?
yes
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:55 am

I'd rather churn it ( if possible) and rotate it in with my Marriott, Sheraton , Hilton churns

80K points for spending $1000 and no annual fee vs 1 free night ( that I have to use within one year) and paying $49 is an easy choice for me
have to agree with you.
on a side note I was able to churn the Marriott to Ritz and back to Marriott - 210k points, but only the first time included a free night stay.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:05 pm

To clarify we do not spend 10's of thousands of dollars on our PC visas. We spend under $4500 last year between us to accummulate enough for those 3 free nights. Most of our spend about 55K/year goes on other CC's. Most of our points come some leisure stays but mostly from the wife's business stays. This is doable for us year after year. Trying to churn to get 8 free nights at at Cat 7 Hilton year after year I don't think is sustainable. It is more and more difficult to do considering many of the methods to accummulate Hilton points have either been discontinued (Hawaiian Air CC's), have low-signup offers (VS CC), have time-limitations (AMEX), or are being subjected to stricter anti-churning controls (Citi). 3 years ago you could easily accumulate 400K hilton pts in a year strictly from churning. In today's climate, you are fortunate to get 200K. Even then those 200K are now worth less.
Ok, you're in a different boat than me as I never stay in hotels (except for free nights on vacation) so I only gain points through CC purchase and Churn

I have already churned 3 Citi Visa's this year for 150K and I'm not even really trying ( completing the spend and getting another card right away )so I'm sure I could do more and with your wife you could double what I do.

190K HH points is still 4 nights in a cat 7 and as long as citi keeps the churn going 4 cards per year (200k) is very easy for me at the moment

My goal is to pay nothing for my stay, that one "free " night is still costing me $49 at PC

I've never had the Hawaiian CC's , did they discontinue the transfer to HH ?

I'm not trying to make this one program vs another but rather letting people who may not be aware of other options

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 20, 2013 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
have to agree with you.
on a side note I was able to churn the Marriott to Ritz and back to Marriott - 210k points, but only the first time included a free night stay.
I've been churning Marriott since 2005, I wait 18 months between apps. I always get the points and using different MR #'s received the free night a few times also

PC is a nice card and if they deny my churn attempt I can always pay the annual fee ( the following year) and get the free night so by attempting to churn vs holding the card all I am risking is losing a $49 "free" night

If the churn works I get several free nights that are actually free.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I've never had the Hawaiian CC's , did they discontinue the transfer to HH ?
HA didn't discontinue the transfer part. Only the CC's are no longer available from BofA or Bank of Hawaii. I churned these myself twice converting the HA miles into nearly 300K Hilton points.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:14 pm

HA didn't discontinue the transfer part. Only the CC's are no longer available from BofA or Bank of Hawaii. I churned these myself twice converting the HA miles into nearly 300K Hilton points.
Looks like the HA cc was shut down recently, did the cards have an annual fee the first year ? I'm just wondering why I never got one, annual fees are something I try to avoid

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:51 pm

Looks like the HA cc was shut down recently, did the cars have an annual fee the first year ? I'm just wondering why I never got one, annual fees are something I try to avoid
Yes, $79 fee NOT waived 1st year. I found it (borderline) worth it prior to the HH devaluation. Wouldn't pay it now even if the cards were still being issued. Too many other options out there.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:19 am

Can the 1 free night be used to make a reservation for someone else (family member)? I will not be on that reservation...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Can the 1 free night be used to make a reservation for someone else (family member)? I will not be on that reservation...
Yes
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:46 am

another datat point: Applied 7/15 got the card 7/20, called to confirm 80k after 1k spend. Put 1000 instantly on amazon payments. I will repost to confirm when the 80k points post. Thanks for the link!!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Wife's 80K posted yesterday when the 2nd stmt. posted.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:25 pm

So I'm clearly a newbie here...I literally just applied for the IHG card this morning for 60K points, and did not see the link to the 80k points til just now (I swear I searched for something better before I applied and found nothing, then this afternoon I just happened upon it- argh!).

Anyway, is it better to call now and ask for the bump or wait til I receive my card and meet the spending requirements?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.