Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mtrsprt56
They replied to my SM saying that if there is a better offer within 90 days they will match it.

Has anyone been able to have them match the 80K points via SM after applying for the 60K points + $50 credit?
Yes. Just send a SM asking them to match the 80k offer without the $50 statement credit.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by msfrugalista
Yes, I was just able to. I got confirmation from CSR via SM that the additional 20K points will be deposited after the next billing statement (I have completed the $1000 min spend). They did however revert the $50 statement credit. Said I could not get both the credit and the 20K additional - I had to pick one. I picked the points
That's what I'm afraid of, even though I have a screenshot, it seems like people are being given the same options, either 20K points or the statement credit.

Originally Posted by Superorb
Yes. Just send a SM asking them to match the 80k offer without the $50 statement credit.
See above, they say they will give you the points, but then no statement credit.....
Old May 5, 2015, 3:49 pm

See above, they say they will give you the points, but then no statement credit.....
I know, hence the "without the $50 statement credit" in my reply
Old May 5, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I know, hence the "without the $50 statement credit" in my reply
LOL, my apologies, I've clearly go that speed reading issue where I don't read every word and assume what you're trying to say from the words that I did read haha .
Old May 5, 2015, 10:47 pm

LOL, my apologies, I've clearly go that speed reading issue where I don't read every word and assume what you're trying to say from the words that I did read haha .
Oh I do that too, or I assume one thing when it's clearly something else. But someone always puts me in my place I've been trying to read things more slowly, but there are just so many posts to catch up on every day.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:57 pm

Also, question about points expiring......will the IHG points expire after 12months of no use even if you have and keep the IHG credit card (since technically you'll earn points any time you use the card)?

The reason I ask is because I believe with the Amex SPG card, as long as you have the card and earn points, they'll never expire.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:23 pm

Also, question about points expiring......will the IHG points expire after 12months of no use even if you have and keep the IHG credit card (since technically you'll earn points any time you use the card)?
So long as the card offers elite status, your IHG points will not expire regardless of whether you use the card.

For fuller discussion of the coming changes to the IHG program, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ards-club.html, especially the wiki, which lists various ways to avoid expiration/reset the 12-month clock.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by beltway
So long as the card offers elite status, your IHG points will not expire regardless of whether you use the card.

For fuller discussion of the coming changes to the IHG program, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ards-club.html, especially the wiki, which lists various ways to avoid expiration/reset the 12-month clock.

Thank you very much! Answered my question, but now I have another. It seems in that thread some people mentioned that the sign up bonus counted as elite qualifying points....is that true? Or was it a mistake? Or are they just trolling?
Old May 7, 2015, 6:42 am

Thank you very much! Answered my question, but now I have another. It seems in that thread some people mentioned that the sign up bonus counted as elite qualifying points....is that true? Or was it a mistake? Or are they just trolling?
It may be the case that the IHG website (mis)displays the Chase card signup as counting toward status. (I'll have a fresh data point on this in the next month or two, FWIW.) IHG changed their policy a couple years ago so that such points do not count toward earning status.

Note, however, that this is entirely academic, at least for the moment. The card automatically confers Platinum status, currently the top IHG tier. As noted in the thread I linked to above, IHG is adding a new tier in the coming months, and it is very clear that their policy in the future will remain that Chase signup bonuses do not count toward earning status. See the wiki in that thread & this statement from the FT spokesman for IHG.

Last edited by beltway; May 7, 2015 at 6:50 am
Old May 7, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I'm closing in on 1 year with the IHG MC, and when I applied it was not tied to any signup bonus offer to my recollection. The welcome e-mails from Chase just reference the usual bennies. Even if I'm mistaken, I definitely never collected on any bonus.

So if, as the current 70K offer says, it "is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months," that means I could immediately cancel once the anniversary night hits, reapply, and get approved with the bonus offer, right? No need to wait for the post-24-month churn?
Old May 7, 2015, 5:52 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm closing in on 1 year with the IHG MC, and when I applied it was not tied to any signup bonus offer to my recollection. The welcome e-mails from Chase just reference the usual bennies. Even if I'm mistaken, I definitely never collected on any bonus.

So if, as the current 70K offer says, it "is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months," that means I could immediately cancel once the anniversary night hits, reapply, and get approved with the bonus offer, right? No need to wait for the post-24-month churn?
There is no guarantee Chase will approve your application. If you don't mind possibly being without an IHG card, then proceed as planned. Good luck.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
There is no guarantee Chase will approve your application. If you don't mind possibly being without an IHG card, then proceed as planned. Good luck.
And that is different from every other app, to every single financial institution, how?

But before I canceled and reapplied though, I would call the number on the back of the card, and ask why you didn't receive a sign up bonus, as if you just noticed that. If they look up your prior app, and tell you it didn't qualify for a sign up bonus because ..... then you can be more sure you really didn't get it, and didn't qualify for it. As of now, I'm wondering ( no offense meant, really) if maybe you just don't remember getting it. This is an important point, because Chase will issue a new card when someone doesn't qualify for a sign up bonus, and then refuse to give it to then. So it's very possible it's as you think. But it's a free call, so why not give that a try first.

If you didn't get a bonus then, yes of course apply for a new card. That's playing by the new rules that Chase has set up.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:45 pm
Suspended

The card always had a bonus -- you just had to spend $1,000 in the first 3 months, something that the poster failed to do or did and he forgot he received the bonus.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:22 pm

Does anyone know if i currently have the Mastercard version, can I apply for the Visa version and get approved?
Old May 8, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by pushthelimit
Does anyone know if i currently have the Mastercard version, can I apply for the Visa version and get approved?
Two responses:
  • This is discussed explicitly in the wiki above.
  • Where are you seeing a live Visa offer? I thought this card was now exclusively MC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.