Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ltmagnum
I have had the IHG card for about 3 years and believe it is one the best cards out there due to low fee but ability for free night each year. We used ours at Intercontinental Osaka this year for a room that is usually $470/night! Also, they did honor the plat status with a room upgrade.
Real reason I'm posting is to report the link posted on this thread is still good - My wife applied for the card last week and it just arrived. Confirmed when activating it that 80K points for $1K min spend in 3 mos.
Could you please specify which link and promo code(if applicable). There are several links in this thread. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by xdft
Could you please specify which link and promo code(if applicable). There are several links in this thread. Thanks!
There's only one valid 80K link, which you can find in the wiki at the top of this page. Please take a look at all the info in the wiki, which will probably answer other questions you have.

Also, welcome to FT!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Anyone who applied within the last couple of days wouldn't have even gotten the card yet, much less the bonus points. And Chase CSRs are sadly known to tell you yes you qualify at Recon, then a month or two later Chase mails you a notice that no, you don't actually qualify.

However, a number of posts above from folks who got the card, did the minimum spend, and have already gotten the bonus.
Mine is the way as well. Once I have it I will call to clarify about this 80K since my welcome email doesn't mention it
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ltmagnum
I have had the IHG card for about 3 years and believe it is one the best cards out there due to low fee but ability for free night each year. We used ours at Intercontinental Osaka this year for a room that is usually $470/night! Also, they did honor the plat status with a room upgrade.
Real reason I'm posting is to report the link posted on this thread is still good - My wife applied for the card last week and it just arrived. Confirmed when activating it that 80K points for $1K min spend in 3 mos.
Originally Posted by deemkaa
Seems like this card has even greater value in Europe where properties are nicer overall but also more expensive than in US
Osaka is in Japan where hotels are as expensive as in Europe and probably nicer than many IC locations in Europe, including Le Grand in Paris (Old, tiny room, above metro station so the first 2 floors can hear the rumble of the metro - personal experiences, stayed there 5 nights in 2 different rooms)

There are 3 ICs in Tokyo - all of them are very nice and not cheap at all. ICs in Asia generally are nice properties. ICs in Europe depends on cities. Some are very so so (IC Prague for example, IC London Park Lane is also underwhelmed).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:26 pm

Smile Just got approved!

I clicked on the link in the wiki and it was indeed the 80,000 point offer. I confirmed with rep after I was approved (by moving credit around). They also will expedite my card in two day delivery since I'll be leaving on a trip in a couple of weeks. But you have to ask! Normally, it takes 5-7 business days for delivery. Thanks, Flyertalk, for another great offer!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:25 pm

Is this better than the Marriott Visa that recently had a big bonus?

My travel needs in the near future would be Australia and Asia. Leaning towards this due to the very low annual fee. I'm just not too familiar with the chain aside from holiday inns which are cheap here in the USA. I held back on Marriott because I couldn't find many hotels but only did a brief search. Looking at Sydney around November. Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by sftravelninja
Is this better than the Marriott Visa that recently had a big bonus?

My travel needs in the near future would be Australia and Asia. Leaning towards this due to the very low annual fee. I'm just not too familiar with the chain aside from holiday inns which are cheap here in the USA. I held back on Marriott because I couldn't find many hotels but only did a brief search. Looking at Sydney around November. Thanks!
In my opinion - yes it is better. The annual certificate is for any IHG property in the world for a $49 fee. Marriott only gives you category 1-5 for an $85 fee. This card gives you platinum status, Marriott gives you silver. This card gives you 10% back on the points that you spend. Marriott doesn't.

IHG has more hotels in Australia than Marriott. You would have to check the different countries in Asia for those comparisons.

The chain also includes Intercontinental hotels, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo brands.

IHG is also running a good promo until the end of the year that could help with the trips next year (into the night).
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:49 pm

Guys - in usual circumstances, how long after one receives the card and completes the spend do you get the IHG free night?

Thx
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - in usual circumstances, how long after one receives the card and completes the spend do you get the IHG free night?

Thx
guess you couldn't read properly

There's only the annual free night (you get the first one after you own the card for 1 year)

Signup spend only gives you 60-80k points (not sure how long it takes to post, someone else can chime in)
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
guess you couldn't read properly

[...]

Signup spend only gives you 60-80k points (not sure how long it takes to post, someone else can chime in)
The wiki at the top of the page chimed in on this FAQ long ago.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by KathinJax
In my opinion - yes it is better. The annual certificate is for any IHG property in the world for a $49 fee. Marriott only gives you category 1-5 for an $85 fee. This card gives you platinum status, Marriott gives you silver. This card gives you 10% back on the points that you spend. Marriott doesn't.

IHG has more hotels in Australia than Marriott. You would have to check the different countries in Asia for those comparisons.

The chain also includes Intercontinental hotels, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo brands.

IHG is also running a good promo until the end of the year that could help with the trips next year (into the night).
Yeah makes sense. Sounds like a keeper card for sure.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:06 pm

Few data points. Just got accepted instantly for this card using wiki link. Confirmed 80k offer. Expedited shipping as well. Also my 6th Chase Card, 2nd in last two days. Credit score excellent.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by sftravelninja
Few data points. Just got accepted instantly for this card using wiki link. Confirmed 80k offer. Expedited shipping as well. Also my 6th Chase Card, 2nd in last two days. Credit score excellent.
2 personals or 1 biz/1personal?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:01 pm

I received my card today and the rep confirmed 80k bonus
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:37 pm

Is it worth switching to earning IHG points toward skymiles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.