Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by joytatee
I called Chase this morning and was told that I had too many cards with Chase (2 freedoms, Hyatt, Sapphire and Ink). They asked me if I am OK to have them move $5,000 from my Hyatt card to this new card.
You already have "too many cards", but they will give you another one anyway?

So they didn't ask you to close anything, just to move some credit to the new card? Then why the "too many cards" comment? Why just ask to move the credit and leave it at that? Or perhaps they were telling you 'one more, but that's the limit'?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:09 pm

As a datapoint. I applied and received the 60k offer with $50credit a few months ago. I just sent a sm and in exchange for the $50 got the additional 20k.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:59 pm

Jumped the mastercard version with 80k bonus points. Received the platinum rewards club card today and it says expire 2014. Will the platinum status only last till the end of this year???
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:04 pm

You'll get another card in the mail shortly with a new card saying expires 2015. They are only valid for one year, but the new one will come shortly! I got 2014 2015 and 2016 in a period of a week.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by waygora
You'll get another card in the mail shortly with a new card saying expires 2015. They are only valid for one year, but the new one will come shortly! I got 2014 2015 and 2016 in a period of a week.
Thanks. And if you close the card, you will lose the platinum status?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:08 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

So, I closed my card before it changed over to a MC. Today I log on to Chase.com and see that they have issued me a new MC with a new account number, on a closed account! Sheesh!

We've transferred your account details to your new credit card number ending in (...xxxx). This includes your balance and account activity. For each account, you'll see your transactions, statement details and payments posted to your new account. If you have not yet received your new card, your card will arrive shortly.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
So, I closed my card before it changed over to a MC. Today I log on to Chase.com and see that they have issued me a new MC with a new account number, on a closed account! Sheesh!

We've transferred your account details to your new credit card number ending in (...xxxx). This includes your balance and account activity. For each account, you'll see your transactions, statement details and payments posted to your new account. If you have not yet received your new card, your card will arrive shortly.

Same thing happened to me. I closed my IHG Visa on July 9. I just wrote a SM to Chase demanding they explain this. I got a letter about the conversion after I had closed the account, but this is different.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:12 pm

After sending an SM to Chase in regards to changing my account to MC after I had closed the account, here is their reply:

Since the letter was mailed to you and your account was
due to be changed to a MasterCard, the same was processed
even after your account was closed. I apologize for the
inconvenience this may have caused to you.

I have sent another SM asking for a corporate officer to escalate this to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would think the reason why Chase is legally obligated to inform customers of the conversion 45 days in advance is to give us a chance to opt out. Otherwise, there is no point. BTW, I cancelled on July 9, and the conversion was August 1. I did not receive the letter until July.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:54 pm

Does the 80k bonus points with MC version in the wiki also contains an Annual Free Night Cert? I got my card on June and 80k points as well, but did not receive the annual free night cert..
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by kasan08
Does the 80k bonus points with MC version in the wiki also contains an Annual Free Night Cert? I got my card on June and 80k points as well, but did not receive the annual free night cert..
Free night comes on your first anniversary, i.e. June 2015.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by beltway
If you used the 80K link above, there's no need to send Chase an SM. We've had multiple consistent reports from others that they received the 80K bonus after spending $1000 in the first 3 months. That said, there's no harm in SMing them to confirm the terms of the offer on your account.
I didn't call, met the spending requirement, my points just posted, 60,000 NOT 80,000.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:10 pm

Cancelled IHG Visa before it converted to MC, applied for MC through link in Wiki 80k posted today
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
Same thing happened to me. I closed my IHG Visa on July 9. I just wrote a SM to Chase demanding they explain this. I got a letter about the conversion after I had closed the account, but this is different.
After sending an SM to Chase in regards to changing my account to MC after I had closed the account, here is their reply:

Since the letter was mailed to you and your account was
due to be changed to a MasterCard, the same was processed
even after your account was closed. I apologize for the
inconvenience this may have caused to you.

I have sent another SM asking for a corporate officer to escalate this to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would think the reason why Chase is legally obligated to inform customers of the conversion 45 days in advance is to give us a chance to opt out. Otherwise, there is no point. BTW, I cancelled on July 9, and the conversion was August 1. I did not receive the letter until July.

Got another reply for this issue. It is a bit confusing. Here is the most important quote.

"You had the option which you chose, to close the account
by July 28, 2014 to opt out of the program."

This implies that even though I got messages saying the account was converted, and there is a new 4 digit card number on my online account, I was able to opt out in time. Weird.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Got another reply for this issue. It is a bit confusing. Here is the most important quote.

"You had the option which you chose, to close the account
by July 28, 2014 to opt out of the program."

This implies that even though I got messages saying the account was converted, and there is a new 4 digit card number on my online account, I was able to opt out in time. Weird.

I'm glad you posted your update. I too, got an odd email "explaining" it to me. I've just sent another SM. My new card was issued after my account was cancelled, so who knows what that actually means to me, in terms of reapplying for the card. I might just wait the 24 months + that Chase seems to view as the appropriate length of time before issuing another card.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I might just wait the 24 months + that Chase seems to view as the appropriate length of time before issuing another card.
That 24 months refers to the time lag after receiving a bonus. If you had the old card for more than 2 years, and didn't get any bonus for the converted card, you have already met the 24 month requirement.

What I have asked several places, and have not received a reply to, is: what sort of time frame Chase is requiring between canceling a card and reapplying?

Probably no answers because so far no one really knows...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.