Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 16, 16, 12:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 13, 14, 2:23 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Data point:
Applied for MC while already holding the Visa version. Declined due to 1 per product type.
You can not hold MC and VS version of the same card: Confirmed
Old Mar 13, 14, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by johnnie198x View Post
Data point:
Applied for MC while already holding the Visa version. Declined due to 1 per product type.
You can not hold MC and VS version of the same card: Confirmed
How long have you held the VS? Was your credit pulled?
Old Mar 13, 14, 8:36 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Same for my Wife

Denied without credit pull because she holds the old version Visa and has had it for years. It is a hard one to cancel with the $49 renewal and free night cert.
Old Mar 15, 14, 7:20 pm

So anyone had luck in canceling their Visa and then applying for the Mastercard and getting the bonus?
Old Mar 16, 14, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by cyclotron View Post
So anyone had luck in canceling their Visa and then applying for the Mastercard and getting the bonus?
It's a little early for definitive answers, given that the MC appeared about a week ago & Chase doesn't post bonuses (or send ding letters) until statement close date.
Old Mar 16, 14, 11:50 am

Any more word about whether Visa cardholders will be sent replacement MasterCards? In the View from the Wing post, in one comment they say a Chase rep card said Visa holders would be sent the MC starting around March 26.
Old Mar 16, 14, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
Any more word about whether Visa cardholders will be sent replacement MasterCards? In the View from the Wing post, in one comment they say a Chase rep card said Visa holders would be sent the MC starting around March 26.

For whatever it is worth, I applied on March 11th and just received my Visa card in the mail. While I guess they could still re-issue the MC, it seems silly for them to issue me a Visa then immediately cancel it and send a MC.

When I contacted Chase via SM a few months ago regarding my CSP MC being converted to Visa, I was told that I would be notified beforehand.

There are differences in card benefits between MC and Visa. From a legal point of view, they have to notify you before changing the terms of the card. Based on that, I believe some type of notification would go out beforehand.
Old Mar 16, 14, 8:31 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
A couple people have already been told it is NOT a different product, and were denied with no hard pull being made. Just read up thread a page or so.
Old Mar 16, 14, 11:11 pm

Can I use my IHG Membership Number on my partner's application to aggregate the points.
Old Mar 17, 14, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by onthego15 View Post
A couple people have already been told it is NOT a different product, and were denied with no hard pull being made. Just read up thread a page or so.
That's not correct. We have a report of someone who hadn't closed the Visa being turned down for the new MC. The fact that Chase won't let you hold both the Visa & MC versions of a card simultaneously doesn't mean you can't earn sequential bonuses.
Old Mar 17, 14, 7:05 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
Can I use my IHG Membership Number on my partner's application to aggregate the points.
No
Old Mar 17, 14, 1:38 pm

I'm thinking about going into the Chase branch here to see what they can offer me? Has anyone tried this path? Also the application link that doesn't say what the offer is or whether its a visa or mc.. should I even try to use that link at this point? Newcomer so any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 14, 1:52 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
... why would Chase offer a MC version when it is reportedly going to be a 100% Visa shop?
IHG made a worldwide deal with MasterCard, and announced in January 2013 that the USA card would become a MasterCard. Previous discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...astercard.html

SPECULATUON: It could be that Chase is migrating other cards from MasterCard to VISA to offset the migration of IHG cards in the opposite direction.
Old Mar 17, 14, 9:02 pm

Just signed up using the VISA link in the OP. Got the following message:
CONGRATULATIONS!

Your application for the Visaź card has been approved.

Name: Censored
Bank Ref Number: Censored

Your should receive your card(s) and complete account information in the mail within the next two weeks.

Start using your card right away. Remember you earn points with every purchase you make.

Anyone have an idea as to how I can ensure whether I got 60K points or 80K points?

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 14, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier View Post
Anyone have an idea as to how I can ensure whether I got 60K points or 80K points?

Thanks
Either call and ask, wait till your card gets here to ask when you activate, or send a SM online.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: