Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unsolicited check from Chase for $160+ "Rewards Error Refund"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I received an unexpected check from Chase for $160. "...a refund for a rewards error that happened before your Chase credit card account was closed." I called the Chase customer service number and she verified that it was legitimate and not some promo with fine print. Due to some error between Feb 2011 and Oct 2013. She couldn't tell what card it was, but I churned several during that period.

Anyone else?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:21 pm

I received an unsolicited check in the mail today for $160 from Chase. The attached letter says that "We found that you're due for a refund for a rewards error that happened before your Chase credit card account was closed."

I called the 800 number on the letter. The rep was aware of what I was talking about but didn't have much information beyond what was in the letter. She claimed that Chase had done an audit of closed accounts and either they charged me too much interest (not possible -- I don't carry CC balances) or they had shorted me rewards points of some kind. When I asked for details -- e.g. WHICH closed card this came from -- she said that information had been purged from her computer. Only suggestion was for me to write "Customer Correspondence" at a Delaware snail mail address.

I don't like the idea of cashing this check without knowing how the amount was calculated and despite the absurdity of having to send a letter through the US Mail to get more information, I'm going to do so.

Anyone else get a check or encountered anything like this before?

Originally Posted by jc719
I received an unexpected check from Chase for $160. "...a refund for a rewards error that happened before your Chase credit card account was closed." I called the Chase customer service number and she verified that it was legitimate and not some promo with fine print. Due to some error between Feb 2011 and Oct 2013. She couldn't tell what card it was, but I churned several during that period.

Anyone else?
Your rep knew more than mine did. I'm a fairly light churner compared to many and am pretty sure I know which Chase cards I had open during that time frame -- I had a Continental Master Card and a Priority Club Visa for sure, and possibly a United Visa too (I applied right around October 2013).

Fascinating that we received exactly the same amount?

Last edited by philemer; Mar 13, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

I also had PC & CO. It was around the time UA & CO were merging and an opportunity for several signup bonuses as the card branding changed. My spouse got the UA & CO cards in parallel with me but didn't receive a Chase check, at least as of today.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:13 am

I also received a check, but mine was for $322.50. When I called, the woman told me they received a lot of calls about it and like you others, she said it was legit, however, since I called the number on the letter that came with the check, that's not reassuring. I'm going to go to the bank directly and cash it to see what the deal is. She told me most of the checks were around $200, but like everyone else, couldn't tell me which account it was. When I gave her the last 4 digits of the account I thought it was, she told me she could see I transferred my reward points when I closed it (that was true and gave me more faith this is legit) but said there were no "notes" in that account so she did not think that was the one. She did say that an audit revealed the error, which is similar to what someone else had said.

I did previously have a United Chase card, however, I rarely used it and I am sure the miles (it wasn't a cash rewards card) were in my UA account before I closed the account.

I would love to know if anyone has had any luck determining where this came from. Found money is always nice!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:00 am

Received $160 also. I do remember requesting and being denied a match to a higher offer on a CO card, so am wondering if that could be it.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Hedging against a possible Class A maybe? I am sure they would rather stay out of the news with the Wall Street disdain out there.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Hedging against a possible Class A maybe? I am sure they would rather stay out of the news with the Wall Street disdain out there.
How would they keep something that big a secret? I thought legally they had to put up a notice? I see many different smaller class actions via google search.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DarcyMae
I don't like the idea of cashing this check without knowing how the amount was calculated and despite the absurdity of having to send a letter through the US Mail to get more information, I'm going to do so.
Would you prefer they hadn't sent you any money?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:46 pm

Unhappy I received a check too

Like everyone else, I called the toll free number on the letter accompanying the check and the woman seemed to be well aware of checks going out and she confirmed what was in the letter. I still felt uneasy about it. The check is for $500.00. I sent a secure message to Chase via my online account and they said they had no record of sending me a check and that I would have had prior notification if they were going to do that. So, it must be a scam. To what end, I have no idea. The check looks absolutely legit. I have no idea who would have done such a thing and hearing that you guys have experienced it too makes me even more curious!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:08 pm

Update?

Any updates on these checks?

I got one in the mail today for much less than the other amounts posted here.

I closed the account quite a while ago and had not used it since late 2013. And yet, I just now got one of these mysterious "refund checks."

Did anyone find out any info?

*Mine didn't say it was was for a "rewards error" - instead it says it's a "refund for a transaction" but it is a CO/UA card.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:21 pm

For the sake of data points, have any of you had your Chase card# stolen in the past 12 or so months, or even better, recently?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:51 am

Chase refund

I also received a check for "a refund for a transaction that happened before your Chase account was closed". I called the number on the website thinking that the number in the letter was a scam but the woman on the phone told me it was legit but as with others she could not tell me which account it was for, what the transaction was, or when it happened. I closed my chase account well over a year ago and I know it had a zero balance on it. Now I get a check for over $500 and they can't explain it. I called the number on the letter and was told the same thing. It's legit and go ahead and cash it and he couldn't tell me anymore. I wonder if it's a payoff for something they are afraid of getting caught for.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerseyjim119
I also received a check for "a refund for a transaction that happened before your Chase account was closed". I called the number on the website thinking that the number in the letter was a scam but the woman on the phone told me it was legit but as with others she could not tell me which account it was for, what the transaction was, or when it happened. I closed my chase account well over a year ago and I know it had a zero balance on it. Now I get a check for over $500 and they can't explain it. I called the number on the letter and was told the same thing. It's legit and go ahead and cash it and he couldn't tell me anymore. I wonder if it's a payoff for something they are afraid of getting caught for.
Did you cash it?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:49 am

Not yet
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:37 am
Suspended

For those who haven't cashed the checks: Don't most corporate checks expire 90 days from date of issuance? Are you risking not getting the cash if you don't deposit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.