Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom + Sapphire Preferred + Chase Checking Questions

Old Sep 20, 11, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

I already have the Sapphire Preferred, and was just approved for the Freedom card. Also, I am about to open a checking account with Chase to take advantage of the 10 points/transaction deal. Couple of questions:

1. If I add an additional card (authorized user) to my Freedom, will their purchases translate to points in my UR account? Also, will their purchases be eligible for the 10 points/transaction since it's linked to my account and I'll have a Chase checking account?

2. On the online application for a checking account, it asks me to make a deposit ($100 required I believe) from a credit card or another bank account. If I choose credit card, will it be treated as a purchase or a cash advance?

3. A requirement of the checking account is to have a $500 direct deposit monthly to avoid any fees. Can I do a $500 direct deposit, then a couple of days later transfer that $500 to my main bank account without any fees?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20, 11, 2:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
1. Yes, two cards, but one account. They both earn the same.

2. Depends on the card. It may well go through as a cash advance at Chase.

3. Yes.

You may want to know that having a Chase business checking account and meeting a requirement to waive that fee each month (like spending $1000 on your Chase business credit card...United, Southwest, ect) would also waive the fee on your personal account.
Old Sep 20, 11, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Do all cards on the account share the same credit line?
Old Sep 20, 11, 6:40 pm

I just got the Chase Freedom card and opened a Chase Total Checking account (and the two accounts are linked). Is the extra 10 points/transaction an automatic thing or is that something that I have to be targeted for or enroll in? I asked the CSR but she didn't know what I was talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21, 11, 3:01 pm

Chase Sapphire posted 50K points after first purchase

Hey did this happen to anyone else?

I've been busy charging everything to my new Chase Sapphire in order to meet the $30K spend in first 90 days to get the 50K points. But then I just looked at my online Sapphire statement and it says the 50K points were awarded after my first purchase! Guess I didn't need all that spend after all. Oh well, it is just more Sapphire points I can transfer...
Old Sep 23, 11, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quincyc View Post
I just got the Chase Freedom card and opened a Chase Total Checking account (and the two accounts are linked). Is the extra 10 points/transaction an automatic thing or is that something that I have to be targeted for or enroll in? I asked the CSR but she didn't know what I was talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Automatically. Chase system goes by SSN on everything. So your checking would automatically linked to the Freedom. The 10 pt per transaction as well as 10% on total earning are automatically posted in their own categories.

You will see the categories of points on your statement.
Old Sep 24, 11, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by j-rad View Post
I already have the Sapphire Preferred, and was just approved for the Freedom card. Also, I am about to open a checking account with Chase to take advantage of the 10 points/transaction deal. Couple of questions:

1. If I add an additional card (authorized user) to my Freedom, will their purchases translate to points in my UR account? Also, will their purchases be eligible for the 10 points/transaction since it's linked to my account and I'll have a Chase checking account?

2. On the online application for a checking account, it asks me to make a deposit ($100 required I believe) from a credit card or another bank account. If I choose credit card, will it be treated as a purchase or a cash advance?

3. A requirement of the checking account is to have a $500 direct deposit monthly to avoid any fees. Can I do a $500 direct deposit, then a couple of days later transfer that $500 to my main bank account without any fees?

Thanks in advance.
What time frame did you get the Preferred card and then the Freedom? I just got my Preferred on the 12th of this month and I got a pre-approved offer of the Freedom and I want to take advantage of this combo since I have a checking account with Chase also.
Old Sep 25, 11, 7:12 am

If you have a Chase checking account then add the Freedom afterward you're automatically awarded the 10/10 bonus. If you have the Freedom then add the checking later, it will convert into a 10/10 but may not track correctly for the first 30-60 days.

Direct Deposit is the sum of $500, so if you split your direct deposit you can have it $250 every 2 weeks if you get paid. If you do it in one shot you can ACH it back out after it posts.

All points earned on the Freedom (yourself and any AU) will pool into one pool of UR points. All points on the Sapphire will go to another Rewards program. You can combine the points together.

The way that I use mine is

Freedom
-All 5% categories
-All dining purchases under $10
-All purchases where I don't need any extra level of protection (groceries, gas, etc)

Sapphire Preferred
-All dining over $10 (since $10 on Freedom would be 10 points + 10 points for the purchase + 1 points for the 10%)
-All purchases that I want the extra protection (electronics, clothing, etc)
-All travel expenses
-All purchaeses made through the Ultimate Rewards Mall (since purchases made through the mall don't qualify for the 10/10 bonus).

Though eventually to simplify mine and my wife's lives I may just use the Sapphire Preferred for everything and stop juggling cards around.
Old Sep 25, 11, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jpark1982 View Post
Direct Deposit is the sum of $500, so if you split your direct deposit you can have it $250 every 2 weeks if you get paid. If you do it in one shot you can ACH it back out after it posts.
Actually, this is the quote from the account rules and regulations:
"You must have at least one monthly direct deposit of $500 or more made to this account. Two or more smaller direct deposits that add up to $500 or more do not qualify."

Trust me, I tried . I get paid every 2 weeks, so it would have been nice to just deposit $250 each time, but instead I have to do $500 each time. I do ACH it out afterwards, though, and never had any problems.
Old Sep 26, 11, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by txrose86 View Post
Actually, this is the quote from the account rules and regulations:
"You must have at least one monthly direct deposit of $500 or more made to this account. Two or more smaller direct deposits that add up to $500 or more do not qualify."

Trust me, I tried . I get paid every 2 weeks, so it would have been nice to just deposit $250 each time, but instead I have to do $500 each time. I do ACH it out afterwards, though, and never had any problems.
The T&C havr changed. Cumulative works. Verify with your bank if you need. Statement periods after 8/24 have a cumulative statement qualifier of $500 to waive the fee. It doesnt even have to be from the same source. From two people, two companies. Doesnt matter.
Old Sep 26, 11, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jpark1982 View Post
The T&C havr changed. Cumulative works. Verify with your bank if you need. Statement periods after 8/24 have a cumulative statement qualifier of $500 to waive the fee. It doesnt even have to be from the same source. From two people, two companies. Doesnt matter.
I take it back. Just looked at my most recent statement and it does say that. I just pulled the T&C online yesterday. Guess they haven't updated them yet. Thanks for the update! Off to change my direct deposit settings.
Old Sep 26, 11, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question about the ACH out - do you mean initiate the ACH out from Chase side?

I thought Chase charges on ACH out from its side?

I know if being pulled, there is no fee. However if it Chase pushes, it carries a fee at least that is how I read it in the past.

Can we have some clarification here?
Old Sep 26, 11, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Question about the ACH out - do you mean initiate the ACH out from Chase side?

I thought Chase charges on ACH out from its side?

I know if being pulled, there is no fee. However if it Chase pushes, it carries a fee at least that is how I read it in the past.

Can we have some clarification here?
I have it pulled/initiated from another account, so I've never been charged a fee. I've never done it where Chase initiated the ACH out.
Old Sep 27, 11, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I stumbled across this thread because I'm looking to possibly replace my chase freedom card. I've had it for years and just this month they converted me to the "new" system of 5% on select categories. Previously I was getting the 3% on gas & grocery (and maybe the 5% as well?). Anyway, the big reason I loved it was the ability to get a $250 check for $200 in cashback rewards. It seems that as of this month, they've finally taken that option away from me.

What is this thing about 10 points if you have chase freedom + chase checking? I just opened a chase checking account last month in order to get a $200 bonus deposit. I was planning on closing it after the 6 month waiting period, but if I'm getting extra points per purchase on my chase freedom, that may change things. How does it work?
Old Sep 27, 11, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by azeckel View Post
What is this thing about 10 points if you have chase freedom + chase checking? I just opened a chase checking account last month in order to get a $200 bonus deposit. I was planning on closing it after the 6 month waiting period, but if I'm getting extra points per purchase on my chase freedom, that may change things. How does it work?
Read this: http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/huge...g-combination/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: