Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
The revised July 23, 2014 CSP Guide to Benefits (BGC10374) may be found at this landing page (or directly at this location).

The CSP program rules/agreement (as of 7/24/14; RPC0444_0477) may be found at this landing page or directly at this location.

Changes to U.R. program recently announced. See post #1314.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by leonard016
So if you do this regularly you may essentially double your point earning
I believe Happy is reporting that the Expedia credit resulted in a debit to her Ultimate Rewards earnings including a clawback of the Mall bonus:

...returned merchandises or canceled flights would result a credit that offset your current charges, regular points and bonus alike.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I believe Happy is reporting that the Expedia credit resulted in a debit to her Ultimate Rewards earnings including a clawback of the Mall bonus:
Yes, this is what happens. You will not come out on top trying to buy refundable travel items with this card.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
Yes, this is what happens. You will not come out on top trying to buy refundable travel items with this card.
That is not necessarily the outcome. It is possible to cancel flight tickets and still retain the reward miles. It happened on one of my Chase cards. Without going into too many details, I cancelled the ticket and the refund occurred in a month in which I had no other purchases on the card, so there was no amount to offset. I waited until the account closed for the month, and asked Chase to send me a check for the credit amount in my account (the amount of the ticket refund), which they promptly did. Subsequent purchases on the card earned reward miles, with no offset.

By the way, I did not set out with the intent to achieve this result, and I am not recommending this scheme. But for someone worried about losing their minimum spend amount, there are other outcomes.

Last edited by Steve in Olympia; Jan 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joediver
So you are prepaying for the rooms and letting Expedia hold you money for two months and then canceling for the refund? Sounds like too much work and I don't think I want to loan Expedia my money for two months
I booked the room I needed but travel plan changed so I had to cancel the room. It was a good rate better than the non-refundable rate on hotel's own website. Personally I try to book fully refundable hotel rooms whenever I can because my travel plans often change. What is the big deal to have prepaid couple hundreds for a room with a good rate, but was fully cancellable should I need it? I guess I fail to understand your logic - probably because it had never occurred to me how some folks may think this could earn them some extra points...

I dont even know how Chase would account for the refund and the extra bonus point until it shows up the way it shows up - since someone asked about refundable tickets, I thought I might share the data point on how Chase handles refunded items.

To be honest, I am rather impressed by the way Chase has done it.
Equally to be honest, I am quite surprised and put off by some of you folks who always in the mode of scramble / scam for miles / points, and then assume everyone behaves like you...

Last edited by Happy; Jan 13, 2012 at 10:23 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leonard016
So if you do this regularly you may essentially double your point earning on general spending.

Assuming you charge, say $3K on non-bonus general spending and $1K on 2x categories per month. Then what you need to do is book hotels (no matter through hotel sites or 3rd party sites) up to $3K every month, and cancel hotel bookings later on.

Of course if you practice this on the regular basis, you account will be shut down. But once a while to get some extra points it shall be fine
What the heck you talk about?

Chase not only takes back the regular points earned, but ALSO the extra bonus point. Have you actually read what my post said? You will NOT get any extra points. Both the previously earned and bonus points are crawled back when an item is returned for credit.

I merely report back the way Chase handles refunded items since someone is thinking about using refundable tickets to meet the spend requirement. Apparently somehow due to existing mind-set or prejudice, some folks simply totally miss what the post said - which clearly said that both the earned and bonus points are taken back.

Besides, the hotel room I booked with Expedia was a room I needed. Travel plan changed so I ended up having a cancellation. Not everyone is like you who would always think about how to skim / scam whichever way you could to "earn" miles / points.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by Happy
I booked the room I needed but travel plan changed so I had to cancel the room. I dont even know how Chase would account for the refund and the extra bonus point until it shows up the way it shows up - to be honest, I am rather impressed by the way Chase has done it.

I am afraid not everyone is like you who try to skim / scam everyway you could to get miles or points.
Where does skimming and scamming come from? I simply did not understand what you were trying to say. Apparently I'm not the only one who didn't understand and I guess we all must be skim / scammers
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you are prepaying for the rooms and letting Expedia hold you money for two months and then canceling for the refund? Sounds like too much work and I don't think I want to loan Expedia my money for two months
Where does skimming and scamming come from? I simply did not understand what you were trying to say.
Isn't that your previous post about my cancellation of Expedia booking?

I read it as you mean I purposely booked hotel rooms then cancel it 2 months later so just to get some points...

People do have travel plans and sometimes travel plans can change. What is wrong or "too much work" to book a fully refundable prepaid stay with Expedia / Travelocity / Orbitz / whoever which often has far better rates than even the nonrefundable rates on hotels' own websites? What is the big deal to "let Expedia hold my couple hundred dollar" while I can save almost $100 dollars without any risk? Unless your cash flow is so tight that you could not spare a couple hundred $ to save $100 dollar... then you lose out because that is 30% saving - a $300 booking can be had with only $200 fully refundable prepaid, as an illustration. Or may be you are math-challenged that you could not see the point other than the notion that you have to let "Expedia hold your money for couple months".
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Isn't that your previous post about my cancellation of Expedia booking?

I read it as you mean I purposely booked hotel rooms then cancel it 2 months later so just to get some points...

People do have travel plans and sometimes travel plans can change. What is wrong or "too much work" to book a fully refundable prepaid stay with Expedia / Travelocity / Orbitz / whoever which often has far better rates than even the nonrefundable rates on hotels' own websites? What is the big deal to "let Expedia hold my couple hundred dollar" while I can save almost $100 dollars without any risk? Unless your cash flow is so tight that you could not spare a couple hundred $ to save $100 dollar... then you lose out because that is 30% saving - a $300 booking can be had with only $200 fully refundable prepaid, as an illustration. Or may be you are math-challenged that you could not see the point other than the notion that you have to let "Expedia hold your money for couple months".
You are getting way too worked up about this. People (myself included) simply did not understand your post. Calling others "scammers" without any support really isn't necessary. Enough said....we're off topic. You are right and I am wrong. Does that make you "Happy"
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Question UR Mall vs. Chase Travel

Apologies if this has been asked before - what is the best way to earn UR points from flight bookings - is it by
(a) booking tickets through Chase's own "Travel" planner section of the UR site or
(b) going through a partner like Hotwire/Travelocity where the UR Mall offers 2 extra points per $?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by santhosh.kharvi
Apologies if this has been asked before - what is the best way to earn UR points from flight bookings - is it by
(a) booking tickets through Chase's own "Travel" planner section of the UR site or
(b) going through a partner like Hotwire/Travelocity where the UR Mall offers 2 extra points per $?

Thanks in advance!
B
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:59 pm

Using the UR travel site only gets you 1 extra point. I'm really kind of surprised they offer the other travel sites and give you more points to use them
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:02 pm

Using the UR travel site only gets you 1 extra point. I'm really kind of surprised they offer the other travel sites and give you more points to use them
Yeah, me too.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:10 pm

Just remember if you use Hotwire for the hotel many chains will not give you their own reward points. Travelocity would probably a better alternative
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I misunderstood what you were saying in the previous post. That is it. Never did I thought or suggested that you did the Expedia hotel on purpose. I just thought you might have happened to find a loophole in their system. But don't you think it is too much to call me a skimmer or scammer? Hey I was just discussing a potential (well non-existent) loophole.

Besides, the hotel room I booked with Expedia was a room I needed. Travel plan changed so I ended up having a cancellation. Not everyone is like you who would always think about how to skim / scam whichever way you could to "earn" miles / points.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by keirnna
Right, which is what I was planning to do, but I've read numerous reports that you can only get a Sapphire bonus once either regular or preferred, or something along the lines of the 50,000 UR points for the Sapphire Preferred are for first time Sapphire cardholder's only. Obviously I don't feel my mother should be excluded as she hasn't received any bonus whatsoever. I didn't even know she had this card and was going to trade points for cash!

I just don't want her to apply, be approved and then not get the bonus because she won't be willing to argue for it like I am. I can't find the above wording anywhere in the T&C, but I might not be looking in the right place. Thanks in advance.
Unless you get a real Bxxxtchy CSR after giving her info to the recon line she can authorize you to speak on her behalf. Since you are better versed in the process you can make your case to Chase for her.

I do this all the time for my wife .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.