The New United Explorer card

Old Jul 18, 11, 6:49 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
The New United Explorer card

http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPConsumer40kAFW.aspx

And you'll see ads here on FT. I'm disappointed with the $25k spend to earn the last 10k of the 40k sign up bonus

First year fee waived. UA miles never expire if you have this card. Two club passes annually.

the Chase Sapphire Preferred card is a much better offer in my mind with 50k sign up and no foreign transaction fees.

And the terms and conditions say this NEW card will not earn a signup bonus if you have had a previous United card. that doesn't sound like a NEW card to me.

Let's hope they rethink this one soon
Old Jul 18, 11, 6:54 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
so is the continetal one pass card done then?

hmm..this offer is similar to the old united chase card....still i'm tempted..might wait a while.
Old Jul 18, 11, 6:56 pm

Earn up to 40,000 bonus miles*
Earn 25,000 bonus miles after first use and 5,000 additional bonus miles after your first Card use and for adding an authorized user within two months of opening your account. Plus, earn 10,000 bonus miles when you spend $25,000 or more on your Card each calendar year.
Your first year is free†
Pay no annual fee for the first year you are a Cardmember, a $95 value.
Check your first bag for free*
As a Cardmember, you and your companion can each check your first bag for free when you fly United and Continental-operated flights, up to a $50 savings per person round trip.
Enjoy priority boarding privileges*
You'll be invited to board your flight ahead of general boarding with priority boarding

25,000 Bonus Miles:
With this bonus offer you will receive 25,000 bonus miles. You will qualify and receive your bonus after your first use of the card. First use includes using your account for purchases, balance transfers, or any checks that are used to access your account; cash advances are not included. After qualifying, please allow 6–8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time United Airlines personal cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Airlines personal cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.

5,000 Bonus Miles:
With this bonus offer you will receive 5,000 bonus miles. To qualify and receive your bonus, your first use of the card and addition of an authorized user to your account must both occur during the first 2 months from account opening. First use includes using your account for purchases, balance transfers, or any checks that are used to access your account; cash advances are not included. After qualifying, please allow 6–8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time United Airlines personal cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Airlines personal cardmembers/ accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer. Additional cards and all cardmember communications will be mailed to the primary cardmember, who is responsible for all charges made by the authorized users. Reference to the account may appear on the authorized users' credit reports.

Free Checked Bag:
Free bag is for first checked bag for up to two people per reservation. Fees for additional/oversized/overweight bags will apply. Purchase of ticket(s) with MileagePlus® Explorer Card required. See www.united.com/chasebag for details.

Priority Boarding:
MileagePlus Explorer Card members will be granted boarding access to the plane after the boarding of Special Needs passengers, elites and those with Premier Access designations, but before General Boarding of the remaining passengers. Benefits apply to the primary cardmember on the credit card account and anyone traveling on the same reservation. Benefits are available as long as the credit card account is open and not in default.Upon cancellation of the credit card account, all benefits will be cancelled. Chase Bank USA, N.A. is not responsible for the provision of or failure to provide the stated benefits.

Two United Club Passes:
Please allow 6 – 8 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year for delivery. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Valid when presented at any United Club location. Each pass is valid for one (1) guest for one (1) visit. United Club representatives will retain this certificate. No cash value. Cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All United Club membership guidelines apply. Chase Bank USA, N.A. is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu View Post
Two United Club Passes:
To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Valid when presented at any United Club location. Each pass is valid for one (1) guest for one (1) visit.
Does this mean you do not get the passes until your 1 year anniversery?

Overall, nowhere near the deal I was expecting. C'mon Chase...make this a NEW card and up the ante.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:06 pm
xp0

Yeah pretty bad card. I was hoping for something good...
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound View Post
Does this mean you do not get the passes until your 1 year anniversery?

Overall, nowhere near the deal I was expecting. C'mon Chase...make this a NEW card and up the ante.
yeah after you pay for the year you'll get the passes
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Two United Club Passes:
Please allow 6 – 8 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year for delivery. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.

Gotta keep your card open for 12 to 14 months, just like the CO card. I'm guessing you could then cancel & get a prorated refund of the annual fee.

Not the "great" offer I was hoping for but not bad. I wonder if they will deny me as a previous cardholder since it's a NEW card?
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by ingy View Post
http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPConsumer40kAFW.aspx

And the terms and conditions say this NEW card will not earn a signup bonus if you have had a previous United card. that doesn't sound like a NEW card to me.
this in the terms?

If applicable, Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:16 pm
MSF

Programs: CO *G, PC Gold, Hilton Gold
The current OP+ card is MC and the new Explorer is Visa. What if we don't want to transition to Visa?
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
This is a letdown. No offense ingy, but I wish you hadn't built suspense around these products. With the exception of southwest, these deals are pretty much a bust.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL FO
It seems the mega-bonuses are taking a break. This offer is just not very good. I was hoping that one of the two card offers this week would be better than the sapphire that I have yet to apply for. Neither is in my opinion.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by TTBHG View Post
It seems the mega-bonuses are taking a break. This offer is just not very good. I was hoping that one of the two card offers this week would be better than the sapphire that I have yet to apply for. Neither is in my opinion.
although not a super good deal..it is better then the non targeted united visa that was around..basically same sign up bonus but this one has the priority seating...and extra 10k
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by bitachu View Post
although not a super good deal..it is better then the non targeted united visa that was around..basically same sign up bonus but this one has the priority seating...and extra 10k
At a cost of 25k in spending. Again, in my opinion, neither of the deals this week have been great considering past offers. They might be great for others and that is the beauty of this game.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Bummer. I just applied for the 50K UA Visa instead.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher View Post
Bummer. I just applied for the 50K UA Visa instead.
man i wish I could get that 50k UA visa

Search this Thread