Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by jake66
Why do so many of the ads for this card say it is good for two free flights after first purchase? 50,000 would be good for two round-trips on some other mileage programs, but on Southwest it entirely depends on the cost of the tickets.
Exactly correct Jake. It notes that in the fine print. Example: I got both the personal and biz cards and plan on getting the CP. That means my 100k signup bonus can get stretched to 10+ RT tickets.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:21 am

Thumbs up

will be re posting the apply link for those who might not want to scroll through all these reading pages and it gets lost.

LINK HERE

Last edited by philemer; Nov 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm Reason: updated link
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by maanfi24
Exactly correct Jake. It notes that in the fine print. Example: I got both the personal and biz cards and plan on getting the CP. That means my 100k signup bonus can get stretched to 10+ RT tickets.
Easily! When SW offers their $35 one-way fares, you can stretch this out to nearly 12 RT flights with only 50,000 points!! Also don't forget to factor in some additional savings on taxes, as reward bookings only require $2.50/segment for 9/11 security fees.

Another huge benefit of redeeming points is that if you cancel your reservation, the points go right back into your account! This is true even if you book a flight for someone else using your points. If you paid for your tickets on a Wanna Get Away fare, you would not get a refund. Instead, you can redeem the value of cancelled reservations for future travel ONLY UNDER THE ORIGINAL PERSON'S NAME within one year of the original ticket purchase.

So these points can be very valuable if you have an airport with decent Southwest flight options near by.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:33 am

I am not sure what to do here, and could use some advice.

I already had 50k qualifying miles for getting my first card a few months ago, JUST got approved for my second. I realize it might make more sense to try and float these 50k points into the new year and then somehow try and get another card down the road in 2012, but I see 3 50k SWA cards as unlikely from Chase.

So at this point my only choice is probably find a way to get another quick 10k points in 2011 and hope I can at least get 12 months out of the companion pass. Any ways I can do that without flying?

Had I read closer about how CP is good the entire earned year AND following year I'd have done this a lot differently. But being so close I don't at least want to miss out for 2012.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by artieshay
will be re posting the apply link for those who might not want to scroll through all these reading pages and it gets lost.

LINK HERE
It is already posted on the credit card deal thread, so it's easy to find.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:42 am

re

Originally Posted by BBDDPP
I am not sure what to do here, and could use some advice.

I already had 50k qualifying miles for getting my first card a few months ago, JUST got approved for my second. I realize it might make more sense to try and float these 50k points into the new year and then somehow try and get another card down the road in 2012, but I see 3 50k SWA cards as unlikely from Chase.

So at this point my only choice is probably find a way to get another quick 10k points in 2011 and hope I can at least get 12 months out of the companion pass. Any ways I can do that without flying?

Had I read closer about how CP is good the entire earned year AND following year I'd have done this a lot differently. But being so close I don't at least want to miss out for 2012.
getting 3 bonuses from chase is unlikely...the only reason you get 2 is because business and personal are considered seperate products. Chase won't let you get the same bonus, I tried for 3 years after I closed my contintntal card...was told no way.

Your best option is to get to the 110k level....it has been noted that transferring hotel points like choice rewards counts toward the total. Check if any of your hotel programs transfer and get it done before the end of the year....you could buy the nessesary points to transfer if nessesary, getting the companion pass should justify the cost.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Should I wait until Jan 1st to do first spend?

Just got approved 2 weeks back for the 50K with first spend Southwest Chase card, and arrived in mail last week.

I haven't activated yet, as I've read in a few threads to better wait until January for the first spend, so as to trigger the 50K bonus early 2012, and then maybe go for the business card, to get companion pass, which would then be good for rest of 2012, until 2013 end.

Any feedback if I'm on the right track, and do I risk losing the initial 50K first spend bonus altogether, if I wait until January to do the spend?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Just spent my 100,000 points on 5 RT tickets. Each segment was 10,400 RR, so I had to buy 2000 points. The WGA fare for the tickets was $386 RT each ($1932 total).

Subtracting the annual fees, the security charges, and the top-off point purchase, my net was $1720. Very pleased.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:42 am

1 RR # for 2 people?

Sorry if this is a dumb question and/or was answered already...can 2 different SW cards be linked to 1 RR account? i.e., come January could my mom and I both link new SW plus cards to my RR account giving me 100k miles towards the CP?

TIA

Last edited by arjun312; Nov 9, 2011 at 11:23 am
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, DL
I applied for the Biz Plus version of the card on Sunday. They gave me the standard we'll let you know within 10 days response (which I got on the Personal Premiere card this summer). I'm in a time crunch to get enough points before the end of the year. Is there a number I can call to find out sooner whether or not I've been approved? Should I call the reconsideration line?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:41 pm

no

Originally Posted by arjun312
Sorry if this is a dumb question and/or was answered already...can 2 different SW cards be linked to 1 RR account? i.e., come January could my mom and I both link new SW plus cards to my RR account giving me 100k miles towards the CP?

TIA
no, one account per person.

PeterAmling, you can call customer service and ask to be transferred to the business department to find out the status of your application...they should do it no problem.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Should I wait until Jan 1st to do first spend?

Just got approved 2 weeks back for the 50K with first spend Southwest Chase card, and arrived in mail last week.

I haven't activated yet, as I've read in a few threads to better wait until January for the first spend, so as to trigger the 50K bonus early 2012, and then maybe go for the business card, to get companion pass, which would then be good for rest of 2012, until 2013 end.

Any feedback if I'm on the right track, and do I risk losing the initial 50K first spend bonus altogether, if I wait until January to do the spend?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:48 pm

Any idea how long it takes for the points to expire? Or if they expire at all?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i have been asked to find out what my sis should know about the card.....she will use the awards for sdf-tucson.....& has no work travel & probably wont buy any wn tickets...

could someone help by pointing me to the details of the offer/spend/etc?

what i hope for is that you pay the fee, complete some spend and get 50k with which she hopefluly can get 2 rt awards w/only the usual airport & tsa fees to pay... & the mi will not expire for a couple of years....

aa is another option for her, i can probably advise her on aa cc's....

tia....

Last edited by clacko; Nov 10, 2011 at 10:07 am
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MBKing37
Any idea how long it takes for the points to expire? Or if they expire at all?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=southwest+rapid...2.0+expiration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.