Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:02 am

I could be wrong, but if your doing domestic flying, wouldnt 100k SW points(assuming I get 2 cards) be better than 60k united?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by bar19900
I could be wrong, but if your doing domestic flying, wouldnt 100k SW points(assuming I get 2 cards) be better than 60k united?
No, you're right. WN is much more flexible with it's RR booking using points. You could probably get 6-8 RTs with 100K points if you're careful with your choices on WN. On UA you will be lucky to get two, more likely one. Although I've had better luck with CO using UA miles, that option will be gone soon.
I'd say do the WN cards.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:29 am

I suggest waiting as long as possible to apply for both the personal and business and get the first statement date Jan1 or later.

Two 50k bonuses puts you 10k away from obtaining the CP for the remainder of 2012 and all of 2013.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:58 am

I only have one chase card thats about 6 years old....should I apply for the both the personal and business in the same day or wait a few days in between. I've read in this thread that people have had success with both......is one more advantageous?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
No, you're right. WN is much more flexible with it's RR booking using points. You could probably get 6-8 RTs with 100K points if you're careful with your choices on WN. On UA you will be lucky to get two, more likely one. Although I've had better luck with CO using UA miles, that option will be gone soon.
I'd say do the WN cards.
If you do international flights, CO miles are more valuable. RN's redemption rate for international flights are pity...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by superking
If you do international flights, CO miles are more valuable. RN's redemption rate for international flights are pity...

True, but OP was specifically about domestic.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know how quickly the 50k points post to your RR account after first purchase on the card?

I just made my first purchase today and am hoping to take advantage of the 72 hour sale.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by tyfabes
Does anyone know how quickly the 50k points post to your RR account after first purchase on the card?

I just made my first purchase today and am hoping to take advantage of the 72 hour sale.

They won't post until after your first credit card statement closes. Usually the points post a couple of days after the statement comes out but some people have reported it taking a week or more.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by facula
They won't post until after your first credit card statement closes. Usually the points post a couple of days after the statement comes out but some people have reported it taking a week or more.
Thanks for the information! Hopefully they post just a few days after the statement close.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:30 pm

I got the Southwest Signature VISA last October before RR 2.0 when they were offering one free flight (16 credits) as well as $500 in Southwest gift cards with a $5,000 spend. I closed that card early this year. Yesterday, I applied and was approved for the new Rapid Rewards Plus Card that offers 50,000 points after my first purchase. Since this was a totally different card and the rewards systems has been revamped from credits to points, should I expect to get the 50,000 bonus credits? Has anyone out there received more than one sign-up bonus with the Southwest card? Since I was approved for the card, should I feel pretty safe that I will be awarded the points? Thanks....
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:49 pm

I applied for and received the Personal Premier Card with the 50,000 bonus points back in July and will have over 60,000 SW points at the end of this month.

What do you think the possibility of applying for the Business Card and getting approved with having the points post before end of the year in order to qualify for the CP?

I've got one other Chase card that was a legacy Circuit City card. I also applied for and received the Citi AA Visa in August for 75K miles.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewUVM
I applied for and received the Personal Premier Card with the 50,000 bonus points back in July and will have over 60,000 SW points at the end of this month.

What do you think the possibility of applying for the Business Card and getting approved with having the points post before end of the year in order to qualify for the CP?

I've got one other Chase card that was a legacy Circuit City card. I also applied for and received the Citi AA Visa in August for 75K miles.
In terms of the timing, you should be fine. I applied for the Personal Premier at the end of July and was approved for the Business a couple of weeks ago. Other people have stated they've applied for both within days of each other. YMMV. As for the points, there is still plenty of time to apply and have the points post before the end of the year.

I can't really speak to how hard it is to get a business card approved, but it seems like a lot of people have success. We have a (very) small business so I actually had a business name to provide (optional on the application) and a non-zero checking account balance (also on the application). If you can get use out of the CP next year it's probably worth a shot.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:26 am

what if

I havent read all the details about the CP yet. I'm thinking what if you get both cards and wait to do your first purchase in Jan.
That would make the bonus points show up in 2012 and give plenty of time to earn the extra 10k to get the CP for 2012 and 2013....plausible?, possible?
or is it tied to first statement?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Question Does annual fee trigger issuance of bonus points?

Originally Posted by wise2u
I havent read all the details about the CP yet. I'm thinking what if you get both cards and wait to do your first purchase in Jan.
That would make the bonus points show up in 2012 and give plenty of time to earn the extra 10k to get the CP for 2012 and 2013....plausible?, possible?
or is it tied to first statement?
I'm considering the same approach. Wondering if the annual fee would be charged on the first or second statement and cause the bonus 50k points to be issued in November or December of this year. Can anyone who has received this card verify whether or not the annual fee hitting the account triggers the 50k bonus points to post?

If it does, it might still be possible to apply for the card, receive it and just not activate it for a month or so. There's probably some limit on how long you can have the card without activating before it is canceled though.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by meecal
Can anyone who has received this card verify whether or not the annual fee hitting the account triggers the 50k bonus points to post?
The trigger for the 50K points is the statement date (the statement that includes the first purchase).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.