Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Q. What are the best current offers?

Offer for 50K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $125 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $2K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
I applied for and was instantly approved for BA Chase on 4/7 for $15k. Applied for Chase Sapphire yesterday, got 'pending' message.

Today, I called up 1-888-245-0625 to check on the status and was told I'd been denied due to 'Chase card within 60 days.' I was asked why I was applying for so many cards, was honest that I have a lot of travel coming up and am trying to get miles to save money. The customer service rep agreed that it was a good idea I offered to move some credit, suggest $6000, and was then approved. Success!!

Although I'm pleased with the outcome, I'm annoyed that the decision had clearly been made but they were waiting to deliver the news by snail mail god knows when.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:24 am

Which phone number is for the recording? I have the reconsideration number, but would like to check the recording first.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by napilimom
which phone number is for the recording? I have the reconsideration number, but would like to check the recording first.
800-945-2006 - #, 2, 1, ssn
Old May 20, 2011, 10:29 am

I had to call and get them to allocate some of my other credit lines to this new account. But approved. Any links to the UR 50000 best options? (cash in for hotels, airline miles, cash, etc...)
Old May 20, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by NatasNJ
Any links to the UR 50000 best options? (cash in for hotels, airline miles, cash, etc...)
Read post #4 on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16381996-post4.html
Old May 20, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Thanks.

ONly thing I don't get is the 7% annual bonus.

So if I spend $20000 a year on this card netting me 20000 UR points.
(assuming $1 to 1pt purchases)
Then at years end I get a 7% pt bonus? Is this correct? So that would be 1400 free pts? Or is it 7% aka 14000pts for free? No way they could do the latter.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:54 am

Then at years end I get a 7% pt bonus? Is this correct?
Yes
Old May 20, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
800-945-2006 - #, 2, 1, ssn
When I called it was 1, 2, ssn.
Applied late last night, got a message saying decision pending. Called number above and it was approved for under $10k.
I've had a ton of Experian hits this last year, but score was still above my safety of 750 so I bit. If I transfer these to Hyatt then I have four nights at the Park Hyatt Maldives. Didn't tell the wife I was doing this, but can't keep $3000 spend secret.

Are there minimums/increments for transferring miles?
Old May 20, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Member

Thanks.

ONly thing I don't get is the 7% annual bonus.

Then at years end I get a 7% pt bonus? Is this correct? So that would be 1400 free pts? Or is it 7% aka 14000pts for free? No way they could do the latter.
I received 7% of all the points posted, including the bonus points I recevied at the time (25,000). So, in your example, you should receive 7% of (50,000 + 20,000) = 4900 points. So spend a bit more to make that 5,000 points, since points transfer in 1,000 point increments. (I leave it to you to do the algebra to figure out 1.07 times what = the extra needed 100. I retired from teaching the subject 15 years ago.)

The only caution on this is that they are not particularly prompt in posting the 7%. It took several months after the end of the year for me to see my bonus. And the card must be open to use the points. But the timing is perfect now. They should be well able to post the 7% between Jan 1 and May 20 of 2012, when you would have to pay the annual fee.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by pgary
So spend a bit more to make that 5,000 points, since points transfer in 1,000 point increments.
To reach a 1,000 point increment, you could also transfer points from other Chase cards enrolled in the Ultimate Rewards program.
Old May 20, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Called to check on my application - it was pending. I asked if we could expedite it, he reviewed it then and there. The question asked and answered above came up (thanks to the previous poster - forewarned is forarmed).

Q You've taken out an ungodly number of credit cards in the last several months. Can you tell me why?
A Next year is my 30th anniversary, they are all miles cards and we want to go around the world.

Well he didn't use the word "ungodly", but he did talk about the "velocity" of my new card application rate.

It came down to I would have to cancel a credit card with Chase to get a new one. I only have two cards with them (Marriott and Continental). I had already cancelled United a while ago and British recently (got asked why and enlightened him on YQ).

Quite a lengthy process, but no question, these are thinking folks with decision making authority (contrary to Chase's home equity people).

I wound up canceling the Continental card. I would have rather had that then the Mariott card except for the fact that I need the 15 nights towards elite status. Got the Sapphire approved on the spot as a result.

Sorry for the length of the post, but thought it might be useful to others.
Old May 20, 2011, 5:52 pm
In memoriam

Called up today after getting the application under review message a few days ago. Told my Preferred app was denied due to my already having a regular Sapphire account. There is, per the rep, a rule that can't get a second Sapphire card within 12 months of getting first (I got regular Sapphire a couple of months ago with a BA card last month). And, again, per rep, I can't transfer my Sapphire 25K plus points to the Preferred account, if I got it open.

But, I can redeem my regular account points, then close the account (otherwise would lose the points when account is closed), and then ask Chase to reconsider my Preferred app.

Wonder what I can get with 25K regular Sapphire points ...?
Old May 20, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Wonder what I can get with 25K regular Sapphire points ...?
You could ask if you can convert your regular Sapphire and its 25K points to a Freedom card and after that have them reconsider the Preferred Sapphire. After you get the Preferred Sapphire, move the points from Freedom to it.

Last edited by michael_v; May 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm
Old May 21, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Got my Chase Sapphire card today - very interesting look about it, with the account # on the back rather than on the front!!!

When I called to activate my card, the rep said, "Wow! You will receive 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points when you spend $3000 in the first 93 days." I commented that that was the reason I applied for this card and he said, "well that's great, that's the most I've ever seen offered!"
Old May 21, 2011, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by pgary
I received 7% of all the points posted, including the bonus points I recevied at the time (25,000). So, in your example, you should receive 7% of (50,000 + 20,000) = 4900 points.
Wow -- I didn't understand this from the prior posts. You think we'll get the 7 percent even on the 50k bonus? For those of us looking to just make the minimum spend of $3,000 I think that means an extra 3710 points. Not sure my math skills are up to speed but it seems to me if you're looking for even
multiples of 1,000 the sweet spot might be a spend of $6075, which should get you an even 60,000 points if you truly get the 7 percent bonus on the 50k bonus points. If you wanted to do the lowest spend possible to get the 50k but still get an even 1,000 multiple on the 7 percent bonus I think it is to spend $3272. This should give you 53,272 points. The 7 percent bonus would give you 3,729 bonus points, for a total of 57,001 points. I'm not taking the possibility of double points on the card into account, which is a bit above my capacity and flyertalk pay grade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.