Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I got a targeted application for the chase ink plus business card 70K for 5K spend. I have the chase ink business card applied for that one about 12 months ago.
T&C says if I had this card and got the bonus in the last 24 months I am inelligible.
I called two times to CS since I have the ink not ink plus and they said if I apply and am approved I will definately get the bonus.

Was CS wrong?
I have double checked, any way to triple check?

I have been approved and the card is about 24 hours away.
With Citi, if you get a targeted offer, all the other rules are out the window. But I don't know about Chase.

On the negative side, Chase CSRs have been known to say someone will get the bonus, and be wrong about that. Pointing out that the CSR told you something wrong did not change the denial.

Good Luck, and let us know the end result.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:58 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Brugge
Chase CSRs have been known to say someone will get the bonus, and be wrong about that. Pointing out that the CSR told you something wrong did not change the denial.
Whereas Chase has never been known to weasel out of a commitment made by secure message.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
Ugh. I think I just made the worst mistake in history. Applied, received, met the spend for the 70K Chase Ink Plus. I left the country forgetting to put the payment on autopay. I just checked my account and my payment is 5 days late! I immediately paid the balance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Did I just lose 70,000 points because my account was not kept up to date (this is my first billing cycle). I messed up. I feel terrible.
Your bonus is fine, and so is your credit. It's not 30 days late, so will not be reported to a credit bureau. The bonus is not in jeopardy.

Hopefully by now you've already called, gotten the late fee and interest charges waived, and are feeling better about the whole thing. I often find that brand new cards have a hitch... sometimes (Citibank) you can't even set up autopay until the statement closes and posts.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Your bonus is fine, and so is your credit. It's not 30 days late, so will not be reported to a credit bureau. The bonus is not in jeopardy.

Hopefully by now you've already called, gotten the late fee and interest charges waived, and are feeling better about the whole thing.
^
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
With Citi, if you get a targeted offer, all the other rules are out the window. But I don't know about Chase.

Chase goes by the hard rules written in the T&C and nothing else matters. The targeted offers are junk mails sent to the general public. If you apply and dont meet the T&C (such as the 24 mt previous bonus) then most likely will not be awarded a second bonus.
As a data point , this happened to my wife when she applied and got approved for a targeted offer for the United Explorer card in the mail. Didnt get the sign up bonus of 50K as she already got it once before about 13 months back.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sharka
Chase goes by the hard rules written in the T&C and nothing else matters. The targeted offers are junk mails sent to the general public. If you apply and dont meet the T&C (such as the 24 mt previous bonus) then most likely will not be awarded a second bonus.
As a data point , this happened to my wife when she applied and got approved for a targeted offer for the United Explorer card in the mail. Didnt get the sign up bonus of 50K as she already got it once before about 13 months back.
That's simply not true. The truth is, sometimes you get the second bonus, and other times you don't. Why it happens (or doesn't happen for you) is everyone's guess.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:19 pm

Hey, any idea how long I need to wait to apply for a product that I just cancelled?

DH had a BA card since 2009, I just cancelled it today and want to get another. (asap, of course, this is FT!!!) It's obviously been more than 2 years since the bonus. What do you think would be prudent? DH has only one other Chase card open, Fico 832, longstanding bank account and mortgage with our dear friend JP Morgan, so everything is good to go except the "like product" caveat.

I remember that a few of you cancelled the IHG M/c and got Visas immediately.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
They only say you shouldn't have the card, not how long you shouldn't have it. However, my concern would be that it's still on the record with Chase. You can even "reanimate" the closed card within a few months if you choose to do so.

Maybe it's my latest traumatic (LOL) experience with Chase talking, but I would wait for 2-3 weeks. You still have the AF waived for the 1st yr. till Dec 31.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:01 am

I will hold off as long as I can, LOL! I, too, had a traumatic experience with Chase recon, so I'm suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder over it.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:28 am

I will hold off as long as I can, LOL! I, too, had a traumatic experience with Chase recon, so I'm suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder over it.
That's a special variant, known as Post Traumatic Recon Disorder. I too suffered from that for a while. With time, the symptoms go away.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:51 am

I just applied for Chase SW Plus personal and said it's pending review. This was a mild surprise to me. I have 3 Chase personal cards (all 2+ yrs old), 1 business (applied 2-3 months ago) and excellent credit (780+ Experian) and high income. The big thing is that I got a luxury car lease last night (they pulled Experian). I'm going to call the reconsideration line now; if they're worried I have too much CL, I'll pull some from my Sapphire ($30K) that I don't ever use anymore. But assuming I get approved, should I apply for another SW card right away? Wait a week? Will it matter at this point if I apply for a business or personal?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:52 am
RNE

For the umpteenth time, allow me to remind everyone that there's no need to guess or worry. Simply contact Chase through the secure message center and ask for confirmation that if you apply for the offer, are approved and meet the spend, will you receive the bonus. Yes or no.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just applied for Chase SW Plus personal and said it's pending review. This was a mild surprise to me. I have 3 Chase personal cards (all 2+ yrs old), 1 business (applied 2-3 months ago) and excellent credit (780+ Experian) and high income. The big thing is that I got a luxury car lease last night (they pulled Experian). I'm going to call the reconsideration line now; if they're worried I have too much CL, I'll pull some from my Sapphire ($30K) that I don't ever use anymore. But assuming I get approved, should I apply for another SW card right away? Wait a week? Will it matter at this point if I apply for a business or personal?
That does seem like a lot of Chase cards (3 personal, 1 biz), but I think you still have some room for another biz card. It does sound like you are starting to get a large credit line. We know the lenders view that as a potential for trouble brewing... you could charge up those CL's and head to Mexico tomorrow.

The high CL's will sidetrack your instant approvals, but your chances still seem excellent for the current app. You could either call recon or ride it out. Does the message say they'll let you know in 7-10 days? Or 2 weeks?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:01 pm

That does seem like a lot of Chase cards (3 personal, 1 biz), but I think you still have some room for another biz card. It does sound like you are starting to get a large credit line. We know the lenders view that as a potential for trouble brewing... you could charge up those CL's and head to Mexico tomorrow.

The high CL's will sidetrack your instant approvals, but your chances still seem excellent for the current app. You could either call recon or ride it out. Does the message say they'll let you know in 7-10 days? Or 2 weeks?
I just called reconsideration line and got approved quickly. The rep said I have too much CL compared to my low spend-- total balance of 3 personal cards $975) vs CL $60k. He said we could move $10k over from sapphire and that was that.

So now I want to apply for business application. Should I expect more hassle now?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just called reconsideration line and got approved quickly. The rep said I have too much CL compared to my low spend-- total balance of 3 personal cards $975) vs CL $60k. He said we could move $10k over from sapphire and that was that.

So now I want to apply for business application. Should I expect more hassle now?
YAY! Congrats!
Hard to say what lies in store at the recon line. Some of us have been grilled down to the last detail about our businesses and now suffer Post Traumatic Recon Disorder (see above posts)... it's not a pleasant process. Then, sometimes it goes through without a hitch or with only a small hitch. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you're looking for a Chase Ink, it might be worth a call or visit to a brick and mortar branch office, where the 70K offer was still live 2 weeks ago. That is a sweet, sweet deal. Wish I could get a few dozen of them! Also there are some referral offers for some people... check the "referral offers, post here" thread to see what's cookin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.