Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I'm not sure what is the rule thumb for churning chase cards and now this question gets asked all the time. Can someone add the general role for churning char carts to the wiki on this thread. I recall either 12 months or 18 months but is this from approval date or card closing date?

General rule for the min about of time you should keep a card open before closing added to wiki as well?
The general consensus is that you can NOT churn Chase cards...not unless you wait for 2+ years from the point you last cancelled.
And that too hasn't been confirmed...

There have been a few reports of getting the same bonus again for the SAME card, but they the exception not the rule.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:16 pm

Applying for CSP

I am relatively new to the CC miles game and don't consider myself a churner, but I want to maximize my miles.
I currently have the following:
Chase United Plus- CL 20,000 (many years old and don't use now that I have the Explorer)
Chase Freedom - CL 9,500 (many years old and have a lot of UR)
United Explorer - CL 20,000 (received in March with 50K bonus)
Credit Score is about 770
I now want to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa which seems to be the next logical step with the bonus and ability to transfer to United
After reading all of the threads I am still unclear on how long I should wait to apply for the CSP.
Any advice will be appreciated
Old May 29, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Welcome to FT. From what you wrote you should have no problem to apply and get the CSP. You may or may not be asked to shift some of your existing credit to this card. This thread has lots of info on this subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html
Old May 31, 2013, 11:50 am

I talked to the executive office regarding to 2x EX INQs on my first Ink Bold. First INQ was to validate my 'business' and second INQ was to validate the decision for granting me credit for my 'business'. The EO told me that they are unable to reverse the second INQ.

For people with both Bold and Plus, did you get hit with 4x INQs (2x INQs/card) or 3x INQ (2x INQs on one card and 1x INQ on another) or 2x INQs (1x INQ for each card)?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
I talked to the executive office regarding to 2x EX INQs on my first Ink Bold. First INQ was to validate my 'business' and second INQ was to validate the decision for granting me credit for my 'business'. The EO told me that they are unable to reverse the second INQ.

For people with both Bold and Plus, did you get hit with 4x INQs (2x INQs/card) or 3x INQ (2x INQs on one card and 1x INQ on another) or 2x INQs (1x INQ for each card)?
In the past I have never had more than 1x INQ per application, but my most recent churn over the weekend I got the MasterCard version of the CSP and had 2x INQ. Citi did the same thing...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So any recent experiences validating the "6 months between applications" rule? I would like to take advantage of the UA club card offer before June 15, but will also be applying for the Hyatt card in mid-Sept. during a Diamond challenge and don't want to risk a rejection.

I currently have 4 Chase consumer cards so I think it likely I will have to shred one, as I did last year.

Originally Posted by jatink129
The general consensus is that you can NOT churn Chase cards...not unless you wait for 2+ years from the point you last cancelled.
And that too hasn't been confirmed...

There have been a few reports of getting the same bonus again for the SAME card, but they the exception not the rule.
How does this apply to the old Chase Continental MC? I cancelled that one about 14 months ago and am considering the Chase UA card? I would think for $395 a year they will be happy to sign me up, particularly as there is no signup bonus (though fee waived 1st year).
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:22 pm

Data Point: Applied for the Sapphire 40k and the Ink Bold 50k (I have the Ink Plus). Approved for the Sapphire, denied for the Ink Bold. The Bold denial was a very specific one, they said I am not allowed to get any more cards with signup bonus for now. They said I've been approved for too many cards in the past 365 days and will have to wait. They mentioned my credit was excellent and that was not a problem. I've gotten 6 chase cards in the past year, 5 within the past 6 months.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:55 pm

Get bonus for upgrading from CS to CSP?

I currently have a Chase Sapphire (not preferred) Visa. Because of some future travel and other things, I'd like to upgrade it to Sapphire Preferred.

Will Chase give the CSP signup bonus for upgrades? Or would I have to close the CS and wait at least six months (or more) and then apply for the CSP to get the bonus?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by lagrangian
I currently have a Chase Sapphire (not preferred) Visa. Because of some future travel and other things, I'd like to upgrade it to Sapphire Preferred.

Will Chase give the CSP signup bonus for upgrades? Or would I have to close the CS and wait at least six months (or more) and then apply for the CSP to get the bonus?
I'm pretty certain that Chase is not going to give you a signup bonus for upgrading the card. You could just apply for the CSP now, and offer to close the CS, if needed, to get approval.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by chrisj500
I'm pretty certain that Chase is not going to give you a signup bonus for upgrading the card. You could just apply for the CSP now, and offer to close the CS, if needed, to get approval.
You're saying that applying for the CSP as a new card rather than an upgrade would still qualify for the signup bonus (even though I'm a current CS holder)?

And if I were to do this, I assume you recommend doing it over the phone so I can make the offer to close the CS rather than having some computer reject the application because I already had a CS?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by tys90
Data Point: Applied for the Sapphire 40k and the Ink Bold 50k (I have the Ink Plus). Approved for the Sapphire, denied for the Ink Bold. The Bold denial was a very specific one, they said I am not allowed to get any more cards with signup bonus for now. They said I've been approved for too many cards in the past 365 days and will have to wait. They mentioned my credit was excellent and that was not a problem. I've gotten 6 chase cards in the past year, 5 within the past 6 months.
Did they give you an idea of how long you'd have to wait?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ops5
Did they give you an idea of how long you'd have to wait?
They mentioned "in the past year" and looking at my history, I'm guessing I'll have to wait until November or December to try again, possibly January. It's a bit disappointing but I'll probably give it a shot earlier than that.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by lagrangian
You're saying that applying for the CSP as a new card rather than an upgrade would still qualify for the signup bonus (even though I'm a current CS holder)?

And if I were to do this, I assume you recommend doing it over the phone so I can make the offer to close the CS rather than having some computer reject the application because I already had a CS?
Yes, I think that would be the case since they are different products.
Actually, I'd just apply online. If you don't get instant approval, I'd call the reconsideration number afterwards - they'll ask you some questions, and if they aren't comfortable giving you additional credit - you can offer to trade the existing CS' TL for a new CSP TL.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by tys90
I assume this was verbal on the phone. Did you get a follow up letter from Chase? I'd be curious if the formal rejection mentioned anything relating to sign-up bonuses.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:59 pm

anyone know of a better sign-up bonus for the Chase Freedom other than the public one (get $100 cash back after you spend $500 in the first 3 months from account opening.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.