Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Very strange. Glad it worked out in your favor though!

My Chase profile is somewhat similar to yours, received one July 2011 and CSP in Jan 2012. I was thinking about adding the Bold in my next round of apps.
Yeah I'm getting the feeling banks get more antsy about biz cards with lots of spending. I don't know exactly why, however it seems to raise some red flags in their eyes (or system).
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is probably a dumb question, but I just need some confirmation:

Let's say I have a Chase BA card (which I do!) and the statement closes on March 30.

Let's say I apply for another Chase card on March 15 and get told that I need to trade in another card to open this one. If I close the BA card before March 30, do I lose the points that I would have earned from the month before?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold

Let's say I have a Chase BA card (which I do!) and the statement closes on March 30.

Let's say I apply for another Chase card on March 15 and get told that I need to trade in another card to open this one. If I close the BA card before March 30, do I lose the points that I would have earned from the month before?
You should still receive a final statement which includes your charges/points for the previous month.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Data point: Chase lending department called me a couple of days ago, grilling me about my INK card. They wanted to know why I had applied for each and every Chase card (for the past year), explanations of balances on other CC's on my CR, my charging pattern on the INK (yes it is quite heavy), as well as personal, employment, and financial history, etc. For a moment I thought AmEx FR 2.0 here we go ... but nothing happened and at the end they offered me a CL increase.
I too got a call from Chase yesterday about my Ink, but it wasn't a "grilling" at all. Just wanted more info about the Biz. 2010,11,12 revenues and profits w/ and w/out depreciation. Asked about my typical monthly spending. I've got a "credit limit" of $15K (I know, it's a charge card, but he said it's a soft limit). He asked if I needed him to raise it, since I've spent about $20K since I got the card in Feb. I told him it's fine with me where it is, and I'll just pay it off more frequently if need be, which he liked to hear. I offered to pay off the balance now, mid-statement, since there's about $11K on the card now if Chase is worried about me being a new Biz customer, and he said, no it's fine, don't worry about it. I said I'm new with Chase Biz, and was moving biz spending from Am Ex, and was looking forward to building a relationship with Chase.

You gotta talk them up and say what they want to hear, which is all true with me. I've got plenty of DL miles and MR points, so I want to grow my UR point balance now.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by DavidAL
You gotta talk them up and say what they want to hear,
Agreed. I'm more used to AmEx one-sided discussions during FR's so it was a surprisingly pleasant experience, overall. Just found it odd that they asked (mostly) the same questions they did during the initial approval call few weeks back.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:01 am
wcj

I believe this is the correct thread for this question, but it could also belong in the sapphire thread. This question may take some of you back to the good old days because we are not in the same league. However, I have had a BOA CC for the past 10 yrs (unheard of here it seems) with hubby as an authorized user. Found this forum a couple of months ago and realized that 1pt/$1 and $50booking fee per ticket was not the best deal for which I thank you.

We realized that all the credit was hitting my report and he was getting hit for no revolving accounts as we pay cash for cars and only have one mortgage remaining. We wanted to get one sapphire for every day spend in his name and I would pickup a amex delta gold just for trips with my parents who love their checked luggage. Hubby gets $6900 sapphire limit after I apply for delta Amex card, which I don't now what to do with. While not spending as much as you guys, we will blow that limit every couple of weeks and his utilization would be too high.

We are used to the simplicity of 1 card with higher limit, but recognize that this must be killing his credit, even though he has 800 score. I'd like to apply for my own sapphire, but just did thoe Amex and husband did sapphire as well. Do you think this is possible to achieve, i.e. is chase likely to approve or should I wait it out?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

You should still receive a final statement which includes your charges/points for the previous month.
I just called Chase and was told I would forfeit all the points ... but I know reps don't always know the truth. Who to believe?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wcj
We are used to the simplicity of 1 card with higher limit, but recognize that this must be killing his credit, even though he has 800 score. I'd like to apply for my own sapphire, but just did thoe Amex and husband did sapphire as well. Do you think this is possible to achieve, i.e. is chase likely to approve or should I wait it out?
Interesting dilemma...

Probably the best course of action is to charge a little bit on the Sapphire each of the next 2-3 months, let the statements close and report, then apply for another card from a different issuer.

In the medium term, you can pay off the Sapphire pretty much as often as you want. So pay it every week and especially pay a few days before the statement closes.

In the long term, you can ask for a credit line increase when he can demonstrate better credit utilization. And/Or just get another Sapphire for yourself and add him as an authorized user.

Keep in mind, lots and lots of people here apply for 5+ cards at the same time and 10+ cards/year. You could very well both apply for more cards with no problems.

Note: Even if Chase declines you, you can call for reconsideration and probably have a good case.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I just called Chase and was told I would forfeit all the points ... but I know reps don't always know the truth. Who to believe?
I would talk to someone else. I remember this topic being brought up before and a final statement cut with the points.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by wcj
I'd like to apply for my own sapphire, but just did thoe Amex and husband did sapphire as well. Do you think this is possible to achieve, i.e. is chase likely to approve or should I wait it out?
If I were you, I would apply today for your own Sapphire Preferred Card. Yes, I think you are likely to be approved now.

Your husband's new Chase card will not affect your application, even if you are an authorized user, because he is the primary card holder, not you. So you have one recent credit inquiry from AMEX, which is not much at all, may not even be on the same credit bureau, and should not affect your application for a Chase card if you have a good payment history. Search for the 50,000 UR point sign up bonus for the Sapphire Preferred which is harder to find than it used to be.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:23 am
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 3:50 pm Reason: dead
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:29 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by NotHome
I wanted to add a question to the above. My wife recently got a Sapphire Card (in addition to her BA card. I have Ba and Hyatt). Should her recent Sapphire approval have any effect on me obtaining the same card?
Not sure, but I do know that I got the Chase Marriott card, added my husband as an AU, then he applied for one of his own... denied. Now, its true that his credit isn't as good/as long as mine is, but he DID get approved for a Citi AAdvantage Visa Sig card the same day so my gut feeling on this one is that it wasn't so much his credit report/score that did it - I probably shouldn't have added him as an AU, since the system most likely feels that he already has a Marriott card now.

But this is just speculation on my part so far.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:32 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond

No. Both of you already have BA cards, it would work the same for any other card. The only exception would be if it was a joint account, but I don't think Chase even offers those anymore.
They do if you call and request it. When I called to activate my Marriott card, the guy asked if htere was anything else he could help me with so I asked if I could add my husband as an AU. He asked if I wanted to add him as a joint account holder, or whether I just wanted him to be allowed to use my card but I would ultimately be responsible for the charges.

(In my past experience, if you add someone as a joint account holder after the fact, they still do of course pull the new joint person's credit report before agreeing to do so).

[edit - sorry just realized this has already been answered.. need more coffee before replying in the future]
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Hey everyone, was thinking about applying for the Sapphire preferred, here's some background:

I have a UA Visa Plat card (since 2003) and a Presidential Plus card (applied in Oct 2011). I don't want to close my UA Visa since it is my longest held account, but will try to convert it to a no-fee card and use it once every few months. Hopefully I will get approved for the CSP card, and will have three cards but will only be utilizing two.

EDIT: So I changed my UA Visa Plat to a no-fee card, and was told that my APR and CL would stay the same but the account number would change. They also told me that it will not affect the history of the account and that everything would stay the same on my credit report (said it was the same thing if your card got stolen and needed a replacement, they would issue a new account number).

UPDATE 3/30: I applied for the CSP last night, got the decision pending will contact you in 10 days, etc. By the time I had applied the recon line was closed, so I just called 20 mins ago right when they opened up. I spoke to a very nice woman, and told her that I just applied for the CSP, and wanted to know if I could get the application approved. She asked me for my SSN, and came back a few minutes later and said that I would need to reallocate some credit from one of my other accounts. Gladly did that, and now I have a CSP account!!! I was a bit confused because they kept saying "Sapphire card" instead of CSP, and I had them confirm just in case because I thought maybe I filled out the wrong app or this was some mishap on their end, but they said it just shows Sapphire right now because I just got approved, and that in 72 hours it will update. They also said no bonus offer showed up right now, which kind of scared me, but again said after 72 hours it will all update. Will have to check on that once I spend the 3k, thankfully I took pictures on my phone of the app with my info and the bonus offer info at the top. I also asked for rush delivery on the card, and they said I will get the card in 1-2 business days, but in two weeks (which is the regular time frame to get a card), they said I would receive my welcome packet along with another card.

All in all, I am happy, and I just wanted to say thanks to this thread and the 50k thread, which had a wealth of info and helped me immensely during my application process.

Last edited by thefiverivers; Mar 31, 2012 at 6:58 am
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
What's the automated phone number where I can check the status of an app? I remember reading it on one of the forum posts but I did a search and couldn't find it...

Cheers,
Jimmy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.