Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sehvral
Her'es one I haven't seen before.

Just starting to hit Chase cards with the last app (everyone but Barclays hits Experian for me, and I've been focusing on other issuers till now).

Applied for two Chase cards, first approved instantly, second denied for too many apps (expected). Called recon, after a couple questions they approved my second card. Got a letter today informing me that my second app was still being denied for too many apps.

Any ever have this happen before? Recon approves you, but you still get denied?
Did the letter mention your reconsideration attempt? Most times when the denial is done by computer, a letter is automatically sent out. If you call for recon after, you will still get the letter saying you were denied.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Did the letter mention your reconsideration attempt? Most times when the denial is done by computer, a letter is automatically sent out. If you call for recon after, you will still get the letter saying you were denied.
It mentioned the recon.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by sehvral
It mentioned the recon.
Give them another call to see what happened, just explain you thought it was all taken care of and maybe something fell through the cracks.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:43 pm

Is the min. wait for time between Chase apps one month from being accepted for a card or one month from applying for a card? I applied for the Sapphire Preferred on 29 January and do not have the card yet (I applied with no US credit history because a CSR told me they could pull Canadian credit. I was denied as expected, and called the reconsideration line. The rep said they could not in fact pull Canadian credit, but even though I had no US credit score yet, my 5 months of paying off my BoA MasterCard was enough for the rep to approve me with the min limit, pending a copy of my SSN card and address. I sent that off and a couple of weeks later they also asked me for a passport copy, so I'm still waiting for approval of that). So, do you think I can apply for the UA Mileage Plus Explorer yet, or do I have to wait 30 days from approval/when I actually get the Sapphire Preferred?

CreditKarma is already generating a credit score for me given that it's now been about 6 months since I got my first US credit card.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by masterthespian
Originally Posted by Ducati
Just wondering...Why did you get the Marriot card? Did you consider getting an airline card like the UA card for 50K miles? I never saw any real value in hotel cards (except SPG), especially since Marriot points are somewhat watered down. I could be mistaken...
The marriott's card just seems like a hell of a deal. annual fee is 85 dollars(waived the first year), and each year you get a free night at a category 1-5 hotel. a category 5 hotel usually costs $250+ for a night.

Again, it comes with 70000 signup, a free night at a category 1-4 hotel and no annual fee for first year just for signing up and making one purchase. I wouldnt suggest the marriott card to someone as a main card, get the sapphire preferred first.
I guess a free night AND 70K points does sound good. I was thinking about the Chase Hyatt where they give you two free nights anywhere, but there's a $75 fee. Does Marriott give you a free night once you get the card? I guess the Marriott can get you 3-4 days free at the medium priced hotels.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Is the min. wait for time between Chase apps one month from being accepted for a card or one month from applying for a card? I applied for the Sapphire Preferred on 29 January and do not have the card yet (I applied with no US credit history because a CSR told me they could pull Canadian credit. I was denied as expected, and called the reconsideration line. The rep said they could not in fact pull Canadian credit, but even though I had no US credit score yet, my 5 months of paying off my BoA MasterCard was enough for the rep to approve me with the min limit, pending a copy of my SSN card and address. I sent that off and a couple of weeks later they also asked me for a passport copy, so I'm still waiting for approval of that). So, do you think I can apply for the UA Mileage Plus Explorer yet, or do I have to wait 30 days from approval/when I actually get the Sapphire Preferred?

CreditKarma is already generating a credit score for me given that it's now been about 6 months since I got my first US credit card.
I know for a fact that Chase allows two apps in a 30-day period if you've never had a Chase card (or it's been a very long time since the last one). But, they will still deny your second online app. You have to call in to get the second app approved. It should work for you.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mabramovich
So, do you think I can apply for the UA Mileage Plus Explorer yet, or do I have to wait 30 days from approval/when I actually get the Sapphire Preferred?

IMO I would wait until the Sapphire card is approved and in your mailbox. If they are still requesting information from you, it means it is not a done deal yet. To go through this much trouble to get one card approved, I don't know what your chances would be on the United card. Since they gave you the minimum credit line (5k correct?), you probably couldn't even split the credit line for approval.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:59 pm

Experian shows me with 4 inquiries in the past 17 months, only 1 by Chase (which is strange, since I've gotten explorer/freedom and Ink Bold in the past 7 months). I want Sapphire Preferred before the 50K offer ends, and just got freedom less than a month ago. Should I apply for the Sapphire now anyway?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
Experian shows me with 4 inquiries in the past 17 months, only 1 by Chase (which is strange, since I've gotten explorer/freedom and Ink Bold in the past 7 months). I want Sapphire Preferred before the 50K offer ends, and just got freedom less than a month ago. Should I apply for the Sapphire now anyway?
You would probably increase your chances for approval if you waited 30 days, but there is no rule against it. You also have other cards which could allow you to transfer a portion of your CL's to the sapphire preferred if you had to.

As far as only having one inquiry from Chase, they just pulled another bureau for your ink card. Assuming you got the explorer and freedom at the same time.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:52 pm

I know for a fact that Chase allows two apps in a 30-day period if you've never had a Chase card (or it's been a very long time since the last one). But, they will still deny your second online app. You have to call in to get the second app approved. It should work for you.
I had four existing Chase accounts and then applied for the Hyatt Visa on 2/6 and the United Explorer on 2/23. I didn't get immediate approval for either, but I didn't get denied either. Both times I was called to see if I would agree to move existing credit lines from my existing accounts. So, it is possible to get two approvals within 30 days without being denied and then calling the reconsideration line.

The first time, I moved $6,500 from my recently downgraded Sapphire for my new Hyatt card. Second time, I moved the remaining $5,000 from my Sapphire (and closed it) and also moved $11,500 from my MileagePlus Select Visa (and closed it also) and now have a $16,500 cl on my new Explorer card. I also have a OnePass Plus mastercard that is about 1.5 yrs old. My other remaining card is a Priority Club Select Visa.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Give them another call to see what happened, just explain you thought it was all taken care of and maybe something fell through the cracks.
Called up again today. The gal couldn't figure out how I went from approved to denied the last time, nothing in the notes to explain it, but she re-ran the app and approved me. Gave me the last-4 digits of the number, so it should be finalized now.

Persistence pays off
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:12 pm

Does Marriott give you a free night once you get the card? I guess the Marriott can get you 3-4 days free at the medium priced hotels.
Getting the Marriott card you can get 70,000 points + a free category 1-4 hotel (out of 8 categories) night certificate (which is good, however, for only 6 mos.). When you renew the Marriott card (a $65 fee is incurred) you then get a free category 1-5 hotel night certificate (which is valid for one year).
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Getting the Marriott card you can get 70,000 points + a free category 1-4 hotel (out of 8 categories) night certificate (which is good, however, for only 6 mos.). When you renew the Marriott card (a $65 fee is incurred) you then get a free category 1-5 hotel night certificate (which is valid for one year).
... as discussed in detail in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...mier-visa.html
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Data Point ...

With 2 seldomly-used Chase cards open (and no Chase applications in the past 10 months), I applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and a Chase Ink (Classic) business card on the same day. In addition, I applied 2 other cards from two other banks, also on the same day. The Sapphire card was approved instantly. I received a Pending Decision notification on the Ink card.

On the day I received my Sapphire card (with a healthy credit line), I also received a decline letter from Chase on my Ink application (reason: Too much credit opened with Chase). I called for reconsideration on the Ink card ... and here is where the Data Point comes in ...

The agent, while talking with me, hard-pulled my credit again. In this second pull, he could see that I had applied for 2 other cards, in addition to the Chase cards, on the same day -- which defeated the whole idea related to "applying on the same day." He had lots of questions about that, but he did eventually grant me the Ink card.

I've asked Chase and other banks for reconsideration a few times in the past and have never seen a second hard-pull on my credit history ... So, at least for me, this was a new wrinkle that has me re-thinking application strategy.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by bruinfan90
Data Point ...

With 2 seldomly-used Chase cards open (and no Chase applications in the past 10 months), I applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and a Chase Ink (Classic) business card on the same day. In addition, I applied 2 other cards from two other banks, also on the same day. The Sapphire card was approved instantly. I received a Pending Decision notification on the Ink card.

On the day I received my Sapphire card (with a healthy credit line), I also received a decline letter from Chase on my Ink application (reason: Too much credit opened with Chase). I called for reconsideration on the Ink card ... and here is where the Data Point comes in ...

The agent, while talking with me, hard-pulled my credit again. In this second pull, he could see that I had applied for 2 other cards, in addition to the Chase cards, on the same day -- which defeated the whole idea related to "applying on the same day." He had lots of questions about that, but he did eventually grant me the Ink card.

I've asked Chase and other banks for reconsideration a few times in the past and have never seen a second hard-pull on my credit history ... So, at least for me, this was a new wrinkle that has me re-thinking application strategy.
Are you sure they pulled it for the ink the first time? I had a similar experience with a chase business card. They didnt pull my credit the first time (denied for too many recent inquiries), but did when I called for recon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.