Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by muirhejsff
So is the idea here that Chase is trying to implicitly threaten churn-type activity but really are powerless to do so once the miles are in your MP account?

- John
No, the language you originally quoted:

Upon cancellation of your credit card account your miles will expire according to the MileagePlus Program Rules
is not a threat, it actually relates to one of the card benefits. United miles are subject to expiration if their is no activity in your account for 18 months UNLESS you hold the MileagePlus Explorer Card (there may be other exemptions as well). They are simply stating that if you cancel your MileagePlus Explorer Card, then your miles will expire if 18 months elapse without activity in your account.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:25 pm

Annual Fee Avoidance

I have a Chase Card for which the Annual Fee will be due on April 1st.

Because of some spending I would like to put on this particular card in the early part of April, I was hoping to put off cancelling it until around 4/15/12 but obviously want to make sure I don't get stuck paying the annual fee for the coming year.

Does anyone know when I would need to cancel by in order to avoid being required to pay the annual fee for the coming year?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:28 pm

60 days

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Chase Card for which the Annual Fee will be due on April 1st.

Because of some spending I would like to put on this particular card in the early part of April, I was hoping to put off cancelling it until around 4/15/12 but obviously want to make sure I don't get stuck paying the annual fee for the coming year.

Does anyone know when I would need to cancel by in order to avoid being required to pay the annual fee for the coming year?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

My wife just hung up with a Chase rep who said we would have 60 days after April 1st to close the card. That sounds like a long time for the bank to give us.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated about this topic.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:18 am

Chase Hyatt Card

My wife and I had applied and gotten the Chase Hyatt cards last year
and were able to use the 2 free nights each at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai.
Its coming up for renewal now but I understand the renewal bonus is
a free night at Cat 1-4 hotels.

I searched this forum but could not see if anyone has had success
cancelling this card and reapplying to get the bonus again....

Anyone?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:13 am

Does not work for Chase.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:54 am

Hi rpnconsult,

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

With Chase you have to wait 18 months before having a chance of getting the same bonus again. So no, Chase cards cannot be churned.

Originally Posted by rpnconsult
My wife and I had applied and gotten the Chase Hyatt cards last year
and were able to use the 2 free nights each at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai.
Its coming up for renewal now but I understand the renewal bonus is
a free night at Cat 1-4 hotels.

I searched this forum but could not see if anyone has had success
cancelling this card and reapplying to get the bonus again....

Anyone?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:03 am

I dont think anyone has reported being able to get a chase card even after 18 months, have they? Seemed the general consensus was Chase not churnable. 18 is for citi.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:52 am

Chase Ink Bold

How long does it take to get an approval or a denial? I applied for this card about a week ago and still heard nothing from them. I called the automated status checker and it is saying my application is still under review.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Call Chase's reconsideration line at 888-245-0625 and talk to a real person.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Does not work for Chase.
Originally Posted by leftpinky
I dont think anyone has reported being able to get a chase card even after 18 months, have they? Seemed the general consensus was Chase not churnable. 18 is for citi.
Chase is churnable in my experience, but I've waited 2 years or more between cxl and the new app.

Also, you can always get the card per se from Chase. It's just that they'll send you a letter denying the bonus if you've had the card before (and too recently), unlike Citi, which will straight up deny the app.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Chase Hyatt declined, successful appeal

I got a Sapphire Preferred about a month ago. Last week I applied for a Hyatt card. I heard nothing for a week, then called, and was told I was declined. Was transferred and was told that the problem was my $25K limit on the Sapphire, and would I be willing to reduce that. I said sure (I rarely carry a balance of more than $1-$2K, I pay my bills mid-month), they reduced it to $5K and gave me the Hyatt card.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:00 pm

Actually, the reconsideration number for business apps is 1-800-453-9719 (the one below is for personal apps).

You have waited a week. Give them a call, they probably have a few 'questions' about your business. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I got a Sapphire Preferred about a month ago. Last week I applied for a Hyatt card. I heard nothing for a week, then called, and was told I was declined. Was transferred and was told that the problem was my $25K limit on the Sapphire, and would I be willing to reduce that. I said sure (I rarely carry a balance of more than $1-$2K, I pay my bills mid-month), they reduced it to $5K and gave me the Hyatt card.
I'm assuming they gave you the remaining 20k on the Hyatt? I'm thinking of applying for the Marriott card, but I just got the Sapphire Preferred around the first of the year. I'll probably have to do the same thing if I apply. I just want to make sure I don't lose any available credit.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Thanks for you advice. I called them and answered couple of questions. First they said they had to decrease my credit line from another card so they could approve for the ink card but I already have spent a lot of money on other accounts so they could not reduce my credit line.

Anyway, they decided to just increase my credit line and approved me for the ink bold card.

I think I got lucky because I just applied and got the united explorer card less than a month ago since people say you should wait at least 3 months for another application.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:15 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IamHungry
I think I got lucky because I just applied and got the united explorer card less than a month ago since people say you should wait at least 3 months for another application.
It seems like the reality is that the wait is really something like 60 days between automatic approvals. Most reports are that you can apply every 30 days or less, if you're willing to have a reconsideration call - which works out, most of the time, as you discovered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.