Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by dracs
Hello Jeelele ,

Thanks for your reply. Jeelele , I called the number mentioned in the first post to speak to human and that number is of fraud dept, Also Jeelele , you must see the difference between both of our profiles, I have 5 accounts opened in october last year and you have 2 in 2009. Rest my score is in 720's but that shouldn't matter , they stressed on they would like to see how I handle so many credit/ cards and ya its its point to funny as well as embarrassing when I call and they know I am calling regarding decision on BA card :P
Check the main BA 100K thread for some recent inputs.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: US,PC
4th Try ( Rejected again )

I called the 800-480-1870 and this is direct line to lending department. Asked about my application and she said it has been declined, Surprise . Asked reason , same old blah blah too may app in last 6 months, Tried to explain that using responsibly , but they said 6 months is too small period to be considered. Explained that last 3 years have no single instance of late payment or anything but she said too many credit card.....blah blah and we are concerned how you handle them. You also don't have any established account ( 4 years old ) and just 3 months back chase has issued you another card. We have given a lot more limit than other card issuersand can't give more limit. I told them , no need for any limit and can move from my other card to this and was thinking of closing one which not using much. But again record starts....too many...blah blah blah...and can sent another letter why we can't re consider this time ...I told them this card is for collecting miles for this airline since it flies internationally and recent chase card is for versatile use ( chase freeedom ) but again...blah blah....

Gave all options that if I close other accounts ( other credit cards , will it help) ...NO..not this time...

End result NO.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:13 pm

I have just got the BA Chase visa 50 days ago, and I am planning to get one Marriott or Priority club Chase card, so according to your suggestion, I should wait for 4 months to apply the new chase card?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:12 pm
HCA

Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
I have just got the BA Chase visa 50 days ago, and I am planning to get one Marriott or Priority club Chase card, so according to your suggestion, I should wait for 4 months to apply the new chase card?
Anyone has experience get approved even the previous card was within six months?

Same siutation here, I would like to get Chase Marriott (50k) or Chase United by my next round CC application (probably only "very" few this time).
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:34 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I applied for and was approved for the BA card last November. Somewhat to my surprise, my application last week for the Marriott card was also approved, and they did not cut the credit line on my BA card.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
I applied for and was approved for the BA card last November. Somewhat to my surprise, my application last week for the Marriott card was also approved, and they did not cut the credit line on my BA card.
My wife got the BA card in November, and was just approved for the WN card. Both have high credit lines. The BA line wasn't touched.

Clearly, there is no hard-and-fast six month rule.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Originally Posted by HCA
Anyone has experience get approved even the previous card was within six months?
Sorry for the late reply here but this may still help. I have pretty good credit and a fairly long credit history. I applied for the Chase BA Visa back in November for the 100,000 miles promo. I had a Chase United and Chase Marriott card at the time and had also just opened an AMEX Starwood card account a month or two before. I was first rejected by Chase because of "too many inquiries and open accounts", but I called to explain that I wanted this card (and this is where I stretched the truth a bit) because of the higher everyday point ratio, 1.25 miles per dollar as opposed to 1 point per dollar that I get on my AMEX card. After hearing this I was approved. I recently (about a month ago) applied for an got approved for a Chase Southwest VISA (standard 16 bonus credit after first use offer) with no issues.

So long story short, I was approved for a new Chase card even after opening another Chase account 3-4 months prior, and with a total of 3 personal Chase card accounts already open.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
So long story short, I was approved for a new Chase card even after opening another Chase account 3-4 months prior, and with a total of 3 personal Chase card accounts already open.
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I had opened a Chase Marriott card at the end of last year and wanted to switch over to a Chase UA card in March. I was initially denied, but when I called in and got through three levels of CSRs, someone was finally able to authorize my new Chase UA card. In theory, my Marriott card was supposed to be closed, but it still appears to be open, just with a $100 credit limit while my new UA card has the credit limit that the Marriott card originally had. The lower level CSRs were adamant that there was no way to get the denial reconsidered but being persistent paid off. Even got the new card bonus on the UA one in addition to the new card bonus on the Marriott one.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
The statistical correlation between high credit inquiries and deterioration in credit quality is quite high; not as high as delinquencies, but still high. Credit policy almost always mandates such declines. Not just Chase, but every well-informed credit card issuer. Where exceptions happen they almost always have long relationships, high deposit balances or other direct supporting evidence.

Moral: apply for credit only when you really want it. Don't do so often, and don't shop via the application process. That goes for any category of credit, not just cards.

There are a handful of threads about these issues, several of which have opinions from people who have formulated or administered credit policy. I am one of those.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Moral: apply for credit only when you really want it.
What? Why would I actually want credit ever? I think I speak for most of us here when I say I'm just in this for the bonus miles. Otherwise I'd be happy to pay for everything with cash or debit.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
The statistical correlation between high credit inquiries and deterioration in credit quality is quite high; not as high as delinquencies, but still high. Credit policy almost always mandates such declines. Not just Chase, but every well-informed credit card issuer. Where exceptions happen they almost always have long relationships, high deposit balances or other direct supporting evidence.

Moral: apply for credit only when you really want it. Don't do so often, and don't shop via the application process. That goes for any category of credit, not just cards.

There are a handful of threads about these issues, several of which have opinions from people who have formulated or administered credit policy. I am one of those.
While I can't refute the correlation that you cite, does that necessarily determine how a credit reviewer will use that information? For example, when the Citi churn was still on, many people were applying for 2 or more cards every 60 days. That high level of applications over a short period of time may have indicated that the group doing that was a bigger credit risk, but Citi didn't care, so it made no difference.

Moreover, Chase is offering, at least in select cases (which I can confirm) to waive the 6 month rule and issue subsequent cards if one or more existing ones are closed, even if this results in a big increase in available credit, point to point. Multiple applications may indicate a lesser credit, but this does not seem a rational way to deal with that.

I agree with your advice to use credit wisely. For many of us on FT, that is done by actively pursuing the attractive offers made with affinity cards.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
What if you apply for and get approved for a second or third Chase card, do you ever get the bonus miles? I recently got a second card while still keeping the first account open and then got a letter saying I was not entitled to the first time bonus miles. I called to close the account and Chase didn't make me any offer to keep it open. I only opened the account for the miles.

How long should I wait to apply for another Chase card that will give me the bonus sign up miles or will it not ever happen again?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Do you guys check yes for the question about whether you have opened a card within the past 6 mths?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:42 pm

Chase Marriott

I am not sure if this covers earlier but tonight I applied for a Chase Marriott card though I have received bonus points for this card a few years ago. Does anyone know if Chase will give me the bonus points on this application? I am hoping that they will since is certainly much more than 6 months ago since I had this card.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.