Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Signed myself up for the Ink Bold w/ 50K. Said we'll let you know in 10 days. Called about an hour after applying and talked to the reconsideration line to see if I could expedite it (got bills to pay that I want to get it for the 5x points). They asked me a range of questions (how long in biz, annual rev, annual profit, etc), came back, asked how much I needed to charge every month (since it's a charge card), told them probably with this card only about $5K a month, back on hold, came back and said approved with $15K "limit", even though it's a charge card. Also said she'd overnight me the card, so hopefully I will get it Tuesday. Nice job Chase.

Also applied for the Mrs. for Sapp Pref (was afraid the offer may go down soon, but wanted to wait until after I received my 7% bonus, so it wouldn't be before the annual fee was due next year). Approved instantly online. Haven't asked for the card to be expedited because the Mrs. hates talking on the phone to CC companies. In about 2 months we'll knock out the spending requirements, and get another 100K UR points.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:59 pm

Caution on the United MileagePlus Explorer Chase Visa card offer of 60,000 bonus miles (50K on first use, 10K after $25K of use), first year free, $95/year after that. If you cancel your card before you get a chance to use those miles, your miles will EXPIRE! They won't be posted to your account for 6-8 weeks, so it looks like you get about a 10 month window to use the miles if you can do it.

the offer:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPYoureIn60kAFW.aspx

the terms: click details buttons on lower L of screen

Mileage Expiration:
Your miles will not expire as long as there is activity on your credit card account, including paying your annual membership fee, and the credit card account is open and not in default. Upon cancellation of your credit card account your miles will expire according to the MileagePlus Program Rules.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by milemaster
Caution on the United MileagePlus Explorer Chase Visa card offer of 60,000 bonus miles (50K on first use, 10K after $25K of use), first year free, $95/year after that. If you cancel your card before you get a chance to use those miles, your miles will EXPIRE! They won't be posted to your account for 6-8 weeks, so it looks like you get about a 10 month window to use the miles if you can do it.

the offer:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPYoureIn60kAFW.aspx

the terms: click details buttons on lower L of screen
The miles will not expire if you have any other mileage activity, earn, use, buy, etc miles on the MP acct every 18months or so.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Got my first Biz Chase card today, and tried to add it to my personal Chase account login. Shockingly, it wouldn't work. I call Chase up to add it, and they say "No can do sir. Our IT dept isnt as good as Am Ex's". Ok, maybe I made the last part up.

But seriously....come on Chase. I can log on to Am Ex and see all my biz and personal accounts together. But you're going to make me have 2 different logins to remember? That makes no sense. And so now does that mean my UR points won't automatically go into my personal chase account? That's disappointing.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL
Got my first Biz Chase card today, and tried to add it to my personal Chase account login. Shockingly, it wouldn't work. I call Chase up to add it, and they say "No can do sir. Our IT dept isnt as good as Am Ex's". Ok, maybe I made the last part up.

But seriously....come on Chase. I can log on to Am Ex and see all my biz and personal accounts together. But you're going to make me have 2 different logins to remember? That makes no sense. And so now does that mean my UR points won't automatically go into my personal chase account? That's disappointing.
Unlike Membership Rewards, which do pool for all your accounts, Ultimate Rewards are separate for each card, but can be combined however you choose to do it and between other people's accounts which you can't do with MR. Each has it's short comings, I was just as shocked that I couldn't put my business account under my personal login, but Amex is much less customer friendly.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL

I have both business and personal cards and business and personal checking all under one login for years. IIRC I had to start on the business side and add my personal accounts.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:56 am

Chase app timing

I'm aiming to build up my MileagePlus account and got the United Explorer a few weeks ago in mid-January with a 50k sign-up bonus. Now I've been sold on the merits of the Sapphire Preferred for its no-foreign-transaction-fee and travel-friendly points structure (not to mention the 50k bonus).

Should I wait a few months to apply for another Chase card? Would they even accept my app if I tried? I'm worried that if I wait, the 50k bonus will expire, reducing the appeal.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: US Air Silver, UA, WN CP, PC Plat, Hilton Gold, BW Diamond
I (Newbie) applied for the Explorer on 1/5/12 and for the Sapphire on 1/11/12. I had no idea what I was doing and just applied for them because I wanted the bonus. Instant approval on Explorer and transferred credit to the Sapphire from an old no fee Chase card. I also picked up the OnePass 4/2011.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Do you have any other recent apps with Chase or otherwise? Do you have any other Chase cards?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: Lotz
2 every 60 days. Preferably one every 30.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:19 am
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
As long as you don't haven't done any Chase apps before the United and your credit is in good condition they will approve you for the Sapphire.

I consulted a true newbie last week and he was instantly approved for the United then 5 min. later approved for the Sapphire via the reconsideration phone call.

Just be ready to explain why you want the Sapphire. That's easy enough it's a great card.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: As many as I can!
If this is your first Chase application or if you haven't applied for a lot of Chase cards recently, you should be fine. You'll have to call the reconsideration line to get approved, but it should be fairly easy.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:08 pm

Thanks, all! The UA card was indeed my first Chase app and I have good credit. So I'll wait another couple weeks before getting SP.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
I applied for the Chase Southwest Airlines Business card last week to get the 16 RR credits & a free flight. Yesterday I received the rejection letter that said I was rejected because of: too many requests or opened accounts with us.

A little background:
*I have a Chase (no fee) UA card that I've had for at least three years
*I applied for, and received, the Chase British Airways (BA) card in November
*I have not applied for any other Chase cards in the past 12 months

Being an optimistic person I decided to call the # on the rejection letter and plead my case. The lady I talked to said the only reason I was rejected was because I had applied for & received a Chase card (BA card) within the last six months. She said a credit report was NOT pulled. I told her I really needed the card for my business spending (true), that my credit was very good (true) and that I had been a loyal Chase customer for many years (true).

She then preceded to question me about my business income. She wanted gross & net figures from my 2008 & 2009 tax returns. I gave her the actual figures. She then asked what my other income was because the figures I gave her didn't add up to what I put on the application. I proceeded to give the other sources of income I have that are not taxable. She also asked me how long I had been self employed. Finally, she said: I will approve your application with a $5K CL and you should receive your card in 7-10 days.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, of course. Hey, I'm a fighter, what can I say. Having an arbitrary "one card per six months" rule seems crazy to me. But, it's their business to run as they see fit.

I'm not 100% positive if this policy is really a "policy" or something she concocted but I've read similar stories on the LONG Chase BA thread so I'm guessing it's probably true.

Of course, YMMV.

MORAL? Don't give up just because you were declined.
my CS used to be 785 790, about 15 months ago, since i opened about 6 or 7 cards in 15 months. my score has dropped about 25 points. in last 4 months, I opened chase SW card, BOA card, Chase SPC, all got approved without having to call. I wanted to try Chase Ink bold and CHASE SW business card but will wait 2 more months before i try. I always keep my utilization ratio at about 2% of credit limits, i always pay my credit card bills online every 5 days and never carry any balances . my score dropped big last month but now it has shot back. I am very unhappy about the comcast hard credit inquiries. maybe you guys don't know comcast does hard inquiry for internet customers, they have been pulling my credit every 6 months for the last 3 yrs cos i sign up for new promo every 6 months.
i will have to cancel my AMEX gold and premier rewards cards cos annual fee is coming up, they are not useful for me and they wouldn't let me change to a different card and only the charge cards. so even if they waive the annual fee which i doubt cos i haven't used them for many months now i will cancel them.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, UA Silver; 800K+ points 2012
Upon cancellation of your credit card account your miles will expire according to the MileagePlus Program Rules
Originally Posted by pcharles
The miles will not expire if you have any other mileage activity, earn, use, buy, etc miles on the MP acct every 18months or so.
So is the idea here that Chase is trying to implicitly threaten churn-type activity but really are powerless to do so once the miles are in your MP account?

- John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.