Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:36 pm
formerly mattrendell27

Thanks for all the tips. She is applying under her SSN not an EIN. I will try everything except I'm not sure about saying she's actually been in business for many years under a different entity because on my second call the CSR asked what my wife had done prior to her two years in this business and I said she was in college and graduated in 2013 (which is the truth). So I'm concerned the CSR may have put a note down about that so they would know I'm lying if I say she's been in business for many years.

Also, do you think it's a good idea to address one of the applications per call? The rep on my second call was concerned my wife had applied for two business cards and didn't understand why she had applied for two business cards (I talked about numerous features of both cards she enjoyed and why she wanted both but the rep didn't think my reasons justified having both cards or either one for that matter). The rep did ask at the beginning of the call which application I would like to discuss so I'm wondering if i should address one at a time. Maybe that would move the rep away from focusing on why there are two applications.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:36 pm
formerly mattrendell27

Thanks for all the tips. She is applying under her SSN not an EIN. I will try everything except I'm not sure about saying she's actually been in business for many years under a different entity because on my second call the CSR asked what my wife had done prior to her two years in this business and I said she was in college and graduated in 2013 (which is the truth). So I'm concerned the CSR may have put a note down about that so they would know I'm lying if I say she's been in business for many years.

Also, do you think it's a good idea to address one of the applications per call? The rep on my second call was concerned my wife had applied for two business cards and didn't understand why she had applied for two business cards (I talked about numerous features of both cards she enjoyed and why she wanted both but the rep didn't think my reasons justified having both cards or either one for that matter). The rep did ask at the beginning of the call which application I would like to discuss so I'm wondering if i should address one at a time. Maybe that would move the rep away from focusing on why there are two applications.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:47 pm
Suspended

If I cancel CSP (got bonus more than 2 years ago), can I reopen immediately, meet min spend, and get bonus again?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
If I cancel CSP (got bonus more than 2 years ago), can I reopen immediately, meet min spend, and get bonus again?
May I suggest you read the wiki, which discusses this issue?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
May I suggest you read the wiki, which discusses this issue?
Already read it and it didn't give me a straight answer. Just a bunch of conjecture.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: AA PLT
Already read it and it didn't give me a straight answer. Just a bunch of conjecture.

On the subject of wiki and conjecture... I'm looking for some recent data points on the Hyatt visa. does the timing of when you close your card impact ability to churn? it's been more than 2 years since I got my bonus but the card is still open. if I cancel today, am I eligible to churn immediately or is there some period in between required? The wiki says that prudent churners would wait at least a week or so, but has anyone had any recent experience to suggest a longer wait time is advisable?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Hi,

I need some advice for a recon call. My wife got denied on two apps, 1 for a Chase Ink Plus and 1 for a Chase Southwest Business Premier. One denial reason was for "too many open accounts with us" and the other for "business too new" and both reps said they need to see a longer business history. My wife has been a self employed graphic designer for two years making a profit both years. I've seen lots of data points that show that you don't need a long business history at all (many people report being approved while they are still establishing the business and have no income at all). I offered to move credit lines over from her personal cards (CSP and Freedom) but they were not interested in doing that at all. Am I just having bad luck and getting unhelpful CSR's? Is there anything anyone can suggest I say to have a more successful recon call?
It's pretty clear actually. Says that no one knows and it is best to wait a couple of weeks. You're looking for an answer that does not exist, but are ignoring a pretty good guideline and then complaining that there is no clear answer. You have enough posts here and should know that most things on FT are not 100% clear.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:52 pm

Hey guys,

I am not a clever man. I got approved for a UA business card without considering that I received the same bonus, on the same card, back in 08/2013. I realize I do not qualify for the bonus because of the 24 month policy. But I was wondering if that policy is really enforced.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this situation?

I am considering cancelling the card. ;\
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by 335Flyer
Hey guys,

I am not a clever man. I got approved for a UA business card without considering that I received the same bonus, on the same card, back in 08/2013. I realize I do not qualify for the bonus because of the 24 month policy. But I was wondering if that policy is really enforced.

Some people have guessed that they do not enforce the policy, I am not so optimistic. You don't have much to lose since you already got a hard pull. If you don't get the bonus, you can cancel then apply in August again. Sorry, no personal experience to help out with, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 335Flyer
Hey guys,

Its my understanding that if Chase is going to deny you a bonus, they will mail you a notice about that some where between one month and two months after the app. With the AF waived the first year I don't see any advantage to canceling before you get that notice from Chase.

You have three months to do the min spnd, so wait two months to see if you get that notice. If you don't, be prepared to do the min spnd in the next couple of weeks so that the charges post in time to qualify for the bonus.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:16 am

I brought this topic up probably a month or so ago and at the time there were yet no data points. I apologize for not having read the many pages since and would be thankful to anyone who has a top-of-their-head answer...

For the BA card, back when they had the bonus structure that was 50/25/25, does anyone know if they are counting the two years (to receive another bonus) as from the date of the first 50 or the last 25? In my case the two were about 9 months apart, so this would make a big difference!

And if there is no data, I will be glad to be the test case and use Brugge's method of apply/receive card/wait for no-bonus letter/spend or cancel. But I figured I'd ask in case there's no need to reinvent the wheel.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:57 am

I am going to drop my CSP down to CS (if that still exists), and keep my Ink Bold.

However, what I'd really like to do is drop the CSP to CS, cancel the Bold, and get the Ink plus, so I can get another 50,000 Chase UR.

MY question is...

1. should I instead just drop the Ink Bold to Ink Cash and then apply for the Plus?

2. Do as I mentioned, which is cancel the Bold and apply for the Plus?

3. Some other plan!

I currently have 6 Chase cards (CSP, Bold, Freedom, BP Rewards, IHG, United). Keeping the BP card because it's my oldest card.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by nonstopski
I am going to drop my CSP down to CS (if that still exists), and keep my Ink Bold.

However, what I'd really like to do is drop the CSP to CS, cancel the Bold, and get the Ink plus, so I can get another 50,000 Chase UR.

MY question is...

1. should I instead just drop the Ink Bold to Ink Cash and then apply for the Plus?

2. Do as I mentioned, which is cancel the Bold and apply for the Plus?

3. Some other plan!

I currently have 6 Chase cards (CSP, Bold, Freedom, BP Rewards, IHG, United). Keeping the BP card because it's my oldest card.
If you are cancelling cards because you think Chase will say you have enough cards with us already, that is risky. They might have given you the additional card anyway or they could say you have too many cards despite your cancellation of one business card. If it was me I would apply for the new Ink card and try to recon it into existence. If you don't think that will work, then cancel the Bold and wait a couple months before applying for the Plus. You should lower the credit limit of your existing cards to free up credit in your account. If that BP card is unused but you value its age, reduce the CL down to the minimum. 6 cards is a lot with Chase and it depends when you got them too. If it was mostly within last year, getting the Plus will be tougher but this is a YMMV.. whether to risk the HP and denial is your call based on how good you are with recon and other personal credit factors. Closing cards and lowering CLs will probably help your chances of approval, but if you apply a week after you closed Bold, don't expect Chase to just ignore that.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Seems like the Chase approval process has become a little more difficult recently. We’ve seen reports of business card application reconsiderations meeting with highly invasive interrogations, I had that experience a few months ago. Now I’m having a new experience with a personal card application done on-line 2 weeks ago for which I received a “… further review … may take up to 30 days …” response. I’ve had that experience in the past but upon calling a reconsideration line have always been able to move credit or close a card and get approved during that phone call. This time I’ve called a reconsideration line twice and been told each time that it’s still pending and they cannot look at it or expedite the decision, they’ll let me know when they let me know. (No recent significant changes to my credit history, rating over 800, blah, blah, blah.) Perhaps personal card application reconsiderations are going the way of business card application reconsiderations? I’m curious if others have had similar experiences recently and if this should be cause for concern. Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:46 pm

There is a reason why folks are reducing their CL proactively to reduce chance of recon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.