Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah the 5X is tempting.

But the 2X on travel is nice too. I don't have an airline card (kept CSP instead) so I use CSP for airline tickets and hotels.

Ink Plus says they give 2X on hotels but only if booked through hotel site, not a third party like booking.com or Expedia.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Four cards, nice CL

I am coming to the end of the my term with Slate. The balance will be paid in full over the next few weeks and I will keep it open but don't see the benefit of use with a regular APR.

The total CL I have over four cards with Slate holding at $35K, Freedom at $20K, and Marriott and UA hanging out with the caboose. Total: $59K

What card should I let go and what should I apply for expecting a reconsideration call due to the high limit I already have? Should I also transfer a portion of CL from Slate to Freedom?

I recently closed my WN after one year anniversary (Nov.,maybe). Would anyone recommend applying for a new WN account again?

The other idea is HGI.

Of all the cards mentioned here, WN earning opps are most likely. Thoughts?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:35 pm

Too many applications/timing

I recently applied for 3 Chase CCs on the same day (Dec. 18th, 2014) including SWA Premiere, Marriott and SWA Premiere Business

I was approved for the first two and denied for the Business card. I was told (on 3 different recon calls) that Chase wouldn't allow three applications within a 30 day period.

It's been over 30 days now (almost 60), and I was wondering what type of timing you would suggest to apply for the SWA Plus or Premiere Business (again) card.

I've seen 90 days mentioned vaguely, but not sure if there are any rules or data points that I should be aware of.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Many people are approved with 3 Chase application in the same day. When it comes to business card, then it is really tricky. If you can justify the need of the card, then you can apply.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by fl9999
Many people are approved with 3 Chase application in the same day. When it comes to business card, then it is really tricky. If you can justify the need of the card, then you can apply.
Very interesting thanks. I found it very odd that 4 different CSRs swore up and down that there was a policy to not approve 3 cards in 30 days.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:07 am

I wonder if 3 approvals are only possible if they are all instant. Once you hit the reconsideration queue, that's when the "policy" kicks in.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by ninjaFred
I wonder if 3 approvals are only possible if they are all instant. Once you hit the reconsideration queue, that's when the "policy" kicks in.
That could be, especially because all three of mine were 'non-instant'... Had to wait a few weeks before they were eventually approved.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:06 pm

I just churned my IHG card and am waiting for it to be deliverd. I see that Hyatt has a good deal going with a $50 statement and 2 free nights so I'd like to do the same with my 3 year old Hyatt card. I have a 808 credit score.

Should I just close my Hyatt card and re-apply right away?

Wait a couple days after I close it to reapply?

Because I just had a credit pull and approval should I wait some time between apps?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Yesterday, I had a CSR ask me about all the cc's opened over the last 24 months - not just accounts being opened through them...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:02 am

How long can it take for Chase to review the application? I applied 40 days ago, it took several weeks for them to go through "validation department" simply to check my driver's license (although I am Chase customer for about 12 years) and now it's pending for 3 weeks with lending department. The phone application status says "it is being reviewed. You will be notified by mail within 2 weeks". But I've heard the same status 3 weeks ago.
I don't want to call, hoping for approval without talking to CSR.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by groundhog
How long can it take for Chase to review the application? I applied 40 days ago, it took several weeks for them to go through "validation department" simply to check my driver's license (although I am Chase customer for about 12 years) and now it's pending for 3 weeks with lending department. The phone application status says "it is being reviewed. You will be notified by mail within 2 weeks". But I've heard the same status 3 weeks ago.
I don't want to call, hoping for approval without talking to CSR.
I have to say that waiting for 40 days to avoid calling recon has to be some sort of record.. I usually cannot wait 4 minutes, nevermind 40 days. Call them if you want your card. Be honest and give a good reason why you need the new product - split spend, shuffling around banking relationships, new flying or expense activity. Sure there is a chance you will get approved but if you had called right away you would have likely met the minimum spend requirement already. Isn't that worth a 10 minute phone call?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
I have to say that waiting for 40 days to avoid calling recon has to be some sort of record.. I usually cannot wait 4 minutes, nevermind 40 days. Call them if you want your card. Be honest and give a good reason why you need the new product - split spend, shuffling around banking relationships, new flying or expense activity. Sure there is a chance you will get approved but if you had called right away you would have likely met the minimum spend requirement already. Isn't that worth a 10 minute phone call?
I have already called recon originally on the same day when I applied. And it was tough ("too many recent applications"), but she said she would recommend it for opening if I agree to reduce the credit line on another card.
But after that it went to "verification department", got stuck for few weeks, now it's pending again with lending. I don't want to call again because one CSR has already "approved" it after lots of questions, so I don't want to answer all these questions again.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
I have already called recon originally on the same day when I applied. And it was tough ("too many recent applications"), but she said she would recommend it for opening if I agree to reduce the credit line on another card.
But after that it went to "verification department", got stuck for few weeks, now it's pending again with lending. I don't want to call again because one CSR has already "approved" it after lots of questions, so I don't want to answer all these questions again.
Seems like a really long time for an approval. It's up to you but I would start thinking at this point that it was not happening so would be inclined to call. They shouldn't ask you the same questions again if everything is in their system. I've been asked to verify info but rarely repeat info.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:56 pm

Agree with starbuck. Call again. There's no money in waiting. What's the worst thing that could happen? You already survived one grill session, and more than likely you won't get another.

I had the exact thing happen a week ago. Deferred, called immediately (as one should), got grilled, then approved if I moved CL from another card. After no evidence of the approval (no reduction in CL from the existing line) for a few days, I decided to call again. Stuck in verification, according to the analyst. A few minutes on hold, and she came back with news of the final approval. Done and done.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Does Chase do a 2nd HP if applying for a cc & checking acct on the same day? If they do, I'll just forgo the pull and opt for a CU that pulls EQ instead.

Last edited by skitch23; Feb 21, 2015 at 7:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.